• Advertisement

Load Bearing Vests

For all the lady preppers out there

Moderators: mmpaints, medic94

Load Bearing Vests

Postby derhaashund » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:44 am

I am thinking about adding a load bearing vest / Tactical vest to my preps. Specifically to work in concert with my BOB. My notion is to move some of my essential gear to an easier to access location from my BOB. and also maybe balance the load a little bit more by offsetting a little of the weight to my front.

Two questions go with this:

1. Is this a dumb idea?
2. To put it delicately, I need to find one that will accommodate my... "chesticles". The girls. Ya know. Would anyone have any recommendations, thoughts or experience on this subject?

Earn gift cards to build your prep stash here http://www.points2shop.com/l/45/default?ref=uin1456091242 or PM me for more info.
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Re: Load Bearing Vests

Postby leangenes » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:46 am

I've never really liked wearing a LBV and a back pack. I know some do, but to me, the LBV is more of an intermediate device, to be worn alone when you don't really need to carry everything that is in your pack. Also, the straps on a loaded pack tend to cover so much of the vest, that it is nearly useless, until you take off the pack.

If I am going on a short hike, hunting, or in a SHTF situation, maybe doing guard patrol, but not planning on going too far or too long, an LBV is probably what I would choose, along with a water bladder on my back. Weapons, ammo, communication devices, lights, spare batteries, go on the vest, where they are easily accessible.

If I am going on a longer overnight hike, a long hunt or patrol, a pack with more supplies is what I want. I might even be wearing the LBV under the pack for use when I get to my destination, but probably won't have much gear hung from it.

That's my opinion, YMMV. I am a somewhat compact person, I have known some longer, lankier shaped people who always seemed to have a full pack and an armory and mess hall hanging off a vest and seemed perfectly content.

Can't offer any suggestions about your chesticles, as I am still manboobless (thank god) :lol: .
I don't know what you do in New York, but around here we don't give a man a funeral unless we're pretty sure he needs one.---Fred Ziffel

Eat a live frog first thing in the morning, and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.-– Mark Twain

Postby Stahlrosen » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:01 am

I have several handlers that use them in the field. It is pretty amazing how much stuff they can get in them. I think the ones they have are made by 5.11, but I am sure there are others, and maybe now even some more specific to women. They can get just about everything in them for their 24hr pack, minus the sleeping stuff. All of them wear camel backs or something similar over them. It is nice to have everything sectioned off and in a specific place, as long as you remember where that place is!

Postby RockinB » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:11 am

I keep a load bearing molle vest in my truck. It carries a 1911 45ACP, 5 Spare Magazines, 3 Spare 5.56 PMGS, a tactical LED light, spare batteries, knife, compass, map, energy bars, MRE pouches and a 10"x6" vertical molle pouch attached high on the back with 3 water bottles and a few more energy bars. My change bag has seasonal clothing, snake leggings, lightweight raingear, hat, hiking boots and more water. I may have a 58 mile walk home someday and weight, plus distribution is the most important factor concerning morale during a hump.

I stopped humping a pack when I left the military, never to go that route again so I don't venture far from the ranch. I agree with leangenes, packs and LBV's don't mix very well for comfort / morale during a hump.

Happy Friday Preppers!
There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works.

Postby Fullmoon » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:06 am

I tried a LBV , borrowed it from a friend to try out. It had pockets on the chest to take 6 AR mags and a couple 9MM mags. While laying on the ground I noticed that the mags were being pushed down into the mud and they also held my body up higher, exposing my head as a nice target to any bad guys. Also had to raise up off the ground more to change magazines. This is a no no while being shot at for obvious reasons. The vest also was very uncomfortable while carrying a pack. I have 3 rucksacks, 2 with metal frames and one without any frame and none of them felt good while wearing the vest. I will remain vest free and stick to the old ways, mags on my belt held up with suspender straps, its more familiar and comfortable on this old body.

Postby Gunns » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:05 pm

I got a tactical vest, for using if I have to be outside in SHTF. Not for humping miles.
Life Time NRA Member
Life Time Oath Keeper
Can't fix Stupid no matter how much you try
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby Defcon09 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:50 pm

.............................I used to sell surplus alice packs and LBV's galore on my eBay Store. I even adapted a med. pack to a LBV one time. I would say, if you are a "B" cup or bigger you might have a problem with the mag pockets. Those puppies will feel the pressure because they come right across that part of the map!! But I would say try it, it might work for you...................

Two questions go with this:

1. Is this a dumb idea?
2. To put it delicately, I need to find one that will accommodate my... "chesticles". The girls. Ya know. Would anyone have any recommendations, thoughts or experience on this subject?

Postby Blondie » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:38 pm

Defcon has a great point. If you're a C cup or larger you're not going to be able to tolerate the compression of a vest for long wear time. Even if you can manage a better fit, the larger The Girls, the shorter the length. Chesty women understand this fit issue.

That said, if you have a larger cup size, a heavier backpack with wider set, padded straps might be far more comfortable. It can work as a counter weight on a long hike.

Personal experience. ;)
Living In A Powder Keg & Giving Off Sparks

Postby Fyrediver » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:58 am

Check out the two options that may do what you're asking:

RIBZ: http://www.ribzwear.com/

Hill People Gear Kit Bag: http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/ ... fault.aspx

Both are designed to be worn with a pack, both are designed to move gear to the front where you need it, when you need it. Both are well made, durable, and well designed.
Combined they actually make up my GHB and are carried in my car with my EDC lumbar pack. Yes, it does get a little bulky to run all three simultaneously, but it's for an emergency and for the duration of my trip home if I have to walk.
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.” Charles Darwin
Washington Preppers Network
Washington Preppers Network

Postby sageprice » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:06 am

from a engineering view point, it is the same problem as women and jogging bras. To firm and uncomfortable to loose and stress is placed on the breast tissue. I wonder if a form fitted breast plate isn't the answer.
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network

Return to Ladies Section