• Advertisement

Anesthesia - How?

First Aid, Health, & Medicine go here

Moderator: medic72

Anesthesia - How?

Postby Murby » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:17 pm

Anyone figure out how to make some sort of anesthesia in a SHTF situation?

Looks like Chloroform isn't difficult to make.. not sure about that yet.. seems really dangerous too.

Has anyone come up with any good ideas ? Its not like Propofol will be available and I don't think most would consider a blow to the head appropriate.
Murby

Re: Anesthesia - How?

Postby Illini Warrior » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:41 pm

Murby wrote:Anyone figure out how to make some sort of anesthesia in a SHTF situation?

Looks like Chloroform isn't difficult to make.. not sure about that yet.. seems really dangerous too.

Has anyone come up with any good ideas ? Its not like Propofol will be available and I don't think most would consider a blow to the head appropriate.

was hoping you wouldn't even mention DIY chloroform - it's banned most everywhere on the net ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby Murby » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:54 pm

Illini Warrior wrote:
Murby wrote:Anyone figure out how to make some sort of anesthesia in a SHTF situation?

was hoping you wouldn't even mention DIY chloroform - it's banned most everywhere on the net ....

Ya.. well.. we need options.. we need a discussion on how to put someone down for minor surgeries like an amputation or yanking a bullet out.. things like that.
Murby

Postby terrapin » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:15 pm

Just give em a rag or a piece of leather to bite on, and a snort of whiskey.
I seen it in the movies many times.
But then,
I also saw a man fly... :?

Hmmm... :whistling:
terrapin

Postby Illini Warrior » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:39 pm

Murby wrote:
Illini Warrior wrote:

Ya.. well.. we need options.. we need a discussion on how to put someone down for minor surgeries like an amputation or yanking a bullet out.. things like that.

a properly educated chemist working in a lab can make chloroform - some boob mixing chemical in Tupperware on his kitchen counter is just asking for trouble - reminds me of DoomsDay's Pedophile Boy wanting to do a caesarean on the wife ...
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby Murby » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:54 pm

Illini Warrior wrote:
a properly educated chemist working in a lab can make chloroform - some boob mixing chemical in Tupperware on his kitchen counter is just asking for trouble - reminds me of DoomsDay's Pedophile Boy wanting to do a caesarean on the wife ...

LOL.. I'm not dumb enough to make drugs or explosives without some training.. But that won't stop me from exploring the subject...
Murby

Postby Matte » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:08 pm

Why make it? I don't advise this, it's just been an incredibly slow day at work and I'm killing time :)

Might see the "SHTF Pain Killers" thread, near the end. Then google on "open drop ether".

See the attachment on this post for a different method.

For local anesthesia, google "lidocaine survival".
Attachments
GENERAL ANESTHESIA-ETHYL ALCOHOL.pdf
(207.96 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
Matte

Postby donba » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:08 pm

Wouldn't a 3 foot chunck of two by four work, seams to in the movies........
donba

Postby daaswampman » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:32 pm

I am always amused when people bring up the subject of home brewed anesthesia. Do you have the medical experience, supplies, or equipment to need it? Can you manage their oxygen saturation and ventilation while they are under? It would probably "do less harm" to put a bullet in their head than use any home made concoction and call it anesthesia. Swamp

If a few stiff drinks won't do it, it ain't gonna happen! Primum non nocere:
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby Murby » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:12 pm

daaswampman wrote:I am always amused when people bring up the subject of home brewed anesthesia. Do you have the medical experience, supplies, or equipment to need it? Can you manage their oxygen saturation and ventilation while they are under? It would probably "do less harm" to put a bullet in their head than use any home made concoction and call it anesthesia. Swamp

That's kind of the whole point of discussing such things.. People in forums can come together and combine their knowledge. Someone with some expertise in chemistry, someone with medical experience like a nurse, veterinarian, a nurse, a dentist, or even a dental assistant..

Its sometimes surprising what people can come up with when they put their heads together... sometimes, really complex things can be made simple enough to work.

If you needed a limb amputated or a bullet pulled, would you rather die in your sleep from an anesthetic mistake or die in agony from shock?? Not sure about everyone else but I'd choose the anesthesia.
Murby

Postby daaswampman » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:07 pm

Murby wrote:
daaswampman wrote:I am always amused when people bring up the subject of home brewed anesthesia. Do you have the medical experience, supplies, or equipment to need it? Can you manage their oxygen saturation and ventilation while they are under? It would probably "do less harm" to put a bullet in their head than use any home made concoction and call it anesthesia. Swamp

That's kind of the whole point of discussing such things.. People in forums can come together and combine their knowledge. Someone with some expertise in chemistry, someone with medical experience like a nurse, veterinarian, a nurse, a dentist, or even a dental assistant..

Its sometimes surprising what people can come up with when they put their heads together... sometimes, really complex things can be made simple enough to work.

