• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

Easy pump

Discussions about water storage, filtration, purification and procurement

Easy pump

Postby rebnavy1862 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:41 pm

I have looked at the Easy Pump advertised on the home page. Watched the videos. Thinking about purchasing one soon. I am looking for opinions on this pump.

I have a three foot diameter dug well. It is 55 feet deep with the water level at 20 feet down from the top. I just replaced the well cover with a wooden cover so that mounting will be easier. The old concrete cover was crumbling. I have solar power to run my existing well pump and a submersible pump. I also have a dual fuel gennie and a gas gennie to run the pumps on AC power. I am planning a water tower to gravity feed the house if necessary. Of course, there is the old bucket and rope apparatus.

I believe in multiple systems. I like to back up my back ups with multiple back ups to my back ups :)

Has anyone used this hand pump? A regular old-fashioned pitcher pump will not lift the water the required 20 feet. The Easy Pump looks like it will do it easily. At $129 it surely is cheap enough.

Can anybody give me input?

Thanks,
Reb
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862
Virginia Preppers Network

Re: Easy pump

Postby Northern Freeman » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:07 pm

I looked around earlier this year and didn't get much input. Luckily my well is 70 feet and the water level is at 5 to 6 feet late summer. I went with a brass cylinder picture pump. I was a bit worried about how well the plastic would hold up in long term use.
“The Constitution only gives people the right to ‘pursue’ happiness. You have to catch it yourself!” ~ Benjamin Franklin
Ol’ Ben Franklin put it best when he said, “By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.”
Northern Freeman
Minnesota Preppers Network

Postby Drakenstead1 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:35 pm

I'm always interested in well questions. This one is no exception. I'll be following this thread
My own situation is a bit tougher. Northern Freeman has possible pollution from mining to contend with & I'm sure RebNavy has issues as well
Point is that the questions are as much about the geology of the area as much as they are about the available technology.
My well is 185 feet down which I believe is beyond the capacity of most of the solar systems I have seen.
Plus here on the high prairie I may have to deal with the run off of agricultural products that are potentially deadly
Like Reb I believe in multiple back ups (I suspect that like me, both you gentlemen are suspenders and a belt kind of guys)
Right now I have the gennie to run my pump which is a good short term solution. Long term I have to depend on availability of fuel
or solar charger which in the Land of Long Sunlight (a couple of months a year) is a questionable solution.
I wish I had more than questions on this topic but must watch listen & learn
Drakenstead1

Postby rebnavy1862 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:17 pm

Actually I do both, but not at the same time. Belts and suspenders, that is.
Reb
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862

Postby Northern Freeman » Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:22 pm

Luckily the only mining within my area is beyond a 150 mile range, except for gravel which is just surface scraping. The Iron mines are way south and the new proposals for the sulfide and the copper-nickel are no where near me. But Minnesota is known for being border line on arsenic, and my well is just below the limit.
“The Constitution only gives people the right to ‘pursue’ happiness. You have to catch it yourself!” ~ Benjamin Franklin
Ol’ Ben Franklin put it best when he said, “By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.”
Northern Freeman

Postby Northern Freeman » Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:40 pm

Earlier this year I did find and post about a home made well pump that goes down to 60 feet. I figured I had enough on my table at the time and bought a shallow well pump. But here is the link. http://www.motherearthnews.com/diy/pvc- ... z37SgmIxi5
Northern Freeman

Postby angie_nrs » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:32 pm

Hey Reb -

I've been considering the same type of purchase. Unfortunately, I still feel like I don't understand enough to actually pull the trigger on the purchase. I'm confused as to the differences in the different brands out there. I like the flojak for some reason, but it is pricey.

Here's a discussion on the topic....hope you find it useful.
viewtopic.php?f=607&t=27520

I'll be paying attention to this thread as well since I really do want a manual pump. Hopefully someone will post enough information to push me over the edge and actually BUY one. ;)
angie_nrs

Postby pilgrimtr » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:52 am

Hi Reb,
you had me going in circles. until I found the link to EZ pumps, not easy pumps. my well is not as deep as yours. mine is 88' deep and we hit water at 43'. so if I lost power for an extended time I could make a well bucket out of pvc about 5' long. with a check valve in the bottom and pull water up, of course after pulling the submersible pump. My concern is that they have dropped there sce 40 pipe to sec 20 pipe and brag that it is so much lighter. I would rather have sec 40 for the strength. thought I still might call and get some more information. from EZ pumps. it would be easier than pulling the submersible. pilgrim ;)
if someone tell you they are an expert, be leary of them. if they tell you they are knowlagable of something.trust them. Remember an ex is a has been and a spert is a drip under pressure. :)
pilgrimtr
Florida Preppers Network
Florida Preppers Network

Postby FussyOldHen » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:42 pm

Come on, guys, post a link!

"Easy Pump" had me going in circles, too. All I see here is the Handy Well Pump.

So are you talking about the DIY kits "The Original Emergency EZ Well Hand Pump Since 2006" starting at $139 at http://www.ezwaterwellhandpumps.com/ ?

