• Advertisement

storing coffee

Food Discussions. Storage, Recipes and More (Sub Forums are Unlocked)

Re: storing coffee

Postby HoppyGirl » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:46 pm

I plan to buy green coffee beans at Costco.com, and then when needed roast them. I have heard they stay good for 20-30 years if stored correctly.

We did an accidental coffee experiment and found bags on sale at Amazon (whole beans, it is all we use) for $5.00 a bag. I bought probably close to 60 bags. Then I bought about 60 bags from Starbucks after a Christmas clearance. We were going to put them on Amazon FBA but I got sick and they ended up too close to expiration to send in. The coffee has stayed good sitting in our garden room (definite temperature fluctuations) for several years. We are still drinking it and even without being put in mylar with oxygen absorbers or dry canned, it has stayed good. It is in an old fashioned farm cupboard, and that helps moderate temperature with the thick wood and keeping it in the dark. I have pulled out a few bags and I am going to test one every 6 months, I am kind of curious now.
HoppyGirl

Postby mombear » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:43 pm

Just a FYI I opened a jar of coffee I vacuum packed in '06, took it to the American Legion Post and made a 99 cup peculator full of coffee with it. Someone asked me what type of coffee it was cause it was good. It was dunkin' donuts brand, LOL!!

Anyways thought you all might want to know. I have vacuum packed two quart jars to replace it.
Your failure to prepare, does not make it an emergency for me!!
mombear
Arkansas Preppers Network
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby ReadyMom » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:36 pm

mombear wrote:Just a FYI I opened a jar of coffee I vacuum packed in '06, took it to the American Legion Post and made a 99 cup peculator full of coffee with it. Someone asked me what type of coffee it was cause it was good. It was dunkin' donuts brand, LOL!!

Anyways thought you all might want to know. I have vacuum packed two quart jars to replace it.

We are also drinking coffee from 2006-9 that I just packed in buckets, w/lids. :blush: Coffee was MUCH cheaper, back then and I also found some cheap priced coffee in discount stores, back then. I'm now filling up those empty buckets. I'm purchasing the more expensive coffee, when on sale ... getting the strong 'Colombian' coffee and mixing with cheaper 'discount' store coffee. I figure when SHTF connoisseurs of coffee will just be grateful for the coffee in front of them 8) . -k
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby kappydell » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:22 am

]I have VERY old cans of coffee in my preps; I'm using some right now over 10 yr old, not refrigerated. No issues; but if there is ever any issue with my older cans, I fall back on the depression era way of making bitter coffee better...just add a tsp of sugar to the grounds-basket when you make it up (12 cup pot). Smooths out any bitterness quite nicely, thanks.
And my long term solution is to grow a camelia sinensis bush (where all tea comes from) in my yard. For the pretty flowers of course (wink, wink). Tea is easy to process and also has caffeine. And it WILL grow in zones 6-8.

small scale tea growing and processing in hawaii.pdf
(839.81 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
New laws are like new taxes....both evolve, but they never go away.
kappydell
Wisconsin Preppers Network
Wisconsin Preppers Network

Postby jimLE » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:25 am

im a coffeeholic myself..and the only solutions i've come up with,for my self.is to stock up on it,when it comes to buying it.in which there's 2 options with that,1st is to store it as is,.2nd is to use a vacuum sealer to store it.in which all id have to do.is to grab one vacuum sealed bag,to make one pot of coffee.the 3rd option,is to grow my own..
jimLE

Previous

Return to Food & Water