• Advertisement

Tampon/Pad Self-Sufficiency

For all the lady preppers out there

Moderators: mmpaints, medic94

Re: Tampon/Pad Self-Sufficiency

Postby Mitch000 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:32 am

i think you can get diva cups at whole foods and other natural food stores in the health and beauty section. I ordered my Keeper online years ago. They work great.
Mitch000

Postby Dagnyy » Sat May 11, 2013 8:19 am

Gallimaufry wrote:
PrepsterGirl wrote:This is great info, thank you so much! I'm going to try it.

I already have 2 storage bins of tampons and liners that I hope will take me to menopause, but love the idea of this permanent solution. :thumbsup:

And if you don't need them, they'd probably be good for bartering. Also, I read somewhere that tampons could be used to plug up a deep puncture wound as a temporary way to control the bleeding. Not sure if that's true, but I do know that maternity pads can be used for gut wounds.

M.

You can also use tampons as survival gear... take a look at '10 Survival Uses For A Tampon' @ http://www.artofmanliness.com/2012/06/0 ... al-tampon/.

I spent the better part of seven years w/ just two menstrual sponges and think they are the best of the best for feminine protection... well, other than a Beretta. LOL! Cheap, easy to use, never once leaked even though I had the periods from hell most of m'life, and they didn't have to be replaced.

-Dagny
Dagnyy

Postby 2721turnerhill » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:33 pm

I think the best site for reusable and washable pads and liners is www.naturallycozy.com
the products are AMAZINGGGGG and they love doing custom orders for you! They are the nicest company that i have met, with wonderful workers that love what they do. It is a family owned company. Their motto is practical, prudent, prepared and pretty. I could not more highly recommend them!!! :)
2721turnerhill

Postby RightWingMom » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:45 pm

I bought my Diva Cups off Amazon. I currently have 2... The first I use and the 2nd is in my toiletry bag for bugging out.

They come in 2 designs:
Pre-child birth
http://www.amazon.com/Diva-Cup-Model-1-Pre-Childbirth/dp/B000FAG6X0/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1384026138&sr=1-1&keywords=diva+cup

Post-child birth
http://www.amazon.com/Diva-International-Inc-DivaCup-Post-Childbirth/dp/B000FAG6XA/ref=sr_1_2?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1384026138&sr=1-2&keywords=diva+cup

Agree that these will be worth their weight in gold when OTC tampons run out!
"I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it!" - Cap't. Woodrow Call, Lonesome Dove
http://texasprepper.bunderground.com
RightWingMom
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby 2721turnerhill » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:40 pm

I found Diva Cups to be kind of gross.. at least for me.
2721turnerhill

Postby RightWingMom » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:51 pm

2721turnerhill wrote:I found Diva Cups to be kind of gross.. at least for me.

Welcome to the forum. :D

The Diva Cup and Moon Cup are basically the same. Disposing of the menstrual discharge is as simple as wiping out the cup with some toilet paper. I find that no more gross than removing a tampon, wrapping it in toilet paper, and throwing it in the trash. When you're finished with your period, a quick wash with a gentle soap like Castile or Dove is all you need. Let it dry and store it in the cloth baggie provided by the company.

I guess if the cup design is bothers you, you'd prefer a DIY pad.
Here's a place with great patterns, all you need is basic sewing supplies.
(Don't forget, you'll need to be set up to wash them, especially if you're off the grid! Also, make sure you have several on hand.)

http://tipnut.com/free-pattern-for-washable-feminine-menstrual-pads/
"I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it!" - Cap't. Woodrow Call, Lonesome Dove
http://texasprepper.bunderground.com
RightWingMom
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby mrsb » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:43 pm

