• Advertisement

Organic pest repellents?

Gardening tips, questions and information here

Moderator: mmpaints

Organic pest repellents?

Postby RVAprepper2319 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:57 am

Our garden is starting to have problems with bugs and pests and such and My wife doesnt want to use any chemical commercial pesticides.

Does anyone have any tips for keeping bugs off or killing them organically? I've looked through a couple stores and didnt really find much.

Thanks! :D
The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand
RVAprepper2319
Michigan Preppers Network

Re: Organic pest repellents?

Postby dearborn prepper » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:26 am

For furry pest control use urine it seemed to work with my garden just a thin line, if that doesn't work pull out the air rifle, and for bugs I've heard dish water with some soap in it sprayed over the plants help to keep bugs away
dearborn prepper

Postby arkieready » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:23 am

Diatomaceous earth. Food grade. Kills bugs on plants, animals, etc. Must be food grade, not pool filter stuff.
P!

Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.

--Robert Frost--
arkieready
Arkansas Preppers Network
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby Hunter » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:06 am

divers351 posted on another thread that Neem oil is a good product. I found it at Tractor supply and I plan on using it soon and continue it until the plants start to set fruit.
Hunter

Postby divers351 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:46 pm

Worm tea over the leaves and yes NEEM oil after the sun goes down....make sure to spray under the leaves also.
divers351

Postby USMCWife2010 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:15 pm

For bigger pests such as deer and rabbit, I've discovered that a concoction of flour and red/cayenne/habeneros pepper has worked. The red pepper is the actual deterrent; the flour helps you make sure you don't miss a spot. The critters take one bite and never come back. Also, human hair spread around the perimeter of your garden can help. Hit up a local barbershop - some will be willing to sweep the cut hair into a bag instead of throwing it away.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
-Edmund Burke

Fortune favors the well-prepared.

P!
USMCWife2010
Virginia Preppers Network
Virginia Preppers Network

Postby Denver Terry » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:21 pm

I use Neem oil with great success. I even spray my lawn with it. As previously stated, make sure you get the underside of the leaves.
Denver Terry

Postby DesertDweller » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:45 pm

I just got a huge bag of this in the mail, it's not only organic, but edible. http://www.amazon.com/Grade-Diatomaceou ... eous+earth
"What matters most is how well you walk through the fire" ~Charles Bukowski~
DesertDweller
Arizona Preppers Network
Arizona Preppers Network

Postby kappydell » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:38 am

It depends on the bugs...a soap solution is popular for 'sucking' insects like aphids (which spread viruses)and caterpillars (Mix ½ teaspoon of liquid soap, and one gallon of water). Add some baking soda to prevent viruses that insects may have spread (1 tsp to the soap solution). Spray susceptible plants during humid or damp weather on a weekly basis to greatly reduce powdery mildew in your garden. While any plant can become a victim of powdery mildew, keep in mind that lilacs, roses, grapes, squash and cucumbers are most vulnerable.

Some bugs are repelled by a solution of water and some of the bugs/caterpillars/worms/ etc of the same kind. Put some of the bugs in a blender with some water, blend smooth and apply to plants. Apparently the smell of their own dead drives them away (it would me!)

Barriers work for other pests -
Barrier Paper: Scraps of waxed cardboard from milk cartons, or a scrap of roofing felt are a simple yet effective defense against cabbage moths. Cabbage moth larva kill young sprouts of the Brassica family (broccoli, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, kale or cauliflower). Cut into 2" squares and slit one side into the center; make another small slit crossways. Open the slit and slide the square so the seedling stem is in the center. This prevents the cabbage moth from laying eggs at the base of the sprouts. Leave in place - as the plant grows it will simply push the slit open wider. Be sure to apply as soon as the sprout appears, or the moth will beat you to it!

I found that as little as 1 layer of newspaper laid under growing vine crops, close to their bases, helps with vine borers. The adult lands on the vine, and lays eggs in the dirt which hatch and crawl up to bore into the vine. If the adult can't find dirt to lay in, no eggs are left to hatch. I have even had success using large leaves from nearby burdock plants. Just keep those vines off the ground.

Cayenne pepper, blood meal, or chili powder sprinkled on plants keeps nibblers like rabbits, squirrels, etc away. They don't like spices. I had success one year ringing the gardent with hot pepper plants. A few got nibbled, then nothing more. Apparently even the plants were too spicy!

Critter Spray (For getting rid of rabbits, deer, dogs and other four-legged critters)
4 tsp dry mustard 3 tsp cayanne pepper
2 tbsp chili powder 1 tbsp Tabasco sauce
2 quarts of warm water
Mix all the ingredients in a sprayer and apply around the border of your garden. Those pesky deer or rabbits won’t dare enter your garden.

Garlic helps, too...
Garlic Spray Insecticide (For aphids, whiteflies, and spider mites)
1 whole garlic bulb 2 cups of water
1 gallon of water
Combine in blender the entire garlic bulb and two cups water, and blend on high speed until garlic is finely pureed. Put in storage container and set aside for a day. Strain out pulp, and then mix liquid with one gallon water in sprayer. Spray tops and bottoms of leaves thoroughly. Apply about once a week, and after a rain.

Garlic & Pepper Spray (Gets rid of cabbageworms, catepillars, hornworms, aphids, flea beetles, and other insects)
6 cloves of garlic 1 tbsp dried hot pepper
1 minced onion 1 tsp liquid soap
1 gallon of hot water
Blend all ingredients and let sit for one to two days. Strain and use as spray. Ground cayenne or red hot pepper can also be sprinkled on the leaves of plants (apply when leaves are slightly damp) to repel chewing insects or added to the planting hole with bone meal or fertilizer to keep squirrels, chipmunks, dogs and other mammals away from your gardens. Be sure to reapply after rain.

