• Advertisement

Skills that make you "Important" in a collapsed society

For all the lady preppers out there

Moderators: mmpaints, medic94

Skills that make you "Important" in a collapsed society

Postby kela_ichosira » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:36 pm

As a younger female I don't really have any roots or places to go in case of a "shtf" scenario of any form. I think one of my biggest concerns of all is in a post apocalyptic scenario say when marauders, bandits, thieves, etc are present and plentiful; is how I will be treated as a woman. Obviously my biggest fear isn't dying but being held captive and... well yea... I don't trust men as it is and I'm sure they will be alot more aggressive in a scenario like that. So I have been trying to come up with a backup plan or some form of idea to help me not be viewed as an object but as an asset. So I have been studying alot of combat/emergency medicine skills, self defense, and hopefully soon foraging. All are very useful skills and hopefully so useful that my level of survival and emotional/mental intactness remains high.

I guess I was just wondering if anyone else has thought about this or planned for this? I'm very open to criticism or ideas =)

EDIT: This question and general topic is directed for women so ideally I am looking only for women to respond. I won't stop men from responding if they feel the urge and will still respond if I feel I need to.
User avatar
kela_ichosira
California Preppers Network
California Preppers Network
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:23 pm
Location: San Francisco, CA
Karma: 0

Re: Skills that make you "Important" in a collapsed society

Postby condomain » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:10 am

I think the ability to be a CAN DO person, who is SMART, and RESPECTED, and is ORGANIZED will be important.

This means that I think assh*les will not survive long in a SHTF scenario.

Now there is a difference between being an a-hole and letting people walk all over you and taking your preps and you for granted.

The key is having the skill to know where exactly that fine line is, and having the ability to make allies, not instant enemies.
condomain
 
Posts: 1568
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:23 pm
Karma: 43

Re: Skills that make you "Important" in a collapsed society

Postby deathlander » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:46 am

Hello,

Your thoughts are correct. there will be a lot of people that using other to get what they want. the fears of bandits and more is also correct. it is awesome you have been prepping but there is one thing I am not sure you are doing. what I talk about is having to be on the move to get to somewhere to survive or to get to resources that are not near by. I have seen people be in the best physical shape they can be in but there is things that they cant do. I have seen this in actual combat in both Iraq and Afghanistan. the ability that I am talking about is the ability carrier enough equipment for long distances. so I recommend to start back packing with light weights and move up to heavier weights. for some things will not be able to get vehicles to. you also wanna time yourself for time can be important at times. also for groups or understands with people in the same mind set to help you get out of bad areas when things go bad.
Chris
deathlander
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:29 am
Karma: 0

Re: Skills that make you "Important" in a collapsed society

Postby Pedro wyoming » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:53 am

I suggest getting to know your group very very well. If you are not already in a group, then that would be a good place to start.

I am assuming that your "self defense skills" includes a firearm and a LOT of practice. A single woman will not last very long on her own with nothing more than an MMA class at the local gym.

pW
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change that survives.” Charles Darwin
Iמנא ,מנא, תקל, ופרסי
אלוהים
User avatar
Pedro wyoming
Wyoming Preppers Network
Wyoming Preppers Network
 
Posts: 3847
Images: 0
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:27 pm
Location: central wyoming
Karma: 158

Re: Skills that make you "Important" in a collapsed society

Postby kela_ichosira » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:55 am

While it is not complete yet (money) I do have a functional bug out bag list set up on amazon.. that (including everything that I will be wearing and contents of the bag) weighs about 35 pounds
User avatar
kela_ichosira
California Preppers Network
California Preppers Network
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:23 pm
Location: San Francisco, CA
Karma: 0

Re: Skills that make you "Important" in a collapsed society

Postby Bubba J » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:25 am

kela_ichosira wrote:As a younger female I don't really have any roots or places to go in case of a "shtf" scenario of any form. I think one of my biggest concerns of all is in a post apocalyptic scenario say when marauders, bandits, thieves, etc are present and plentiful; is how I will be treated as a woman. Obviously my biggest fear isn't dying but being held captive and... well yea... I don't trust men as it is and I'm sure they will be alot more aggressive in a scenario like that. So I have been trying to come up with a backup plan or some form of idea to help me not be viewed as an object but as an asset. So I have been studying alot of combat/emergency medicine skills, self defense, and hopefully soon foraging. All are very useful skills and hopefully so useful that my level of survival and emotional/mental intactness remains high.

I guess I was just wondering if anyone else has thought about this or planned for this? I'm very open to criticism or ideas =)


Just about every skill can be useful to a group. If you're with a good group, I don't see them judging you for not having certain skill sets. If you don't already have a specific skill, you can always be taught one. As for marauders, everyone will be in danger, not just females. They're more likely to kill people for their food and supplies.
“Men go to far greater lengths to avoid what they fear than to obtain what they desire.”
User avatar
Bubba J
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network
 
Posts: 3261
Images: 1
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:22 am

Re: Skills that make you "Important" in a collapsed society

Postby kela_ichosira » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:33 am

Deleted.
User avatar
kela_ichosira
California Preppers Network
California Preppers Network
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:23 pm
Location: San Francisco, CA
Karma: 0

Re: Skills that make you "Important" in a collapsed society

Postby kela_ichosira » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:36 am

Pedro wyoming wrote:I suggest getting to know your group very very well. If you are not already in a group, then that would be a good place to start.

