• Advertisement

Tampon/Pad Self-Sufficiency

For all the lady preppers out there

Moderators: mmpaints, medic94

Tampon/Pad Self-Sufficiency

Postby suburbanlatecomer » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:55 pm

Hi! I'm a newbie and I've been encouraged to share MY ideas (who ME?). So ... the ONLY thing I feel like I have nailed down at this early point for SHTF is the tampon/pad issue. I've used a moon cup for many years. It completely and permanently replaces all sanitary products. It's made of medical-grade silicone and comes with a cute fabric pouch. Takes a little getting used to and if you've never used tampons it may not be for you. But after a couple of cycles it was super easy AND ... [drumroll] ... no tampon leaks or pad-shifting stains! That alone is worth the price of admission, ladies. Here's the link and feel free to private message me.

http://www.mooncup.co.uk/
suburbanlatecomer

Re: Tampon/Pad Self-Sufficiency

Postby galnextdoor » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:31 pm

They sell products like this at stores in the US. I believe it is marketed as "Instead". I haven't used the product so I couldn't say if it is reusable or not.
galnextdoor

Postby mrstuttle » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:42 pm

suburbanlatecomer wrote:Hi! I'm a newbie and I've been encouraged to share MY ideas (who ME?). So ... the ONLY thing I feel like I have nailed down at this early point for SHTF is the tampon/pad issue. I've used a moon cup for many years. It completely and permanently replaces all sanitary products. It's made of medical-grade silicone and comes with a cute fabric pouch. Takes a little getting used to and if you've never used tampons it may not be for you. But after a couple of cycles it was super easy AND ... [drumroll] ... no tampon leaks or pad-shifting stains! That alone is worth the price of admission, ladies. Here's the link and feel free to private message me.

where would i get one to try it?
mrstuttle

Postby suburbanlatecomer » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:55 pm

Mrstuttle, I don't think there's a menstrual cup in the major stores that's designed similarly to the mooncup (or Lunette or Meluna and others ...). However, there are disposable menstrual cups at Walgreens, etc., like Instead and Softcup. Those are similar to the old diaphragms that I guess some people still use for birth control: there's a thick flexible ring at the rim, then the "cup", made from condom-like material. They are supposed to be worn for 12 hours or so and thrown away. But that disposable design doesn't solve the problem in the SHTF sense. You'll need more! The mooncup is a different design and you won't need more -- The whole thing, rim and cup, are molded semi-rigid silicone. You fold it vertically to insert it. When I bought it I liked that it was a one-time $30 investment vs. $50+ yearly for tampons & liners. The website and testimonials led me to believe it would last a lifetime. I notice that other brands of the same design as the mooncup (which all come from US-based companies) "suggest" that they be used for a year. I don't know if there's a difference in the materials that makes that a good idea, but I strongly suspect it's motivated by profit. Personally, I don't see a cheap way to try this long-lasting design. I told my best friend I was going to try it and had every intention of passing it on for half price (sanitzed) if I didn't like it. In the end, she had to buy her own :)
suburbanlatecomer

Postby Mollypup » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:33 pm

suburbanlatecomer wrote:Hi! I'm a newbie and I've been encouraged to share MY ideas (who ME?). So ... the ONLY thing I feel like I have nailed down at this early point for SHTF is the tampon/pad issue. I've used a moon cup for many years. It completely and permanently replaces all sanitary products. It's made of medical-grade silicone and comes with a cute fabric pouch. Takes a little getting used to and if you've never used tampons it may not be for you. But after a couple of cycles it was super easy AND ... [drumroll] ... no tampon leaks or pad-shifting stains! That alone is worth the price of admission, ladies. Here's the link and feel free to private message me.

