• Advertisement

Does Anyone Still Sew?

For all the lady preppers out there

Moderators: mmpaints, medic94

Re: Does Anyone Still Sew?

Postby catfeet » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:08 pm

Cin, that's great! Both to eliminate existing projects, and to whittle your stash down enough to where you can start buying again, lol!

And boy, they _do_ need regular sharpening, don't they? Where do you send yours to be sharpened? I've not had luck with sharpening places in the past, and now only sharpen things myself. (I adore, adore, adore my buttonhole scissors from Gingher's, they, my straight shears, and my not-Gingher rotary cutter are my 3 go-to cutting devices.)

I mostly do costuming, and while I thought I was done for a while, I have a teen boy to clothe. He told me this weekend, after attending an event, that he would like a fancy Viking tunic (which also means he needs the corresponding under tunic) and needs 3 pairs of new pants, the ones that I made for him for last summer just barely fitting. Luckily, I just *knew* last summer, that this would happen and purchased an exhorbinate amount of linen. So, after I'm done with making the two omg, darling, cutest little jackets I've ever seen for my nieces, and finish setting up the new to me all mechanical knitting machine I bought in November, I'll get right on that!
catfeet
Vermont Preppers Network
Vermont Preppers Network

Postby Cin » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:23 pm

CatFeet - I send my Ginghers straight back to the factory to be sharpened. I think it's $9 plus postage. They sharpen them and send 'em back. They are warrantied and if you have someone else sharpen them, supposedly it voids the warranty. Website is probably http://www.ginghers.com and will most likely have the address.

I made 3 quilt tops in the last few days. I'm thinking of selling at a little craft fair my neighbor and I are thinking of having. The tops are very simple, straight lines, and not a lot of fancy stuff. Still pretty, though. I plan to make a bunch of different sized tops, mostly baby and lap size, and then I'll quilt them all later.
Cin

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:21 pm

That's what I was going to ask where can I get scissors sharpened. In Texas the fabric stores would have guys come in periodically and you could get them done. Last time I asked they wanted to mail them.

I have a lot of shears and my wonderful family are always using them for their projects. I tried hiding them and everything. Now
DD is gone and I have cooking shears it kind of keeps hubby out. But I really do need to get them sharpened.

I need to try that website.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:23 pm

That website didn't get me to anything about sharpening, I will look further.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:27 pm

PatrioticStabilist

Postby Senah » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:09 am

PatrioticStabilist wrote:http://www.gingher.com/pages/repair-and-maintenance/4/

That is the website

That's great - thanks!
Senah

Learn everything you can, anytime you can, from anyone you can - there will always come a time when you will be grateful you did. ~ Sarah Caldwell
Senah
Montana Preppers Network
Montana Preppers Network

Postby Dawntreader » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:35 am

I've tried to teach myself so many times. I have the desire, but not the patience or skills. I bought myself a sewing machine and ended up with tangled bobbins and broke the needle. I've tried to hand sew and I had a little more success with that, but I think I took on too complicated of a pattern and quickly got bored.
Dawntreader

Postby Senah » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:10 pm

Dawntreader wrote:I've tried to teach myself so many times. I have the desire, but not the patience or skills. I bought myself a sewing machine and ended up with tangled bobbins and broke the needle. I've tried to hand sew and I had a little more success with that, but I think I took on too complicated of a pattern and quickly got bored.

Now there are a lot of videos on the internet. Try some simple things and look on YouTube for instructions. It might help get you started. You can even look for videos done with your specific machine.
Senah

Learn everything you can, anytime you can, from anyone you can - there will always come a time when you will be grateful you did. ~ Sarah Caldwell
Senah
Montana Preppers Network
Montana Preppers Network

Postby Cin » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:38 pm

DawnTreader - the easiest and quickest thing to make is a pair of elastic waist shorts or a skirt. You can make it for yourself, or some kid.

Another thing you can do is buy thrift clothes, take them apart, and put them back together.

I taught myself to sew by sewing stuff for my kids - they didn't care that seams weren't straight or lines didn't match up. They were just thrilled to have stuff made by Mom, just for them. The clothes were unique, and it showed someone cared for them.

You could also start by making some simple sheet blankets. Take an old pretty sheet, cut it to lap size, hem all edges, and put a little lace or trim all the way around the edge and it's done. That's summer weight. If you want to make it a little more heavy, sew two sheets together and then put some trim on it.

If your bobbin tangles, you've probably got your top thread threaded wrong. Check your threading. If your needle broke, that usually also means it's threaded wrong. Check your threading.

Another idea is to work on a very simple machine, such as one intended for a child. The threading is usually very simplistic so kids don't get frustrated. If you go to yard sales, keep an eye out for one.
Cin

Postby CJay » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:42 am

I sew and found a small machine at hoby lobby a few years ago for like sixty bucks. It won't do anything heavy but works for the small projects. I'd suggest you pop by and see if your local store has one. There are also small handheld machines you can find at target.