Ok girls. I am telling you my story in hopes you will not pay the price that I did.Please listen.I beg you...
I was a tampon girl from age 16-35. By age 35 I had had 2 tubel pregnancies and 6 miscariages .One of which ruptured and almost killed me.Honestly the Dr. told my hubby if he had waited for the ambulance I would have never made it. The last time I got pregnant was a tubel too. My hubby insisted we go to Munson Medical center as soon as we found out we were having a baby.Thank GOD I did.Dr. Novak insisted on my filling out this questioner. He did all kinds of test as soon as he heard my story. Dr. Novak put his arm around me and said honey this is another tubel.All I can do is explain why I had you fill out this questioner.And he did.He said since toxic shock sydrom happened he and his colleges have been asking many questions.You see I had severe andrometriosis. So extreme that I could not have a baby all because of tampon use.The uteris shads it's lining every month.When we use tampons the tampon does not allow our bodies to do it's job. That the lining actually backs up into the tubes and elsewhere causing andrometriosis.That andrometriosis is so common now days.Not only did I lose my baby but I had to have a complete hysterectomy.He said he was only telling me about the tampon because he hoped I would share this with my family and friends in hopes of stoping young women from going thru what I did.When I came out of the O.R. and woke up Dr. Novaks wife and my husband were there holding my hands.Now this was the first time I had ever met him.And yet he was so full of compassion for what I was going thru that he asked his wife to be with me in case I needed to talk to another woman. Throw those dam things away. I know the pads are not comfortable.But please save yourself from harm.Your families need you.
mrsb

Postby jswwrites » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:43 pm

The reusable one here is called the Diva Cup. I use one, although one caveat - I have a tipped uterus, and it can leak on heavy days, esp if needing to go to the bathroom. And if you have heavy periods, you'll have to empty is more than the every 12 hours they say. However, that said, it's a great contraption and works a lot better than Instead, esp if you have a tipped uterus. It's about $25 but then you're basically done with feminine hygiene products. They have 2 sizes - one for younger women who haven't had kids, and one for older women. My 21 year old daughter uses it and loves it, too. Saves a ton of money now, but would be ideal in a shtf situation.
jswwrites

Postby hildar » Mon May 12, 2014 8:31 pm

The cloth pads make me think of in the old days when my mom use to cut us strips of old clothes to use folded up they were far better then what we use now for store bought ones. However if you want to buy pads try Roses stores they have a pack of 30 maxi pads for $2.50 I buy 10 packs every month or 2 so that I have extras put away for the girls. I only have a period now about once every 6 months because I am starting the change. So I normally don't need them, but my girls do.
hildar

Postby rj5156 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:20 pm

I pick up packages of sea sponges when I find them cheap. Sanitize with Grapefruit Seed Extract. Dampen the sponge before use, wring very dry and insert like a tampon. Guess you could tie a string around it if you like. Remove, rinse/sanitize, reuse as needed.

Works great. Lasts a long time. Egg-size works for me.

Edit to add.

We buy cheap washcloths on sale. Have lots of them. Fold in half. Then fold in thirds. Instant pad. Soak and wash after use. Not my first choice but it's beat nothing more than once. Very good used with the sea sponge.
rj5156

Postby Senah » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:52 pm

My cousins and I got Mirena IUSs and they are awesome. Good for 7 years and no periods. Both my hubby and I love it!
Senah

Learn everything you can, anytime you can, from anyone you can - there will always come a time when you will be grateful you did. ~ Sarah Caldwell
Senah
Montana Preppers Network
Montana Preppers Network

Postby catfeet » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:02 pm

Mirena really screwed me up. A decade later and I still have a lessened sex drive than before I got it. It has a considerable number of side effects that they just don't tell you about, including uterine perforation. .02, catfeet
catfeet
Vermont Preppers Network
Vermont Preppers Network

Postby Senah » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:15 pm

Uterine perforation is possible, to be sure. But the chance of that happening is 0.1% (not even a percent). When you look at the risks of pregnancy or blood clots with the majority of birth control methods, I think there is considerable support for Mirena, Paragard, and Implanon (assuming you may want a return to fertility).

I think you have to look at the widest spectrum. For example, acetaminophen (good old Tylenol) accounted for 51% of total liver failure cases in 2003. Most people take Tylenol or a product containing Tylenol. So, I think if that is the level we are talking about for an over the counter medication heavily used and without the serious benefits and risk reductions that something like Mirena has, the options seem more sound.
Senah

Learn everything you can, anytime you can, from anyone you can - there will always come a time when you will be grateful you did. ~ Sarah Caldwell
Senah
Montana Preppers Network
Montana Preppers Network

Previous

Return to Ladies Section