Thankfully this is no longer an issue for me :) However this would have me jumping up and down for joy prior to menopause. I'm going to tell my daughters........they can decide. Great idea! :clap:
Mollypup
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Postby suburbanlatecomer » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:10 pm

I know, Mollypup! If my preps are ever done enough and I turn to stocking up for barter, these may trump antibiotics AND lighters ...
suburbanlatecomer

Postby PittPrepper » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:24 pm

That's fantastic. Wish I had known of that earlier. I think I'm on my way out of that phase
PittPrepper
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby PrepsterGirl » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:51 pm

This is great info, thank you so much! I'm going to try it.

I already have 2 storage bins of tampons and liners that I hope will take me to menopause, but love the idea of this permanent solution. :thumbsup:
PrepsterGirl

Postby Gallimaufry » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:24 pm

PrepsterGirl wrote:This is great info, thank you so much! I'm going to try it.

I already have 2 storage bins of tampons and liners that I hope will take me to menopause, but love the idea of this permanent solution. :thumbsup:

And if you don't need them, they'd probably be good for bartering. Also, I read somewhere that tampons could be used to plug up a deep puncture wound as a temporary way to control the bleeding. Not sure if that's true, but I do know that maternity pads can be used for gut wounds.

M.
Gallimaufry
New York Preppers Network
New York Preppers Network

Postby RaigenB » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:28 pm

I've been wondering about this too.. lol thank goodness I found this post and thank you for sharing!!
"By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail." - Benjamin Franklin
RaigenB
Indiana Preppers Network
Indiana Preppers Network

Postby mel1028 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:37 am

In the US, Diva Cup is all the rage now :) It sounds like exactly the same thing. I don't think you can buy them in any stores yet, but they are easy to buy online. I've never been able to do tampons, so I can't see the diva cup working for me. Instead, a couple months ago I started looking into cloth menstural pads. I know, ewwww!!, right? lol But I bought a couple to try out, and I'm sold on them! Last month I finally made a 'bulk' purchase so I have enough for a cycle. I'm sure they eventually will wear out, but they are supposed to last at least 5 years. And its really not as gross or as difficult to clean them as I thought it would be. http://www.etsy.com/people/ericmandybarnett , these are the ones I ended up getting. So far the quality is great and the price is really great compared to most!
mel1028

Postby Blaundee » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:34 am

You can also make washable fabric pads that are contoured and have snaps to stay in place. Never tried them, but they look very easy to make and practically free. Over on sufficientself.com there are women who use only those. You drop them into a little trashcan with a lid on it, then throw them all in the washer. eta- you can add a plastic layer inside too.

I myself just buy big boxes of both tampons and pads, and store them in the closet :) Tampons are very useful for other things, too, so it never hurts to have a stock of them- they would even be useful for men to add to their medic supplies.
Blaundee

Postby arkieready » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:25 pm

I tried the instead & softcup. Like the diaphragm they hurt my bladder. But diva & Luna aren't that diameter. Dd uses one of those & loves it. I wish I learned about it earlier in my hormonal life. Pads & tampons are so bulky to carry. (i had to use both, my flow was awful). Lots of trash & lots of $$!
The fabric pads would be good for incontinence, too. Go from menstruation to incontinence, sheesh! Pads can be homemade, so quite frugal too.
I do keep a couple boxes of tampons, several packages of maxipads, and a bunch of the panty liners. For dd, or others in a pinch. If nothing else, I can trade or give away. That is besides whati keep with first aid.
P!

Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.

--Robert Frost--
arkieready
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby catfeet » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:31 pm

I've used "Instead" for several (like 6) years. This last year I decided to see if they were re-useable. They are. You just need to wash them out like you would the Diva or other similar cup. I used one instead cup for the last 6 mo - simply washed it out with antibacterial soap & dried it.

HTH!
catfeet
Vermont Preppers Network
Vermont Preppers Network

Postby arkieready » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:33 pm

Catfeet, I rinsed and reused them also. You do what is necessary, eh? They hold better /more than a tampon (it was just uncomfortable for me, pressure on my bladder).
P!

Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.

--Robert Frost--
arkieready

Next

Return to Ladies Section