I am assuming that your "self defense skills" includes a firearm and a LOT of practice. A single woman will not last very long on her own with nothing more than an MMA class at the local gym.

pW


I currently don't own a firearm and I'm not exactly sure how to obtain one in California. Ironically i dont have a ton of martial arts training.. I need to take some classes.
User avatar
kela_ichosira
California Preppers Network
California Preppers Network
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:23 pm
Location: San Francisco, CA
Karma: 0

Re: Skills that make you "Important" in a collapsed society

Postby CarlosB4 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:41 am

Hello,
You said, “I'm very open to criticism or ideas =)”, your words so I am going to be blunt.
I have worked with some of the roughest men & women in some of the most mercenary infested places in the world.
You are young, attractive and smart. Those skills you have are helpful but they will NOT keep you from being viewed as an object by not just men but also women. In F&^ked up situations Men will see you as a good time and Women will see you as a bargaining chip. There are plenty of attractive nurses and farm hands out there so why shouldn’t a marauder see you like a Doll with a Band-Aid or a plow?

If I was a marauder (like some of those I have worked with can easily turn into) I would only respect a woman I do business with because I have to. Why? Because I have seen it myself in Afghanistan where women are treated like objects but a few of the smart ones figured out that if the Taliban followers have no choice but to do business with them, then they will (behind closed doors even if they will not admit it out in the open as to not show weakness).

Information Trade is always a big business where women do better than men. Even the dumbest group of Marauders (illiterate Taliban fighters) will understand the value of accurate intelligence & spy networks women can bring if they are willing to negotiate with them instead of raping them.

And another thing about you saying “I don't trust men as it is and I'm sure they will be alot more aggressive in a scenario like that”, that is initially your biggest issue and you will find out with a quickness that starting off that is true, then after the dust settles it is not the men’s trust you need to worry about. Men for the most part are simple.
"One of the ordinary modes, by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance, is, by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms."

-- Constitutional scholar and Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840
"Ελάτε να τα πάρετε"

No, you may not quote me for any book, or use any of my posts on this topic or any other for any reason without my express written permission.
User avatar
CarlosB4
 
Posts: 1093
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:05 am
Location: Tampa, Florida
Karma: 97

Re: Skills that make you "Important" in a collapsed society

Postby kela_ichosira » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:48 am

CarlosB4 wrote:Hello,
You said, “I'm very open to criticism or ideas =)”, your words so I am going to be blunt.
I have worked with some of the roughest men & women in some of the most mercenary infested places in the world.
You are young, attractive and smart. Those skills you have are helpful but they will NOT keep you from being viewed as an object by not just men but also women. In F&^ked up situations Men will see you as a good time and Women will see you as a bargaining chip. There are plenty of attractive nurses and farm hands out there so why shouldn’t a marauder see you like a Doll with a Band-Aid or a plow?

If I was a marauder (like some of those I have worked with can easily turn into) I would only respect a woman I do business with because I have to. Why? Because I have seen it myself in Afghanistan where women are treated like objects but a few of the smart ones figured out that if the Taliban followers have no choice but to do business with them, then they will (behind closed doors even if they will not admit it out in the open as to not show weakness).

Information Trade is always a big business where women do better than men. Even the dumbest group of Marauders (illiterate Taliban fighters) will understand the value of accurate intelligence & spy networks women can bring if they are willing to negotiate with them instead of raping them.

And another thing about you saying “I don't trust men as it is and I'm sure they will be alot more aggressive in a scenario like that”, that is initially your biggest issue and you will find out with a quickness that starting off that is true, then after the dust settles it is not the men’s trust you need to worry about. Men for the most part are simple.



The Information trade thing actually helps me out alot and is something I'm pretty good at too :)
User avatar
kela_ichosira
California Preppers Network
California Preppers Network
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:23 pm
Location: San Francisco, CA
Karma: 0

Re: Skills that make you "Important" in a collapsed society

Postby Lynda » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:38 am

" Also I understand men are simple that's exactly why I don't trust them.. it is not to say that i will immediately trust women either but just more inclined to trust them. In general I wont hesitate to shoot someone or defend myself.. what I am looking for is other women's views on the issue."

Okay, I'll bite. I'm not quite sure what you meant by the above statement. I don't hold the belief that men are so simple you can either trust or not trust them and I'm not quite sure why you would have an inherent tendency to not trust men in general.

People are people and I seldom cast one gender or the other into a trust me, trust me not category. I realize that I'm one of the "oldsters" here but my experiences have proven that men of good character are out there and have no distrust of them in general. Why would I?

I almost hate to say it but I think men are easier to get along with. Less cattiness. ;)

If you don't know your state's gun laws, perhaps this is an opportune time to look them up. Then again, I'm a big advocate of women holding licenses to carry.

