• Advertisement

Will you have a UTI when SHTF? (I will!)

For all the lady preppers out there

Moderators: mmpaints, medic94

Re: Will you have a UTI when SHTF? (I will!)

Postby Mollypup » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:30 pm

RayMac1963 wrote:Why am I the only man in this thread... :huh:

:rofl: :rofl:

Don't worry, other guys have posted in the Ladies Section too. Actually it is a good idea if you're prepping for women yet you have no spouse or significant other interested in prepping.

And guys have issues with UTIs as well. :shakeyes:
Mollypup
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Postby sandlapper3 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:38 pm

tamtbell--sorry,I had it backwards. :blush: It's D-Mannose with CranActin.

I tried it all,but had to do sulfa and now latest bout, Cipro. Still take above mentioned pills and raw vinegar.
Good luck!!
sandlapper3
South Carolina Preppers Network

Postby peekachoo » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:44 pm

I have been self cathing for over 5 yrs so am very vulnerable To UTIs. You can get test kits by searching for diascreen 4nl. They are very cheap. Only $20 for 100 tests. You can get all the antibiotics you need from medexpressrx.com .

Its not only a ladies problem! Everyone needs to learn to use a catheter! It could save your life! It has mine and my brother in laws!
peekachoo
Colorado Preppers Network
Colorado Preppers Network

Postby tamtbell » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:08 am

I agree arkie. I don't like buttermilk much (except to make creme fraiche) but I love kefir. We make pina coladas (healthy ones, no alcohol) with kefir, a bit of flaked coconut, canned pineapple and ice. Hot summer day & kefir pina colada = yum!
For the moment we live in a day of peace, but it shall not ever be thus. Great trials lie ahead... and we must prepare ourselves temporally and spiritually.
~Bruce R. McConkie~
tamtbell
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby ForwardPreppers » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:11 pm

I think this is a great thread since so many of us have experienced this issue. DH and DD have had them in our household. I have kept the Rx form of AZO in my stockpile that I had leftover from my last two.

One thing I read online that I didn't see here is take a 500 mg swallow (not chewable) vitamin C with dinner. Supposedly it takes a while to metabolize in the your system over night - leaving it to sit in your bladder, killing off the bad stuff.

I keep cranberry supplements in my stockpile. I found one at CVS that I really like - Super cranberry. It has vitamin C and E in it. My DD and I take cranberry supplements pretty often.

I am very particular about hygiene more than ever - yes to cleansing often and especially after hanky panky of any kind. And this may be a little graphic but clean hands all the time by you and your partner - cannot stress this enough.

As others stated - drink water like crazy. Alcohol does cause problems for many women - if you are sensitive then it's probably best to skip it, I usually do.

Mrs. FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator
South Carolina State Moderator

Postby Bubba J » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:55 pm

Not female, but it might be a good idea to either store cranberry juice or grow some that way you can make your own.
“Men go to far greater lengths to avoid what they fear than to obtain what they desire.”
Bubba J
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby FussyOldHen » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:26 pm

Three pages of good tips here, and one crucially important thing that no one has mentioned: Just say NO to sex until after your partner washes. Where do you think you GET most of these infections??? They're not coming out of the air, you know.

Even a cheap hooker knows to have the guy wash before anything happens.

If you have to keep taking an antibiotic, the bacteria will become immune to it and cease to work. Then what?
FussyOldHen

Postby tamtbell » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:29 pm

Plus antibiotics really mess with the natural flora and fauna of your body anyways. Don't want to be on that stuff.
For the moment we live in a day of peace, but it shall not ever be thus. Great trials lie ahead... and we must prepare ourselves temporally and spiritually.
~Bruce R. McConkie~
tamtbell
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby whitebear54 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:50 am

Not a woman, but like Gunns, I look after my wife. She doesn't get UTI's very often (only two in 30 years) but without this thread neither of us would have had any idea what to stock up on. Excellent information.

NOTE: Be careful taking buttermilk with any "cycline" type antibiotic or fish med. Doctor once told me tetracycline is deactivated by milk.
Visit my author website at www.RaymondDeanWhite.com
"Distrust of government is at the very core of what it means to be an American."
"Growing your own food is like printing your own money."
"If you aren't preparing to live you're preparing to die."
"While doubt is uncomfortable, certainty is only for fools and zealots."
whitebear54
Arizona Preppers Network
Arizona Preppers Network

Postby Disa » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:23 am

I want to second the comment by tamtbell about messing with the natural flora and fauna of our intestines. C-Diff is rampant these days and it is a killer! I encourage everyone to read up on it and be very cautious about self medicating with antibiotics!
Disa

Postby tamtbell » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:07 am

Yup yup. I know for myself, I go on dr prescribed antibiotics and for the next month or two I'm all messed up.
Kefir, Kombucha, old fashioned fermented veggies, yogurt, buttermilk. They all are very easy to do at home and once you have the culture there isn't much investment. (veggies you don't have to worry about a culture) Its a good idea to have some of that on hand just in case you do need to go on antibiotics.
We keep freeze dried yogurt cultures to be used to make homemade yogurt. Super duper easy. Google homemade crockpot yogurt.
~Bruce R. McConkie~
tamtbell
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby sandlapper3 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:29 pm

Accuflora,an OTC probiotic,has worked really fast for yeast infection (after taking Cipro for 10 days). After 2 pills yeast infection was nearly gone.
sandlapper3

Postby tamtbell » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:11 am

Hhhmm, never tried that sandlapper. Next time it becomes an issue I might have to give it a go.
~Bruce R. McConkie~
tamtbell
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby oldnnrbroke » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:28 pm

Don't know if it applies to anyone else. My frequent UTI's cleared up when I went gluten free. I do NOT have the classic "celiac". My pulmonologist/allergist had me stop eating gluten (grains) to "reduce the inflammation" in my asthmatic lungs. It worked for both the asthma and (happy surprise) the UTIs
oldnnrbroke

Postby Murphy7604 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:57 am

In my (almost) 56 years, I've only been "blessed" with a UTI 2 times and I have the utmost of sympathy for those that deal with these on a more frequent basis. I had not even thought about preparing for a UTI in my general preps! Thank you all so much for bringing this up and thanks to the poster for bumping it up yesterday! I have ordered some fish mox. Can't take cipro or sulfa. I'll be looking for some of the cranberry extra too.
Murphy7604

PreviousNext

Return to Ladies Section