Hopefully this will help you. (I just bone up on this for a prepper class of mine...the next one is 'varmints' (how to tell what is eating your chickens, and what to do about it!)
I too prefer the home made remedies. Even the "natural" commercial ones are way to pricey for me. Bobcat urine might be very effective, but it ain't cheap unless you are on speaking terms with a bobcat!
New laws are like new taxes....both evolve, but they never go away.
kappydell
Wisconsin Preppers Network

Postby Hunter » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:27 am

Thanks kappydell, I am already making worm tea with fish emulsions and was wondering with all of the different things being mentioned as treatments if there is any reason to not use an all above approach and include it all in one. I know that the worm tea has microorganisms that you are building up through making the tea and I wonder if adding other things to this if it would harm them. But if all of the stuff is organic I don't see how, but I don't know. Would putting backing soda in with worm tea be bad? what about dish soap in it? Should we use dish soap that is not antibacterial soap? There is no way that I can spray my crops with every recipe each week but I could spray them each week with a recipe that is an all in one approach.

So maybe we can all make this up together. I would add to this mix for a tea to spray on according it will all work together the following things.

Worm castings ( fertilizer )
fish emulsions ( fertilizer )
magnesium ( mineral )
baking soda ( fungicide )
neem oil or garlic puree and dish soap ( pesticide)
vegetable oil ( to help it all stick to the leaves)
powered milk (fungicide/ calcium mineral )
composted manure ( fertilizer)
aged compost ( Fertilizer/ mineral)
dry mustard ( animal repel )
chili power ( animal repel )
Cayanne pepper ( animal repel )
Tabasco sauce ( animal repel)
garlic ( animal repel/ pesticide )
egg ( animal repel ) except coons

Its no wonder so many people go and buy commercial products, this is all a lot of work. But its worth it if the rewards are a more perfect garden. I did not get all of the minerals covered as i have learned the least about them all yet.
Hunter

Postby gracebowen » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:43 pm

I heard crushed egg shells help with deer and slugs and other crawlers.
gracebowen

Postby xtron » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:34 pm

the above mentioned bug zappers work for most pests. unfortunatly i have been cursed with a tough little bugger i have been trying for 3 years to beat.....colorado potato beetles...i tried soap spray, nicoteen and ammonia, even sevin dust...they just laughed and asked for seconds. the first year, i basically lost the crop. all i got was marble sized spuds. i finally found something called spinosin D...it claims to be for organic garden, but i have no idea exactly what it is, or how it works. all i know is the first time i applied it, at dusk, because it harms bees, by daylight the only beetles i could find were laying on the ground and not moving. it was 2 weeks, and a heavy rain before i needed to reapply. it's the only store bought bug killer i use now. btw...last year i harvested 360 pounds of potatoes out of 200 hills...must be doing something right.
silence in the face of tyranny is implied consent, and, I DO NOT CONSENT
xtron

Postby daaswampman » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:10 pm

Any advice on squash bugs (Anasa tristis)? They have wiped out my squash this year. This is also the first year I have had them that I know of. Swamp
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby IceFire » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:20 pm

One thing that you can do for Colorado potato beetles, is to plant a "trap crop" of eggplant. The potato beetles will SWARM to the eggplant (which doesn't seem to be harmed much by the beetles) and pretty much ignore the potato plants. It's more of a diversionary tactic that outright killing the bugs, but it will sure save your potatoes, and the eggplant production doesn't seem to be harmed by it.I've doen this before, and had good results.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby kappydell » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:15 am

Squash bugs, Swamp? Those flat-backed sucking ones? All I've ever been able to do is hand pick those, and it is a pain. Keeping the vines off the ground helps some. So does "Pepper Soap" (but not as much as I'd like...): Blend four jalapeno peppers and three or four cloves of garlic in a blender or food processor with four cups of water. Place this mixture in another container, and stir in one teaspoon of vegetable oil soap. Let this homemade insecticide set for about twenty-four hours, and strain it through cheesecloth or a wire mesh strainer before pouring it into a sprayer and spraying it on bug-ridden garden plants. Be sure and spray the undersides of foliage, and reapply this homemade insecticide after it rains. The soap helps the hot stuff stick on the plant.

Garlic oil is another spray-on aid: The downside is that it kills the beneficial insects as well as the pests, but adult ladybugs do not seem to be harmed. Soak 3 oz. finely minced garlic in 2 tsp. mineral oil for 24 hours. Add 1 pint water and 1/4-oz. liquid dish soap. Stir the mixture and strain through cheesecloth or a coffee filter into a glass jar. Label and store in the refrigerator. To make the spray, combine 2 tbsp. garlic concentrate with 1 pint of water. Test the spray on a few plant leaves. Check for damage on the leaves after a couple of days. If the plant appears unharmed, then spray the whole crop thoroughly including the undersides of the leaves.

And last but not least, planting catnip and tansy near susceptible plants can repel squash bugs. Be careful about planting tansy--it is poisonous to livestock and can overtake a garden in no time. Natural parasitic flies, which prey on squash bugs, can be attracted to your garden by planting pollen and nectar plants like mint and clover, but I cant afford to buy them so I have never gone that route. Catnip & tansy both have other herbal uses, so they would be more likely for me to try, even though they both spread like, well, weeds.

Me, I have a pesky squirrel to deal with this year more than the bugs. Got a pellet gun for the varmint. Wish my room mate ate game, we'd finish him off in chicken-fried style!
New laws are like new taxes....both evolve, but they never go away.
kappydell

Next

Return to Gardening