I think the best skill to have is being able to think outside the box and being able to adapt to adverse situations and scenarios. After all, life throws a lot of curveballs at you along the way. Just having a plan, a back up plan and a back up to the back up plan in case one or the other doesn't work out for you.

If you want to put yourself on a level playing field as men then learn the skills they have. Be financially savvy, learn to operate and maintain a car(change the oil, change a tire), start a generator(you'd be amazed at the women I know who can't do this), learn how to get a woodstove going, etc. Cultivate your own garden. I need to know these things in case my husband is ill or incapacitated.

For any situation: situational awareness.
THINK......It's not illegal yet.

I Am Responsible For What I Say. I Am Not Responsible For What You Understand.
User avatar
Lynda
Massachusetts Preppers Network
Massachusetts Preppers Network
 
Posts: 7451
Images: 6
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:30 pm

Re: Skills that make you "Important" in a collapsed society

Postby Mtn_Hiker » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:18 am

In a collapsed society you have chosen some very useful skills to learn. However I agree with the guys, trading could give you an extra layer of usefulness.


As for how I plan to be useful post SHTF, my skills are all common but varied. I like the term jack of all trades.
I can't really offer much advice on skills, as location and type of event can vary the needed skills. But do learn some mechanical or other type skill. Being able to fix something or know how to build a windmill to pump water could give you a nice advantage.

As for not trusting men.. sorry I tend to trust them more. As someone said earlier, they are simple. To many of our younger generation tend to be selfish, and show no real loyalty.


Mtn
Mtn_Hiker
 
Posts: 185
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:30 am
Karma: 3

Re: Skills that make you "Important" in a collapsed society

Postby catfeet » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:53 am

"What" do you trade? Information? The ability to "do" something? A product? Figure that out and you'll have it.

For example, I can garden and can. I'm a passing great cook. I've toyed with the idea of going merchant with this locally NOW, so in a post SHTF society, I'm valuable. Figure out what you can do and then become an expert. Make yourself valuable. Most guys, for example, no matter how crappy they are, wouldn't hurt the cook for fear of poisoning. :evil:
catfeet
Vermont Preppers Network
Vermont Preppers Network
 
Posts: 1614
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:27 am
Karma: 42

Re: Skills that make you "Important" in a collapsed society

Postby kela_ichosira » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:36 am

I think Information trading is something I could really get into that sounds alot of fun. you make a ton of connections and end up with a general neutrality which i like alot. My medical skills are good enough in my opinion to be an asset to any force as well. And they are important enough to me I'm working on a secondary bag thats small and light and im loading it will any medical supplies i need from Aspirin to lidocaine, gauze, to full IV kits. My goal with some of the medical was for it to "look" and be so advanced that the everyday human would rather have me using it than just taking it.
User avatar
kela_ichosira
California Preppers Network
California Preppers Network
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:23 pm
Location: San Francisco, CA
Karma: 0

Re: Skills that make you "Important" in a collapsed society

Postby oldasrocks » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:53 am

So I'll put my 2 cents worth in as an old man. My wife and I are constantly looking for others to join our small group. Other than a lady doctor friend and one other "down to earth been around the block" older lady I haven't found any other females I'd invite into the group. I could care less about some piece of fluff dumb blonde type who can't carry her weight.

This "older lady" has risen about the BS that younger women tend to brand us males with. My wife tends to view any female as a threat which I find as amusing but it worries me none the less about potential hostility in the group. I would only invite another woman into the group if she has her man with her and even then someone who can rise above physical aspects and get a job done. In a SIP situation there will be little privacy. I would not want someone who would get upset if she saw a male peeing outside and be able to do so herself. It a natural thing not a sex thing. Without running water or enough to flush with basic human functions still have to take place. Sure there are bad guys out there as well as bad women but don't brand us all that way. If a woman is so concerned about being seen as "useful" she is ignoring other things like watching for intruders or missing something eatable or ??.

I also would not be interested in someone male or female that has "studied stuff". I need experienced people. If something needs to be down I don't have time to give classes. Cooks are a dime a dozen in a kitchen situation. If they can throw a decent eatable meal together with starting their own fire and figuring out how to cook what ever is available inc cleaning the fish or rabbit by themselves they they become useful. Nor interested in someone who can merely pull a trigger but be able to tear down and clean the weapon and or clear a jam. Reading a book on suturing is a lot different than doing it. Experience is the only thing that allows you to stay clinical and take care of things.
oldasrocks
Missouri Preppers Network
Missouri Preppers Network
 
Posts: 2384
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:41 pm
Karma: 72

Next

Return to Ladies Section

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


Email Newsletter icon, E-mail Newsletter icon, Email List icon, E-mail List icon Sign up for the APN Email Newsletter - Enter your e-mail address below


  Links and Resources
  -Links
  -Podcasts
  -Free Ebooks



Trusted Sponsors











Copyright
For Notices of Copyright infringement and to contact our DMCA Agent please follow the link below:
Copyright Policy

For terms of use, rules, and policies please read our Disclaimer