• Advertisement

Post-SHTF Gender Roles?

For all the lady preppers out there

Moderators: mmpaints, medic94

Re: Post-SHTF Gender Roles?

Postby Photon Guy » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:26 am

Lynda wrote:
Photon Guy wrote:
Lynda wrote:A woman's role is whatever she defines and determines it to be.


I guess you could say the same thing for a man's role.



And why wouldn't I? :D


Im just pointing it out. Im not saying you wouldn't say that.
Photon Guy
 
Posts: 1679
Joined: Wed May 07, 2014 1:53 am
Karma: 6

Re: Post-SHTF Gender Roles?

Postby Lynda » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:43 am

"Im just pointing it out. Im not saying you wouldn't say that."

People of each gender are free to determine what "role" they choose to live in terms of lifestyle, employment and everything else, provided they're capable. Honestly, I've never seen such concern from both women and men(including the silly war on women) as I've seen lately, regarding women and what they should do.
THINK......It's not illegal yet.

I Am Responsible For What I Say. I Am Not Responsible For What You Understand.
User avatar
Lynda
Massachusetts Preppers Network
Massachusetts Preppers Network
 
Posts: 7451
Images: 6
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:30 pm

Re: Post-SHTF Gender Roles?

Postby Photon Guy » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:22 pm

Lynda wrote:"Im just pointing it out. Im not saying you wouldn't say that."

People of each gender are free to determine what "role" they choose to live in terms of lifestyle, employment and everything else, provided they're capable. Honestly, I've never seen such concern from both women and men(including the silly war on women) as I've seen lately, regarding women and what they should do.


True. But when you talk about employment if you're talking about jobs sometimes they will hire certain people based on gender and depending on the job. For instance, some if not most places are much more likely to hire women as secretaries since according to them women are better at that kind of work. Also, if you notice, most school teachers at least for elementary and middle school are women. You don't really see men working as teachers until you get to jr high and high school. Also, there are some jobs that involve directly working with other people including customers. As it is, there are some customers that would prefer working with men for certain jobs and there are some customers that would prefer working with women for certain jobs.
Photon Guy
 
Posts: 1679
Joined: Wed May 07, 2014 1:53 am
Karma: 6

Re: Post-SHTF Gender Roles?

Postby Lynda » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:05 pm

Photon Guy wrote:
Lynda wrote:"Im just pointing it out. Im not saying you wouldn't say that."

People of each gender are free to determine what "role" they choose to live in terms of lifestyle, employment and everything else, provided they're capable. Honestly, I've never seen such concern from both women and men(including the silly war on women) as I've seen lately, regarding women and what they should do.


True. But when you talk about employment if you're talking about jobs sometimes they will hire certain people based on gender and depending on the job. For instance, some if not most places are much more likely to hire women as secretaries since according to them women are better at that kind of work. Also, if you notice, most school teachers at least for elementary and middle school are women. You don't really see men working as teachers until you get to jr high and high school. Also, there are some jobs that involve directly working with other people including customers. As it is, there are some customers that would prefer working with men for certain jobs and there are some customers that would prefer working with women for certain jobs.



I'm sure that's correct but your point? If a man chooses to be an elementary school teacher then I'm sure he'd be hired based on his quals. I had male teachers before junior and senior high. I've also seen men work as clerks and admin. assistants.

Just do what you want. Who really cares? Not quite sure what your point is.
THINK......It's not illegal yet.

I Am Responsible For What I Say. I Am Not Responsible For What You Understand.
User avatar
Lynda
Massachusetts Preppers Network
Massachusetts Preppers Network
 
Posts: 7451
Images: 6
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:30 pm

Re: Post-SHTF Gender Roles?

Postby Suncat » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:50 pm

"most school teachers at least for elementary and middle school are women"

Could it be because more women choose that career path? It's the effect of more women applying that there's more women in the job. There's more men who are hired as firefighters. That's the effect of having very few women apply. It's not the employer showing a preference like in your first example of a company that prefers to hire women as secretaries.

In the whole anyone can be anything discussions.. what's often missed is personal preference. And that there can be a decided gender leaning for or against something. But if it's a traditional leaning everyone gets all het up about it, because you know, women can't actually LIKE some of the things that they were "forced" to do in the past. Some jobs are considered to keep women downtrodden so even if a women wants to do that job she's treated poorly because of her choice. It's not really "you can do anything you want".