Or the Crank EZ Rotary Vane Pump at http://www.handpumps.com/hand-pumps/crank-ez-rotary-vane-pump.html ?
FussyOldHen

Postby rebnavy1862 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:40 pm

OK, so I got mixed up. It's the Handy pump.
Reb
Alzheimer's is a terrible thing

rebnavy1862

Postby Northern Freeman » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:22 pm

I looked at the link, it kinda reminds me of those TV show buy it now or it will be sold out by tomorrow deals. I tried looking up reviews on it, nothing. Another forum had the same question about it. It looks very flimsy to me to be able to pump at 100 plus feet. Then the thought runs through my mind that why do so many pumps only pump at 20 feet and to go beyond that it jumps $1000 or more. Remember the robot on Lost in Space, Danger Will Robinson. It also makes me wonder how many will be bought and put into storage till needed and have never been tested.
Northern Freeman

Postby rebnavy1862 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:24 pm

Northern Freeman wrote:I looked at the link, it kinda reminds me of those TV show buy it now or it will be sold out by tomorrow deals. I tried looking up reviews on it, nothing. Another forum had the same question about it. It looks very flimsy to me to be able to pump at 100 plus feet. Then the thought runs through my mind that why do so many pumps only pump at 20 feet and to go beyond that it jumps $1000 or more. Remember the robot on Lost in Space, Danger Will Robinson. It also makes me wonder how many will be bought and put into storage till needed and have never been tested.

Thanks for a very practical response. Yes, it does seem to defy the laws of physics.

Reb
never one to break laws, especially physics

rebnavy1862

Postby FussyOldHen » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:42 pm

I think most, if not all, of the simple-type hand pumps are designs copied from the eco-village of Gaviotas in Columbia. Their scientists didn't defy the laws of physics, but they did rearrange the pump design to eliminate the limitations of depth. If you've heard of the PlayPumps that have been installed in Third World countries, that's their design, attached to a seesaw -- when the kids use the seesaw, it pumps the water.

Here's an overview about the place:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaviotas

And here: http://backspace.com/notes/2003/08/gaviotas.php
Quote from this site: "The most significant invention is a simple hand pump capable of tapping aquifers six times deeper than conventional models, but requiring so little effort that children can operate it. In normal pumps a heavy piston must be raised and lowered inside a pipe. Gaviotas engineers realized they could do the reverse; leave the piston stationary and lift an outer sleeve of lightweight, inexpensive PVC tubing instead.”

There's also a fascinating book about the place, Gaviotas: A Village to Reinvent the World by Alan Weisman (1999). It's in the library system, and Amazon has the Kindle and paperback version.

Here are (poor) photos of their pump, parts and assembly; the writing is not so great because it has been translated from the original Spanish.

Here is a .pdf file with info, but I forgot what it is, since I suddenly cannot open .pdf files. I can't look into it, but I think it is an improved version of the Spanish translation above, and with clearer photos and explanations. http://www.fastonline.org/CD3WD_40/JF/JF_OTHER/SMALL/Hannu%20-%20water%20pumps%20-%20seesaw-type,%20bicycle-type,%20rower-type,%20etc%20-%2028%20Sept%202000.pdf

if you look at these websites, I think it will be explaining the Handy Pump, the Simple Pump, and the Storm Pump. But once you comprehend the operation, you may be able to build one yourselves.
FussyOldHen

Postby pilgrimtr » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:00 am

Northern Freeman,
the reason the a shallow well pump will only pull water from 20' has to do with barometric pressure. the pressure of the atmosphere only exerts enough pressure to push water up around 20' it like drafting for a fire pump. once you start lowering the pressure in the pipe then the atmosphere starts pushing the water up the pipe. so if the water is lower than 20'. that's when you have the have a submersible pump or a deep water pump with check valves in the foot.
think about when you use a straw in a glass your not sucking the water up the straw you reduce the pressure in the straw and the pressure on the surface of the water pushes the water up the straw. pilgrim ;)
if someone tell you they are an expert, be leary of them. if they tell you they are knowlagable of something.trust them. Remember an ex is a has been and a spert is a drip under pressure. :)
pilgrimtr
Florida Preppers Network
Florida Preppers Network

Postby rebnavy1862 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:11 am

pilgrimtr wrote:Northern Freeman,
the reason the a shallow well pump will only pull water from 20' has to do with barometric pressure. the pressure of the atmosphere only exerts enough pressure to push water up around 20' it like drafting for a fire pump. once you start lowering the pressure in the pipe then the atmosphere starts pushing the water up the pipe. so if the water is lower than 20'. that's when you have the have a submersible pump or a deep water pump with check valves in the foot.
think about when you use a straw in a glass your not sucking the water up the straw you reduce the pressure in the straw and the pressure on the surface of the water pushes the water up the straw. pilgrim ;)

Thanks Pilgrim. That's the law I was trying to remember. You explained and simplified it beautifully.
Reb

rebnavy1862

Next

Return to Water