Personally I really enjoy needlepoint and knit. But can hem and darn just fine. My parents started their family young but my grandparents started when they were older. Momma isn't into the older stuff so grandmother is going to leave me the old Singer 66 treadle she still uses. She told me when I was a little girl that I could have it after I got married and had a baby.
CJay

Postby Anna » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:17 pm

I don't do much clothing sewing because thrift shops provide everything I wear at a much lower cost. Fabric is ridiculously expensive.

I am teaching myself to quilt. Last Saturday I lucked onto an auction of fabric. I spent $150 and have 3 large totes of top quality quilting fabric. Plus I got 2 large boxes of curtains which I need, 5 new spools of thread, 10 needle papers with a needle treader in each, bias tape, tons of lace, 2 quarts of buttons and lots of other miscellaneous. I gave 1½ large boxes of excess to friends and donated another large box to the nursing home for crafts. Oh, I also got a box of 9 fleece throws for $3.

To prevent family from using my sewing shears, I put two pair of older shears on top of the good shears in the sewing machine drawer. Of course, threats of death might have helped too.

In my preps I have multi size patterns for basic clothing for both children and adults. I have a large stash of fabric to use for such clothing plus the buttons, zippers, thread, elastic etc. needed to complete projects. I store a large amount of cording to use in place of elastic (which does get old and lose its stretch) for waistbands.

The best way to learn to sew is by doing. A neighbor, family member or friend as a mentor would be extremely helpful.

I started sewing in 4-H and then home economics in high school I stopped sewing except for curtains and mending for several years, but picked it back up when my dd was born. I had a neighbor at the time that was an expert and she helped me learn tailoring and to perfect my sewing technique. Learning sewing terms would be a good place to start because its hard to understand pattern instructions unless you've done that. There is a Reader Digest Complete Guide to Sewing and a similar book by Singer either of which would be a good place to begin.
Anna

Postby kappydell » Sun May 01, 2016 12:36 am

Yes, cloth is ridiculously expensive. I often re-cut thrift shop items with ample cloth into new clothing or Any 100% wool blankets get snapped up automatically and good bed sheets as well. Gotta think outside the box nowadays to find thrifty sewing materials. I dug up old WW2 sewing manuals written when fabric was rationed for good ideas.
New laws are like new taxes....both evolve, but they never go away.
kappydell
Wisconsin Preppers Network
Wisconsin Preppers Network

Postby Anna » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:42 pm

The first of January I decided to sew clothing this year. I do not need clothing but, I decided I needed to refresh my sewing skills and learn new ways. I've been spending a lot of time watching u-tube sewing videos and enjoying it a lot. I've also bookmarked a couple of sites that have good how-to videos. For instance, I've never done a separating zipper and found a good video for that.

One of the new skills I need to learn is proper fitting. I have forward shoulders, forward neck and rounded upper back all of which require adjustments to get a good fit. April/May 2016 issue of Threads magazine had a good article on making these adjustments. The August/September and October/November issues of Sew News had a two part series entitled Fitting The Aging Figure. I get both magazines from the library so I made copies of the articles to refer to at home. I also have a Singer book The Perfect Fit. It would be helpful to have another person to help mark needed changes while I have the garment on so I'm going to beg my sister to come visit for a week. I believe once I work out the changes needed they will easily transfer to any top whether jacket, dress or blouse. Once I accomplish that my next skill I need to learn is fitting garments from the waist down.

Using thrifted garments as fabric to make new garments is a good idea.

I have an old government bulletin called Clothing Repairs published in 1965. I bought it for 25¢ in the early 1970's. It is very detailed on how to do all kinds of repairs and I've found it tremendously useful thru the years. In the 1980's the same information was issued in individual bulletins form by the Extension Service. Some of the titles are How to Replace Knit Collar and Cuffs on a Jacket, How to Replace A Jacket Zipper, How to Replace Elastic in Underpants, Half Slips and Pajama Bottoms, How to Replace a Broken Fly Front Zipper, How to Fix Torn Buttonholes, How to Patch Knees in Pants plus several others. In a SHTF situation knowing how to repair garments would likely be a very important skill to have. Like any other prep now is the time to collect good guides and to practice/learn new skills.

Since sewing and mending has fallen out popularity in recent years I don't know how much information is available from USDA/Extension Service, but it would be worth checking. Each state has its own Extension Service website so if you don't find what you're looking for on one, check another state's site. I suppose the USDA might have a site listing all their bulletins but I've never checked. I do know and use the site they have for canning, dehydrating, freezing and storing of food.
Anna

Postby Cin » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:59 pm

Anna, those are excellent ideas on how to get materials to show how to do repairs. I'm sure we have an extension service here somewhere.
Cin

Postby arkieready » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:21 pm

RE: reclaiming fabric from thrift store clothing. Check out refashionista.net, archives. She buys oddments and redoes them into some interesting outfits. Some are even no-sews.
maybe it will kickstart your ideas.
P!

Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.

--Robert Frost--
arkieready
Arkansas Preppers Network
Arkansas Preppers Network

PreviousNext

Return to Ladies Section