• Advertisement

PA: Blizzard on the Way! Ugh!

General PA topics go here

Moderators: ReadyMom, kr105

Re: PA: Blizzard on the Way! Ugh!

Postby Defcon09 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:48 pm

Flakes started falling around 9:30 PM here. We are ready.
Defcon09

Postby anita » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:51 pm

Ugh, Just checked Weatherboy Weather. We're in the deepest area, 1-2' (a big range) Up to 30" in some pockets. For a time it will fall 2-5" per hour! 40 MPH winds. Thundersnow.

It looks like the changeover to sleet will be within a half hour of me, but at the moment we are on the all-snow side.

My Berkey is pretty full. (and I've got several cases of bottled water.) Wash is done. Dishwasher run. The generator ran tonight so it is working. Cell phone, iPad is charged. I've already stocked the fireplace and brought in wood.

Oh-boy. Stay safe, everybody.
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby 3ADScout » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:54 pm

Just another winter day in Erie. Near the lake shore 8-12 inland 12-14. Should put us around #2 for the snow derby for the snowiest city over 100K. As I write this there are no school closures or even a 2 hour delay.
3ADScout

Postby ReadyMom » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:20 pm

More pretty colors on a map. Same horrible forecast:
Screen Shot 2017-03-13 at 10.19.17 PM.png
I'm in the Harrisburg 12 - 20" part of the map. :( :( :( It's already started falling and sticking.

The mom of our daughter's boyfriend works for PEMA (Penna Emergency Management Assoc). She's on the emergency staff for this storm. She came over for dinner, tonight & we invited her to use our spare bedroom for the night, but she's staying at a local hotel so they can get her & other staff to the PEMA office via 'shuttle' tomorrow morning (which could be the National Guard, if needed). So interesting to hear what goes on 'behind-the-scenes' for a storm of this magnitude. -k
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby NJMike » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:26 pm

I've bugged out by circumstance of work travel.

Good luck everyone.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby ReadyMom » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:41 pm

And so it begins:

snow starts.jpeg
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby ReadyMom » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:47 pm

The ONLY good news I can gleem outta this storm is that I'm in the 25 bottle range and I'm prepped for that! 8)
Screen Shot 2017-03-13 at 10.52.39 PM.png
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Straydog » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:59 pm

I've been chuckling over this all day. Schools officially closed here in NY by edict of his immenseness the &%&*%**^ Cuomo. Shut the schools down statewide since we might get some snow. Really? We have not had serious snow here in years, minus the 7' that fell in Buffalo a few years back. None of our winters are anything like they used to be and we are in the prime lake effect region. We are used to having serious snow so 20" really is not a big deal. Sure, the wind could kick up, it might force people to slow down a bit. It won't make people think to prepare ahead of time and I can only imagine how many generators, gallons of milk, and loaves of bread were sold. Likely cases of water too. These days the news and those in charge hype every little thing to the point of idiocy while paying no attention to important things. So, I will enjoy the roads to myself hopefully as I make my daily commute to work. I won't have time to worry about a few snowflakes. Real or Liberal... :dots:
Straydog
New York Preppers Network
New York Preppers Network

Postby Lynda1 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:55 am

18 to 24 inches here in Worcester County(MA.) We're ready but then again, we always are. We never did put the shovels and plow away.
Lynda1

Postby anita » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:18 am

It's been sleeting at my house since at least 5 AM, so the snow/rain line is moving farther north than predicted. We only have about 3 inches on the ground (not sure what was there before it started sleeting), so we may end up with no accumulation in the end. Oops!
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby Stahlrosen » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:08 am

ReadyMom wrote:The ONLY good news I can gleem outta this storm is that I'm in the 25 bottle range and I'm prepped for that! 8)

:rofl: Can I come to your house? :)
I was reading an article earlier on the storm and they quoted a lady saying they would be fine as long as the power didn't go out. :blink: Ummmm........ :huh:
I guess that is their version of prepared.
Stahlrosen

Postby ajax727 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:57 am

wow it snows up north that is breaking news .
Anyway it snowed here Sunday around 1/2 inch , it melted away and now cold and raining .
Y'all stay safe and warm , i'm off to see another Doctor .
To see things as they are not as they want you to see them .. With the stroke of a pen all you rights and freedom can end ...
ajax727

Postby Cast Iron » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:11 am

Straydog wrote:I've been chuckling over this all day. Schools officially closed here in NY by edict of his immenseness the &%&*%**^ Cuomo. Shut the schools down statewide since we might get some snow. Really? We have not had serious snow here in years, minus the 7' that fell in Buffalo a few years back. None of our winters are anything like they used to be and we are in the prime lake effect region. We are used to having serious snow so 20" really is not a big deal. Sure, the wind could kick up, it might force people to slow down a bit. It won't make people think to prepare ahead of time and I can only imagine how many generators, gallons of milk, and loaves of bread were sold. Likely cases of water too. These days the news and those in charge hype every little thing to the point of idiocy while paying no attention to important things. So, I will enjoy the roads to myself hopefully as I make my daily commute to work. I won't have time to worry about a few snowflakes. Real or Liberal... :dots:

If it impacts NYC, then it is news.
As for the rest of us, well, they do not pay attention to what happens outside of NYC.

Two weeks ago, they got snow and it made the national news. A few days later, we got even more snow.
Not so much as a peep.
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Postby Cast Iron » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:16 am

According to this, it "shifted" West.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/03/14/ ... -snow-nyc/

Perhaps I am reading into it too much, but it reads like there was some big collective sigh of relief coming out of NYC . . . nevermind those living to the West.
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Postby anita » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:17 am

We went back to snow around 9 am or so, and now it's sleeting again. It's just ugly out, and shoveling this will be miserable.

anita

PreviousNext

Return to Pennsylvania Discussion, News and Weather