• Advertisement

A little help chosing a .45 ACP

Topics about guns

Re: A little help chosing a .45 ACP

Postby LazyMoose » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:26 am

I will second the recommendation for a Springfield XD. I've carried an XD 45 compact every day for the past 5 or 6 years and have put many thousands of rounds through it without a single failure of any kind. No failures to feed, fire, or extract. I absolutely trust that weapon with my life.

The Springfield XD pistols are very similar in operation to Glocks... the major difference is the grip angle. The XD has the same grip angle as a 1911. This makes it point more naturally for me than a Glock does.
LazyMoose
NRA certified Home Firearms Safety and Pistol instructor - Range Safety Officer
LazyMoose
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby TheGunsmith » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:49 am

Would recommend you take a serious look at a Glock 21 or possibly a Glock 30 and completely avoid the 1911 clones. My reasoning is simple: it is rare to find a 1911 that functions 100% correctly and even more rare to find a Glock that does not.
The problem with growing older is that men no longer consider you dangerous. Make no mistake, I prefer peace, but not at the cost of life or liberty. I know the face of my enemy. Even if some deny it, I am tolerant, but not in the face of tyranny. I respect my fellow man but refuse to ignore that some hate me. I am not fearless. I am not afraid to fear. If it is a fight you are looking for, I will give you one…..your last one.
TheGunsmith
Kansas Preppers Network
Kansas Preppers Network

Postby ForwardPreppers » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:59 pm

TheGunsmith wrote:Would recommend you take a serious look at a Glock 21 or possibly a Glock 30 and completely avoid the 1911 clones. My reasoning is simple: it is rare to find a 1911 that functions 100% correctly and even more rare to find a Glock that does not.

Second that.
SC District 5

When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator
South Carolina State Moderator

Postby SSGT » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:53 pm

divers351 wrote:S&W M&P 45 gets good reviews.....if you can find the little buggers....I have been looking for 2 months!

Here they are...

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... ety++Black

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/prod ... RL+KIT+10R
SSGT

Postby USAFESP20th » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:04 pm

LazyMoose wrote:I will second the recommendation for a Springfield XD. I've carried an XD 45 compact every day for the past 5 or 6 years and have put many thousands of rounds through it without a single failure of any kind. No failures to feed, fire, or extract. I absolutely trust that weapon with my life.

The Springfield XD pistols are very similar in operation to Glocks... the major difference is the grip angle. The XD has the same grip angle as a 1911. This makes it point more naturally for me than a Glock does.

I second that! :gunshooting:
DON"T TREAD ON ME!!!! Live Free and Proud, Always!!!!!!

O' Great Spirit, help me always to speak the truth quietly, to listen with an open mind when others speak, and to remember the peace that may be found in Silence! " Cherokee Prayer"
USAFESP20th
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby CarlosB4 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:16 pm

.45 ACP under $700… I am going to throw in a few not mentioned yet but I like.

Citadel .45 ACP 1911
citadel.jpg
citadel.jpg (48.33 KiB) Viewed 229 times

Bersa Thunder Mini .45 Pro
411544821.jpg
"One of the ordinary modes, by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance, is, by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms."

-- Constitutional scholar and Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840
"Ελάτε να τα πάρετε"

No, you may not quote me for any book, or use any of my posts on this topic or any other for any reason without my express written permission.
CarlosB4

Postby boltactionreducer » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:48 pm

how about s&w 625 or 325 a 45acp revolver can be found under 700. there allot that come to mind by ruger but I like the the p90 model and for 500 new 300 used you can get a rock island gi style clone also for about that same money you can get a norinco clone of the 1911 a1 they are made to mil spec though they do come from china my father in laws has never jammed to knowledge
boltactionreducer

Postby divers351 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:56 pm

SSGT....I Have been watching for them to be instock again.
divers351

Postby prepper87 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:07 pm

kriss vector .45
prepper87
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby boltactionreducer » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:27 pm

prepper87 wrote:kriss vector .45

700 dollor budget :agree:
boltactionreducer

Postby JerryTheViking » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:09 pm

