• Advertisement

Does Anyone Still Sew?

For all the lady preppers out there

Moderators: mmpaints, medic94

Re: Does Anyone Still Sew?

Postby independentlurker » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:19 pm

PS… This is from pinterest on how to turn an electric sewing machine into a treadle. I have not tried it though. http://mushycat.com/wiki/index.php?n=Tr ... Conversion

I think my husband hates pinterest. I am always showing him ideas and stuff I would like him to do or help me with.

IL
independentlurker

Postby Cin » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:54 pm

This website has the book, Make And Mend For Victory available for a free download.

It was written in the 1940s for women who sewed. It has instructions showing how to make patterns and how to make new clothes from old clothes. There are no patterns, just instructions on how to make patterns. However, there is a pattern layout on a grid, and decent pictures of how to place the patterns you make onto old shirts, pants and dresses, to cut down and make other clothes with it.

http://cargocultcraft.com/2010/03/18/download-make-mend-for-victory-both-parts/
Cin

Postby catfeet » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:36 am

Converting to treadle or hand crank is actually very easy if you can source the parts. I did it as part of our business 15ish years ago. The parts come in a wheel/crank package and you simply pull off the current wheel (screws not withstanding) and replace it with the new balanced flywheel. If you've got a treadle, insert, get your belt on, and go. If not, there are a few more steps for the hand crank, but not many. I recently found high strength rubber treadle belts for sale! They're fantastic!!! No more dried out leather that the staple rips thru! I'm all a-squee over these new belts! I sew with my treadles as primary machines, so having belts that don't fail is important. Oh...if you don't know about treadle on.net, you should go check them out...great group of folks over there!

https://www.lehmans.com/p-1551-sewing-m ... x?show=all
catfeet
Vermont Preppers Network
Vermont Preppers Network

Postby Cin » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:41 pm

Anyone sewing for the holidays or any other special occasion?

I've been making baby things for a niece who is due in a few weeks. I will also be sewing stuff for Christmas.

So far I've made a crib skirt, burp cloths, breast pads, baby wipes, changing pad covers, and diaper liners. I still have to make diaper inserts and the niece's hospital gown. I may even squeeze a small, simple quilt in, too.

I suppose it's not really prep, but I consider it so because I'm not only making homemade gifts for all the occasions, but preparing for life without a grocery/goods store nearby. I make family cloth wipes for several family members, and have made table napkins out of flour sack towels (cut in 4ths, hem, and you're done!). I also use the flour sack "napkins" as clean up towels in place of paper towels.

Pinterest has been a real inspiration in providing money saving prep ideas that can be sewn. Several sites also have ways to recycle clothing for other needs.

Anyway, just wondered if y'all are working on anything.
Cin

Postby arkieready » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:25 pm

I can sew, but haven't in a while. Been knitting. On my 3rd pair of socks this fall. Merino wool makes lovely warm socks. Made dd a mohair blend scarf--very soft and fluffy. And an enormous blankie for DH. It will get a polar fleece lining sewn on it after I sew on the last piece.
My dd, who never sewed before, made her own Halloween costume last year, part of which was a lined, fitted jacket with a hood. Very impressive.
P!

Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.

--Robert Frost--
arkieready
Arkansas Preppers Network
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby Cin » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:47 pm

I'm sewing/quilting again. Trying to clear out this stash so I can use the space more efficiently for other preps. I plan to keep some fabric stash, but it will change from frivolous to more usable stuff.

Anyway, I mentioned on other boards that I've been sewing. Made a kitchen set for one kid (2 embellished towels, 2 potholders and 2 microwave bowl cozies). I also finished a 46 X 46 quilt top today with a fat quarter bundle I'd bought on a whim. I will work on finishing it tomorrow.
Cin

Postby IceFire » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:14 am

Took a plain and calico fabric from my "stash", and made a walker caddy with them, so that I can carry around the stuff I need (meds, water bottle, "grabby tool", tissues, etc.) WITHOUT having to try to tote my purse. Got the bigger, front one finished last week, and will finish the side pieces this week. The one on my dominant side will include a holster for my 9mm.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Cin » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:19 am