I imagine that if something big enough to destroy society happens that there will be lots of jobs that will lack a skilled workforce. And there were actual reasons why men and women had separate rolls historically, not just because "men were in charge and kept the women downtrodden". I'm not interested in high society or politics.. when you look at the working class.. those who came out west during the westward expansion.. things were a lot more egalitarian. So someone is gonna have to do those poor demeaned (not demeaning) jobs that no one wants to do now. And groups will be thankful if anyone has enough skill to do those jobs well.
Suncat

"Real feminine nature isn't weak or fawning. It isn't about wearing frilly dresses or reading romance novels.
Real femininity is strong, confident, vibrant. But it is strong, confident and vibrant in a uniquely feminine way.
~Mary Beth Bonacci
User avatar
Suncat
 
Posts: 242
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:28 pm
Location: Oregon
Karma: 10

Re: Post-SHTF Gender Roles?

Postby Lynda » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:24 am

"In the whole anyone can be anything discussions.. what's often missed is personal preference. And that there can be a decided gender leaning for or against something. But if it's a traditional leaning everyone gets all het up about it, because you know, women can't actually LIKE some of the things that they were "forced" to do in the past. Some jobs are considered to keep women downtrodden so even if a women wants to do that job she's treated poorly because of her choice. It's not really "you can do anything you want"."

Suncat, isn't that personal preference? I'm sure that most women really don't care if others choose to either work or choose traditional work or stay at home roles, although I understand there's a dedicated "camp" for both and it can get quite volatile. I'm not in either because I really don't care and have had to(and by choice) assume both roles.

I would view an after a worst case scenario event much like during WWII when a lack of men to do those traditional male jobs went to women, at least until the men returned from war. You know, like Rosie the Riveter? A bit before my time.


It would be interesting to ask the ages and employment status of posters who have opined here though, and whether this influences opinions.
THINK......It's not illegal yet.

I Am Responsible For What I Say. I Am Not Responsible For What You Understand.
User avatar
Lynda
Massachusetts Preppers Network
Massachusetts Preppers Network
 
Posts: 7451
Images: 6
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:30 pm

Re: Post-SHTF Gender Roles?

Postby Suncat » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:47 am

Rosie was before my time too. It's just that there is still an undercurrent in society that some jobs are less than others. Not as bad as it was 25-30 yrs ago though, I think. I'm a college educated stay at home, homeschooling mom, in my 40's. My grandmother lived with us at times throughout my childhood (and she was my babysitter when I was real little) so I learned a lot of "homemaking" skills that aren't typical for someone my age. More people my age learned the skills that they wanted as an adult, but to grow up learning those was a bit unusual. My grandmother would have been an older child but not a teen during the Great Depression.
Suncat

"Real feminine nature isn't weak or fawning. It isn't about wearing frilly dresses or reading romance novels.
Real femininity is strong, confident, vibrant. But it is strong, confident and vibrant in a uniquely feminine way.
~Mary Beth Bonacci
User avatar
Suncat
 
Posts: 242
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:28 pm
Location: Oregon
Karma: 10

Re: Post-SHTF Gender Roles?

Postby Lynda » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:56 am

Suncat, generational differences are interesting. I probably have 20 years on you(61 in May) and those homemaking skills were just par for the course. But, my mother saw the value of a good education and she went back to school in her late forties and picked up a nursing license. I don't remember her ever not working a full time job. It was necessary. Interesting discussion!
THINK......It's not illegal yet.

I Am Responsible For What I Say. I Am Not Responsible For What You Understand.
User avatar
Lynda
Massachusetts Preppers Network
Massachusetts Preppers Network
 
Posts: 7451
Images: 6
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:30 pm

Re: Post-SHTF Gender Roles?

Postby Suncat » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:27 am

My grandmother was a nurse. She was also the snare drummer in her high school (drummers were traditionally the boys). My mother worked. I've worked before children. We do have 10 kids so the most frequent comment around here about me staying home is "I don't see how you could get things done otherwise" :rofl: I have one daughter who's planning on culinary school and another who's counting the days until she can join the cadet programs for search and rescue and the fire department. My boys and girls (who are old enough) can all cook and clean and do basic sewing and split wood and mow lawns etc. But I've also seen that there's a point where giving boys especially traditional "man jobs" improves their attitude greatly. I don't think that's just the perception of the jobs as it's generally harder physical work which is just good for the boys starting to deal with the testosterone of adolescence.

