• Advertisement

What do to when the woman is the man in the family?

For all the lady preppers out there

Moderators: mmpaints, medic94

Re: What do to when the woman is the man in the family?

Postby IceFire » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:37 pm

Welcome back, Bilbo!
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Bilbo » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:08 am

Thank you, IceFire! :)
Bilbo

Postby SurvivIt » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:57 pm

Congtatulations on your resurrection. Enjoy!
SurvivIt

Postby plankton » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:17 pm

Welcome back, Bilbo! Whatcha been prepping? :)
plankton
New Hampshire Preppers Network
New Hampshire Preppers Network

Postby catfeet » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:32 pm

Sorry about your troubles, glad you're back! Whatcha doing?
catfeet
Vermont Preppers Network
Vermont Preppers Network

Postby Alaska Rose » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:12 am

Sorry you broke up but it is far better to be alone than with the wrong one. I really know that from experience, lol.
Welcome back.
https://www.createspace.com/4043866
Don't Use A Chainsaw In The Kitchen (Volume 1)
How-To and Cookbook. Butchering, gardening, baking, canning, building a trapper cabin and short autobiography all in one.
https://www.createspace.com/4910851 ....And Then You Die - autobiography
Image Image
Alaska Rose
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby Bilbo » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:02 am

Thanks for the welcomes back, all. :D

As for my preps, I've just been mostly getting my existing preps better organized. Plus, I made some more lemon concentrate and limoncello. Also, I invested in some silver.

It's getting to be gardening season, so I need to start focusing my efforts there. I have not had a garden before now, and I have a lot of work to do to build some raised beds, etc. I'm also about to move house temporarily and do some house remodeling, and then move back in. So I'm pretty swamped!
Bilbo

Postby Blaundee » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:28 pm

Be patient with him. It took a while for my hubby to start to see things my way, and he still doesn't fully... but that's why he has a wife, to take care of those aspects. :)
Blaundee

Postby Blaundee » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:30 pm

I see you broke up- I posted before reading all of the pages. Find a prepper man!!!! I'm sure there are some single guys on this site who'd be thrilled to have a prepper woman!!!
Blaundee

Postby PeculiarPeople » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:16 pm

daaswampman wrote: Is this a man you can love and respect in the long run? Is this a man you will trust to have your back and stand up for you - if you can't? Find a man and ditch the boyfriend. In the world that is coming you will want a man by your side. Swamp

This is kind-a what I was thinking.

EDIT:
just read more of the posts, something I should have done first before posting... ;) :blush:
I'm sure you will run into someone whom you have more in common with, now that you are so extreme! :)
:thumbsup:
PeculiarPeople

Postby Bloom » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:51 am

First, I'm sorry about breaking up. Even if it's the right thing to do, its hard.

I've seen a lot of advice about 'finding someone else'. in order to be really happy, a person needs to be able to be alone. Not that they have to STAY alone but have the ability to be alone and find out who they are. Spend time on yourself. I don't say this lightheartedly. I was a serial monogamist for many years. Then I broke up to be ALONE. To live alone and take care of myself. At first it was lonely and horrible. I spend a lot of time getting out with people to keep from being alone. Slowly, I began to look forward to my time alone. I got to know myself. it was the most liberating and miserable period in my life but I wouldn't change it for anything. The misery did fade and I forgot about needing to 'find someone' to complete me. Much later, someone appeared and we had a mutual interest. I had to do a lot of soul searching because I had found inner peace and it wasn't defined by 'having the right guy'.

I was more reserved and had much higher standards than I ever did in the past. I didn't make excuses for things like I did in the past. We ended up married but as equals. We support each other and even when we disagree, its not personal. We don't NEED each other and we're not defined by our relationship.

I guess what I'm saying is that 'finding the right guy' isn't the answer. The answer is being happy in your own skin. You sound like you're already a confident, mature, stable, and strong person. Good for you for not settling. Life is too short. get on with your preps and your garden.
Bloom

Postby PittPrepper » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:50 pm

I'm feminine, but played percussion, heavy into the VW tuning scene and now guns and preps. My DH rolls with it. 15 years married like a flash.
PittPrepper
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby writerbug » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:33 pm

I just ran across this thread -- sorry about your breakup and pain but you never know what might happen. It could be this was a good thing for you both.