IceFire,

I'd love to see your walker caddy! I am downsizing my stash and thinking about making some quilts to donate to Quilts of Honor and some quilts to the local nursing home - I was think some lap robes, but a walker caddy might be a decent idea, too.
Cin

Postby IceFire » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:12 am

Cin,

I made mine with different sized pockets on both sides--helps to organize things a bit, and grosgrain ribbon ties. The fabrics are all doubled over, and heavy-duty iron-on interfacing between the layers of the "base" piece to give it some more stability. and of course, some lace to make it pretty. I'll try to get a picture of it later.

I used the solid color fabric as the base, with the calico for the pockets. I cut the calico wider than the width of the base, so that I could gather it at the bottom prior to stitching on, then elastic for at the top of the pockets. (That gives some "stretch" and room in the pockets to actually put things in.) I sewed the lace about 3/8 of an inch below the top of the pockets, to form the elastic casing. After stitching the pockets up the sides, I stitched up through the pocket at various widths to form smaller, organizer pockets. That way, I could put things like water bottle, meds, tissues, cell phone, book, etc. in the different pockets and not have to worry about everything being a jumbled mess.
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Senah » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:48 pm

I got my husband a Singer Heavy Duty for his birthday this year a few months ago, and he is absolutely loving it. Also got a pair of Gingher scissors like the ones our favorite Italian tailor in NY had and they are great too. He's making all sorts of cool things, and the machine is great. So far he's made stuff sacks for our sleeping bags and other camping gear, repaired jeans, and is now working on more heavy duty stuff for our working dogs which is hard/expensive to find online. The machine is nice because it has mostly metal parts inside vs. the plastic that can break a lot, and also is made to do workhorse type jobs.
Senah

Learn everything you can, anytime you can, from anyone you can - there will always come a time when you will be grateful you did. ~ Sarah Caldwell
Senah
Montana Preppers Network
Montana Preppers Network

Postby catfeet » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:03 pm

Nice! I love Gingher's too. They are my go-to sewing shears, and God help the kid who cuts something besides cloth with them!
catfeet
Vermont Preppers Network
Vermont Preppers Network

Postby IceFire » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:31 pm

catfeet wrote:They are my go-to sewing shears, and God help the kid who cuts something besides cloth with them!

God help ANYONE who cuts anything besides cloth with one's sewing shears! My husband is lucky to be alive after he once used my good sewing shears to cut....PAPER! :shock: :cursing:

After barely surviving the resultant furor, he has taken EXTREME care to NEVER AGAIN TOUCH my sewing shears. He now has his OWN pair of scissors that HE keeps track of for HIS projects.
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby sageprice » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:24 pm

Bought a heavy duty Singer last year for tarps, backpacks, Ponchos, upholstery and it even does a good job on curtains.
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network

Postby Cin » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:58 pm

I have 3 pairs of Ginghers - bought one and inherited the other two pairs from my MIL. No one...NO ONE is allowed to touch them. I periodically send two pairs back to the factory (leaving me one pair for emergency) to be sharpened.

I made one Quilt Of Honor top and passed it to the organization head. They have volunteers who long-arm quilt them, so I just had to do the patchwork. I have another one in the works. I had offered to make 2, and I have just enough in the stash to do so.

That is another thing I am doing...as I go through the stash, I'm finding stuff I'd started making, or stuff I bought to make specific people things. Most of the non-making was because of moves, and packing stuff away, sometimes upwards to two or three years. My goal is to finish all these projects and pass them on.

My neighbor and I are also considering a summer craft fair to sell some of our stuff, so I will begin making stuff for that. Whatever doesn't sell will be Christmas gifts for various people who appreciate the homemade crafts - win-win!
Cin

Postby Cin » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:56 pm

I made another Quilt Of Honor top. Sent a note to the chairperson she'll be picking it up. My stash is slowly going down...so slow that it feels as if I'm doing nothing. But I will get rid of these obligations...:)
Cin

PreviousNext

Return to Ladies Section