• Advertisement

Problem Re: Food

For all the lady preppers out there

Moderators: mmpaints, medic94

Problem Re: Food

Postby WiseWoman » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:46 pm

The past 2 years I have been really afraid to eat any kind of food because of the GMO's and we cannot afford organic. What do you do?
WiseWoman

Re: Problem Re: Food

Postby dogboy » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:25 pm

Start your own garden and grow heirloom varieties.
dogboy

Postby oldasrocks » Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:31 pm

Get over your fears and eat. GMO's are plants that have been crossbred with other plants to add to or protect them.

Example- corn-- the bugs and disease that like to attack corn do not attack some other plants so they were interbred to confuse the bugs and disease. Very few things eat Marigolds so crossing them with another eatable plant does not hurt you but negates the need for chemical sprays to protect the vegetable.
oldasrocks
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby AuntBee » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:05 pm

What the man said.

I wouldn't worry much about GMOs, although I would only plant heritage (and maybe marigolds). What I watch for and get rid off is plastic for food. I especially would not micrwave plastic.

Aunt Bee
AuntBee
New York Preppers Network
New York Preppers Network

Postby WiseWoman » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:13 pm

AuntBee wrote:What the man said.

I wouldn't worry much about GMOs, although I would only plant heritage (and maybe marigolds). What I watch for and get rid off is plastic for food. I especially would not micrwave plastic.

Aunt Bee

Really? I keep hearing they're bad for your health and that we should avoid them. I don't use microwaves or plastic at all.
WiseWoman

Postby oldasrocks » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:30 pm

Aunt Bee, Marigolds are good for the garden and my favorite flower. It was just the first thing I thought of when thinking about what plants bugs don't like.

I think GMO's are a better way to go that using tons of chemicals to control the bugs etc. People have been cross breeding plants for centuries. Some idiot came up with the GMO name and like global warming caused panic.

Maybe we should be scared of ourselves- we're "genetically modified"- half mother and half father- scary!!!!!

I did successfully cross a spider and a horse once.
oldasrocks

Postby daaswampman » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:48 pm

Read up on what crops are GMO and avoid them. With a little study there are still plenty of choices right off the shelf. Knowledge will ease your fears. Swamp
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby 98dot6 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:03 pm

I definitely have eliminated wheat from my normal everyday diet. Every once in a while I will eat wheat, such as at Thanksgiving, where someone has cooked something that contains wheat. Wheat, in my opinion, is likely the main cause of Obesity in this country after it was genetically modified in the 1970s. After that, obesity has been on the rise. Read the book "Wheat Belly" to find out why. I have always been in good shape and I frequently work out. Even then I was slightly over my ideal body weight by 10 to 15 pounds. But then, I lost almost all of my body fat simply by eliminating wheat from my diet back in 2010. I had not changed my exercise habits at all. I guy at work told me about it and convinced me to read the book and try it. I just started losing body fat after no longer eating wheat. That was the only thing I changed. The body fat starting coming off after a week or two and then within a few months I was back to my high school weight when I had almost no body fat. I was amazed at the progress I had made in just a short amount of time. Others who have tried eliminating weight that I know by eliminating wheat from their diet have had similar results.

Wheat Belly Book on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00571F26Y/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00571F26Y&linkCode=as2&tag=theamadoopre-20&linkId=TWATBV6RDIGP22DX
98dot6

Postby rebnavy1862 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:07 pm

oldasrocks wrote:Aunt Bee, Marigolds are good for the garden and my favorite flower. It was just the first thing I thought of when thinking about what plants bugs don't like.

I think GMO's are a better way to go that using tons of chemicals to control the bugs etc. People have been cross breeding plants for centuries. Some idiot came up with the GMO name and like global warming caused panic.

Maybe we should be scared of ourselves- we're "genetically modified"- half mother and half father- scary!!!!!

Okay, I'll bite. What did you get when you crossed a spider and a horse? A nightmare?

Reb
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862
Virginia Preppers Network

Postby oldasrocks » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:38 pm

rebnavy1862 wrote:
oldasrocks wrote:Aunt Bee, Marigolds are good for the garden and my favorite flower. It was just the first thing I thought of when thinking about what plants bugs don't like.

Okay, I'll bite. What did you get when you crossed a spider and a horse? A nightmare?

Reb

Reb, I don't know what it was for sure but after it bit me I was able to ride it to the doctor.
oldasrocks

Postby independentlurker » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:39 pm

Wisewoman... You need to eat or you will die. I agree with avoiding genetically altered foods but there are plenty that are not. I agree with dogboy. If you have space, grow your own.
If you don't have the room then research the food you eat. There are many foods not genetically altered even if they're not organic. I buy organic when I can afford it.

Old as rocks... Monsanto has made roundup ready corn, soybeans and many other crops. They splice a gene from the herbicide, roundup, glcophosphate, into corn or soybeans or whatever so that farmers can spray the crap out of the fields to prevent weeds and it won't kill the corn or soybeans or other GMO'S. I have no problem with hybrids. Anything that can occur in nature should be fine. Oh and they also sue neighbor farmers who plant organically, when the crops they don't want genetically altered, cross with Monsantos crops. Monsanto and a couple other huge corp. have about 90% of the seed market cornered and with their money they have the lawyers to put smaller non compliant farmers out of business. It is getting harder and harder to keep organic seeds pure and uncompromised. Seed saving might not do any good.

As far as eating the genetically altered produce, it remains to be seen what the effects will be in the long term. They are only speculating right now. I would rather avoid them when I can. That is also very hard to do because only Vermont seems to have passed a law about labeling GMO's. More laws I hate, but big corporations taking over our food and our news and our water and our energy really really irks me.
independentlurker

Postby rebnavy1862 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:41 pm

Oldasrocks, A horse doctor or a real MD?
Reb
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862

Postby dogboy » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:16 pm

there's another aspect to GMO's that is not particularly good.... resistance to herbicides. By making food crops that can handle being exposed to nasty chemicals, a larger dose can be used to kill off any trace of weeds. That means that the plants themselves aren't dangerous, just the chemicals they spray them with.

I personally don't worry about GMO's. If I won the lottery, of course I'd eat the best food possible, but with my current budget, I'm glad just to have food.
dogboy

Postby arkieready » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:16 pm

Big difference between crossing wheat varieties or squashes and inserting peanut DNA into watermelons. Nature does the first, mad scientists paid by big ag/pharma does the later.
What they said. Read labels, buy local, grow your own.
What's in your snacks? You obviously eat something, or would not be here to ask. Better gmo's though, than the chemical stew in most prepared foods.
P!

Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.

--Robert Frost--
arkieready
Arkansas Preppers Network
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby WiseWoman » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:52 pm

arkieready wrote:Big difference between crossing wheat varieties or squashes and inserting peanut DNA into watermelons. Nature does the first, mad scientists paid by big ag/pharma does the later.
What they said. Read labels, buy local, grow your own.
What's in your snacks? You obviously eat something, or would not be here to ask. Better gmo's though, than the chemical stew in most prepared foods.

My staples are bananas, apples, grapefruits, salad, peanut/nut butter, oat meal, & soup. I keep it simple plus those are fast & easy to get down.
WiseWoman

Next

Return to Ladies Section