I've been prepping since around 2007, and my hubby (been together 32 years now, married 25) has seen and laughed at me do some weird things (weird to him anyway). I wouldn't say I'm the man or anything like that but he still is not woken up to what's going on in the world. I've seen him in emergency situations, though (we had a wildfire about ten years ago) and he has a good head on his shoulders when it counts.

Anyways, here in Oklahoma people all have guns and a lot prep anyway since we get ice storms and such, so it's not like it's that strange here. And most of the stuff I do is knowledge type stuff these days and it's not like I need to hide that. ;)
writerbug

Postby orangetom1999 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:05 pm

Bilbo,

Sorry to hear about your relationship going south..but in my opinion ..and that is all it is ..is my opinion...I think you are better off without him.

You are not looking for a man who is or may be "Higher Maintenance" than yourself.

You are looking for a man with "Confidence" skills and abilities...outside of a television and movie education....who can think and act outside the box of what passes for excellence or even normal today. You are looking for someone who can function in an abnormal environment.

Much of what we do in prepping requires that we think outside of most of what passes for "intelligence and enlightenment" today ..even what passes for normal.

I want to tell you something which may anger alot of the males out here ..many of the females as well..but let the cards fall where they may.

Much of what passes for male today is "High Maintenance." They are quite feminine. Very good at consumptions rates and text messaging but take them out of that environment..and they can be like fish out of water. They can dress nicely ...quote all the latest drivel and jokes from television and movies..but not good for much else.

Good that you are looking at gardening...I do the same here in addition to using my food saver vacuum sealer to vacuum seal seeds for storage.

I vacuum many items rice, beans, but seeds are a good long term investment if you can keep them dry and a vacuum seal serves this purpose nicely.

Precious metals too. You are not necessarily looking to sell it ..but to barter with it in hard times. Same thing with ammunition..it may be money at some later date. A couple of .45s and some .22 long rifle for small change.

What would a comb be to a balding head like mine...but to the guy with four daughters and a wife..it would be gold.

Well...I think you get the picture.

As to a gun/firearm...I find no fault in your reasoning provided you learn to handle it safely and shoot successfully at what you are aiming.

The advice about the fishing Yo Yo gadgets is a good one. Other simple fishing tools as well..tailored for the area and fishing close to where you live.

I live on the Eastern Seaboard..both fresh and salt water fishing here..and my gear is tailored for this

Fishing is much easier than hunting...many of the animals have home court advantage out in the woods unless you have lots of experience.

At some point if possible..I also recommend a shotgun...various sizes/gauges...whatever you prefer. They are very flexible...as to the ammunition..preferably a pump shotgun..good for squirrels to larger game. Put back plenty of ammo for both the handgun and shotgun. Shotgun is the perfect tool for protection as well as hunting..due to it's ammunition flexibility..the different kinds of fodder you can put in it.

America was settled primarily by the shotgun..not rifles and pistols per se. They don't usually teach you this in public schools and the movies. If people could afford only one gun it was a shotgun...and many of our forefathers could only afford one gun..they were genuinely that poor....even a single shot percussion cap or flintlock shotgun.

Bilbo...you do what you have to do survive..for you and your family . This means stowing or compartmentalizing the emotions..not giving into them ..including fears and insecurities. You plan and prep to be more secure when and if the time comes.

After Hurricane Isabell..years ago...it was interesting to see the people who had not prepped except for tonight's game on the boob tube. They were stuck dead in their tracks.

Some of us had two way radios and generators...battery systems et al..we knew who had electricity or not...for ten days as thing returned back to normal..and Isabell was not a bad storm like Sandy or Katrina.

I have little use for people who can prepare for tonight's television program but not for hard times. Don't let them make you and your family into "High Maintenance" paper weights like them. Full of fears and insecurities.

It is your monies and your time. I don't tell someone else what to do with their time and monies. I might suggest but it is up to them. It is their responsibility as well as their time and monies...earned by their risks/labors.

Ditch the drama queens and think things through for yourself...with reason, logic, and yes..even Faith if you are of that nature.

You are off to a good start..congratulations.

Thanks,
Orangetom
orangetom1999

Postby kaynurse » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:44 pm

I love your post!
I am a single mom of 3 children. anytime I even mention prepping to a potential boyfriend, I get the "dear in the head lights" look.
I have bought a gun, do gardening, now a few chickens and am even thinking about starting an aquaponics garden.
I feel your pain. I guess I will have to do it all myself.
Enough of my whining
rnprepper
Chattanooga, TN/North GA.
kaynurse

PreviousNext

Return to Ladies Section