If you needed a limb amputated or a bullet pulled, would you rather die in your sleep from an anesthetic mistake or die in agony from shock?? Not sure about everyone else but I'd choose the anesthesia.

Have you ever seen or participated with an amputation or GSW? I have and would choose pain over the probable brain damage from some home brewed pain juice. Administering anesthesia is far more complex than just having an anesthetic.

Just for the record "agony" is not a symptom of shock. If anything, shock will reduce the patients awareness to pain. I once relocated a big old boys shoulder with ease, because he fainted! Swamp

The main symptom of shock is low blood pressure. Other symptoms include rapid, shallow breathing; cold, clammy skin; rapid, weak pulse; dizziness, fainting, or weakness.

http://www.medicinenet.com/shock/article.htm
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman

Postby Matte » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:09 am

Murby wrote:If you needed a limb amputated or a bullet pulled, would you rather die in your sleep from an anesthetic mistake or die in agony from shock?? Not sure about everyone else but I'd choose the anesthesia.

That's interesting, from the standpoints of say needing an emergency anesthetic for amputating a trapped limb to free a victim or for use as a euthanasia drug (whether that was the intent or not). If it was my arm that was mangled and stuck in a piece of equipment, or my leg trapped under building debris, I might agree that you anesthetize me before taking a hacksaw to my limb.

Still not understanding why you want to manufacture an anesthetic agent yourself however. You wouldn't be able to produce an agent nearly as pure as even lab grade reagent quality in your kitchen, it'll require time to do so that you may not have, the supplies and equipment would likely be ten times or more the cost of just purchasing it, and the purchased product will come in an appropriate container (with preservatives and stabilizers, if needed) for transport and storage already. Why make it?
Matte

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:53 am

Regardless of the discussions a forum might bring on homebrewed concoctions, it's just too dangerous to have this discussion for the idiots that might read it later and think they're a super educated DIY'er and kills an entire family at home accidently practicing their newfound internet skills....Not a good idea at all even if you didn't care about the illegal aspect of it.

I agree with most here...more harm than good. Risk outweighs the benefits for the patient.

Don't forget the versatility of a human to begin with.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aron_Ralston

In grid-down/SHTF scenarios, there's just going to be death in some situations period....You'll do what you can, sure, of course..... But without sterile environments with trained medical personnel, in some situations you're just going to die. End of story.
Preparation through education is less costly than learning through tragedy.
-- Max Mayfield

If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe.
-- Abraham Lincoln
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby Murby » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:38 am

daaswampman wrote:
Murby wrote:

Have you ever seen or participated with an amputation or GSW? I have and would choose pain over the probable brain damage from some home brewed pain juice. Administering anesthesia is far more complex than just having an anesthetic.

Just for the record "agony" is not a symptom of shock. If anything, shock will reduce the patients awareness to pain. I once relocated a big old boys shoulder with ease, because he fainted! Swamp

The main symptom of shock is low blood pressure. Other symptoms include rapid, shallow breathing; cold, clammy skin; rapid, weak pulse; dizziness, fainting, or weakness.

http://www.medicinenet.com/shock/article.htm

That almost sounds like run of the mill Vasovagal syncope..

Thanks for your input.. good information..
Murby

Postby Murby » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:43 am

Matte wrote:
Murby wrote:If you needed a limb amputated or a bullet pulled, would you rather die in your sleep from an anesthetic mistake or die in agony from shock?? Not sure about everyone else but I'd choose the anesthesia.

That's interesting, from the standpoints of say needing an emergency anesthetic for amputating a trapped limb to free a victim or for use as a euthanasia drug (whether that was the intent or not). If it was my arm that was mangled and stuck in a piece of equipment, or my leg trapped under building debris, I might agree that you anesthetize me before taking a hacksaw to my limb.

Still not understanding why you want to manufacture an anesthetic agent yourself however. You wouldn't be able to produce an agent nearly as pure as even lab grade reagent quality in your kitchen, it'll require time to do so that you may not have, the supplies and equipment would likely be ten times or more the cost of just purchasing it, and the purchased product will come in an appropriate container (with preservatives and stabilizers, if needed) for transport and storage already. Why make it?

ya! You're in the same boat as me.. Either put me down or put the hacksaw down!

I'm just wondering what it would take to manufacture the stuff.. I'm an engineer and frequently have to perform lab level testing for clients to verify process parameters for certain production lines. I have a rudimentary laboratory in my basement.. Things like temperature controlled water baths, centrifuge, glassware, Metler-Toledo scales that go to 0.0001 grams, conductivity meters, microscope, vacuum chambers, high temperature oven, etc..

I'm totally unaware of the complexities, which is why I brought the subject up. You'd think that some kind of "knock you unconscious" drug would be a good thing to have for SHTF..
Murby

Next

Return to First Aid & Medicine