My Ruger P345 has been a GREAT pistol! It was around $450 when new a few years ago, who knows the price now. Ruger reliability, polymer frame with a picatinny rail, 8+1 capacity, SA/DA action. Love it.
I've never fired one, but the Bersa Thunder .45 looks like a winner too. I have the Thunder .380 by Bersa, and it is known as the best kept secret in pistols.... not a puny little toy like the majority of .380 semi-autos, but it fills my hand, has 7+1 capacity, and is rugged as hell! Shoots ANYTHING that it is fed. So, I would assume the .45 version is just as good.
Viking Heritage, Patriot Always!
Communications A.N.T.S.
JerryTheViking
Washington Preppers Network
Washington Preppers Network

Postby Lance » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:26 pm

"We cannot allow the 48% of Americans who pay no taxes to bear the burden of the 52% who do not pay their fair share.............."
Lance

Postby Fenix » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:32 pm

All three of those are over the $700 limit :dots:
You're black. The're white. This ain't Hockey!
No, you may not quote me for any book, or use any of my posts on this topic or any other for any reason without my express written permission.
Fenix
Wisconsin State Moderator

Postby CarlosB4 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:28 am

JerryTheViking wrote:My Ruger P345 has been a GREAT pistol! It was around $450 when new a few years ago, who knows the price now. Ruger reliability, polymer frame with a picatinny rail, 8+1 capacity, SA/DA action. Love it.
I've never fired one, but the Bersa Thunder .45 looks like a winner too. I have the Thunder .380 by Bersa, and it is known as the best kept secret in pistols.... not a puny little toy like the majority of .380 semi-autos, but it fills my hand, has 7+1 capacity, and is rugged as hell! Shoots ANYTHING that it is fed. So, I would assume the .45 version is just as good.

I have got the Thunder .40 (My every day CCW Carry) and .45 versions (My camping Carry). They fire almost identical, and I completely agree with you they will shoot just about anything you feed into them. When it comes to SA/DA fans, once you have fired a Bersa it is hard to downplay how awesome they feel. I admit I have not yet fired a Bersa 1911 so I can't vouch for those, but I did rent the Citadel .45 at my local gun range and I liked it but I don't own one.

My wife is currently carries a S&W .38 snub but has decided to move onto a .380 semi-auto (I am not a fan of the .380 but she is tired of the hard recoil and is set on the .380). She is split on here decision since she fired my Bersa .40 and liked the grip but has no experience with the .380. She has to make up her mind between the Bersa Thunder 380 Lite Matte, Ruger LCP 380 Ultra Compact or North American Arms 380 Guardian.
"One of the ordinary modes, by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance, is, by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms."

-- Constitutional scholar and Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840
"Ελάτε να τα πάρετε"

CarlosB4

Postby Fenix » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:47 am

CarlosB4 wrote:
JerryTheViking wrote:My Ruger P345 has been a GREAT pistol! It was around $450 when new a few years ago, who knows the price now. Ruger reliability, polymer frame with a picatinny rail, 8+1 capacity, SA/DA action. Love it.

I have got the Thunder .40 (My every day CCW Carry) and .45 versions (My camping Carry). They fire almost identical, and I completely agree with you they will shoot just about anything you feed into them. When it comes to SA/DA fans, once you have fired a Bersa it is hard to downplay how awesome they feel. I admit I have not yet fired a Bersa 1911 so I can't vouch for those, but I did rent the Citadel .45 at my local gun range and I liked it but I don't own one.

My wife is currently carries a S&W .38 snub but has decided to move onto a .380 semi-auto (I am not a fan of the .380 but she is tired of the hard recoil and is set on the .380). She is split on here decision since she fired my Bersa .40 and liked the grip but has no experience with the .380. She has to make up her mind between the Bersa Thunder 380 Lite Matte, Ruger LCP 380 Ultra Compact or North American Arms 380 Guardian.

I have the Bersa Thunder 9 Ultra Compact Pro as my compact carry piece, and I love it. I used to have a Bersa thunder .380 that I used as my back-up carry piece and it was a great gun. I never had any trouble with it.
You're black. The're white. This ain't Hockey!
Fenix

PreviousNext

Return to Guns