I do think that anyone who can do the job will probably need to do the job. I also see the benefit of protecting the women who, in a lawless situation, will be treated like spoils of war. Sure women can learn to protect themselves (my girls shoot and are learning martial arts) but why send a women into a situation where she's more likely to need to if sending a man would mean there's no incident.

But I do think there may be jobs without skilled workers because they are a "lost art". And some or even a lot of those types of skills are the ones women used to do. And I do blame some of that on the idea that the traditional woman's role is somehow "less" than other roles.
Suncat

"Real feminine nature isn't weak or fawning. It isn't about wearing frilly dresses or reading romance novels.
Real femininity is strong, confident, vibrant. But it is strong, confident and vibrant in a uniquely feminine way.
~Mary Beth Bonacci
User avatar
Suncat
 
Posts: 242
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:28 pm
Location: Oregon
Karma: 10

Re: Post-SHTF Gender Roles?

Postby Photon Guy » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:15 pm

Lynda wrote:
Photon Guy wrote:
Lynda wrote:"Im just pointing it out. Im not saying you wouldn't say that."

People of each gender are free to determine what "role" they choose to live in terms of lifestyle, employment and everything else, provided they're capable. Honestly, I've never seen such concern from both women and men(including the silly war on women) as I've seen lately, regarding women and what they should do.


True. But when you talk about employment if you're talking about jobs sometimes they will hire certain people based on gender and depending on the job. For instance, some if not most places are much more likely to hire women as secretaries since according to them women are better at that kind of work. Also, if you notice, most school teachers at least for elementary and middle school are women. You don't really see men working as teachers until you get to jr high and high school. Also, there are some jobs that involve directly working with other people including customers. As it is, there are some customers that would prefer working with men for certain jobs and there are some customers that would prefer working with women for certain jobs.


I'm sure that's correct but your point? If a man chooses to be an elementary school teacher then I'm sure he'd be hired based on his quals. I had male teachers before junior and senior high. I've also seen men work as clerks and admin. assistants.

Just do what you want. Who really cares? Not quite sure what your point is.


Well, some customers prefer to see certain people for certain reasons. For instance, with me I prefer women doctors over men doctors so if I have to see a doctor for whatever reason I will see a woman doctor if I can. For some people it might be the other way around. So for that reason I think its important for jobs that involve directly working with other people, that both men and women take on such jobs for that very reason that some people might rather work with a man or might rather work with a woman depending on what they're getting done.
Photon Guy
 
Posts: 1679
Joined: Wed May 07, 2014 1:53 am
Karma: 6

Re: Post-SHTF Gender Roles?

Postby Lynda » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:05 pm

Photon Guy, in a post SHTF scenario I doubt we'll have gender preferences in terms of medical care. Frankly, anyone who knows what they're doing would be preferable.
THINK......It's not illegal yet.

I Am Responsible For What I Say. I Am Not Responsible For What You Understand.
User avatar
Lynda
Massachusetts Preppers Network
Massachusetts Preppers Network
 
Posts: 7451
Images: 6
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:30 pm

Re: Post-SHTF Gender Roles?

Postby daaswampman » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:32 pm

Post-SHTF Gender Roles? Look at any war torn country for the answer. Strip our politically correctness away and the truth is ugly. Swamp
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network
 
Posts: 8209
Images: 0
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:49 am

Re: Post-SHTF Gender Roles?

Postby sageprice » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:45 pm

strange I've met female welders but no cement masons. Never met a female long shoreman either. Maybe they have more brains than brawn
User avatar
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network
 
Posts: 1334
Images: 0
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 7:22 pm
Location: Northern AA county Maryland
Karma: 63

Previous

Return to Ladies Section

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


Email Newsletter icon, E-mail Newsletter icon, Email List icon, E-mail List icon Sign up for the APN Email Newsletter - Enter your e-mail address below


  Links and Resources
  -Links
  -Podcasts
  -Free Ebooks



Trusted Sponsors











Copyright
For Notices of Copyright infringement and to contact our DMCA Agent please follow the link below:
Copyright Policy

For terms of use, rules, and policies please read our Disclaimer