• Advertisement

Burying a tank for storage

General Preparedness Topics Relating to your Family

Moderators: IceFire, medic94

Re: Burying a tank for storage

Postby oldasrocks » Thu May 18, 2017 1:26 pm

WOW Bet he was ticked. Movin' on up -just like the Jeffersons.
oldasrocks
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby daaswampman » Thu May 18, 2017 6:25 pm

I have several and there is more to it than the strength of the tank. Ground water and soil type are also factors. My first professionally installed shelter did not float as there was a one ton weights attached to each corner, but the floor buckled and it filled with a foot of water. That's right, one foot of ground water above the floor, destroyed a 30 thousand dollar, professionally built, steel reinforced fiberglass storm shelter!

After that I learned how to install one. Either have a drain system or gently bury it in concrete. I have one much like the one pictured and it is now totally entombed in concrete as a drain system was not possible that close to the pond. It took several weeks and forty yards of concrete, but it ain't moved, leaked, twisted or anything else! That is forty yards of concrete at two tons per yard! The other one with a drain system is also problem free, but not nearly as cool as the tomb!

I have seen several concrete septic tanks installed for discreet storage and none have had any serious problems! Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby Permafrost » Thu May 18, 2017 7:48 pm

Don't think I've ever been so glad to have permafrost. Granted I have to dig a hole with a jackhammer or light multiple fires to thaw my ground enough to dig it with a shovel but I've never seen a tank of any type do that.
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby daaswampman » Thu May 18, 2017 8:16 pm

Just another snap of what can happen to a buried tank! Swamp
Attachments
Tanks.jpg
daaswampman

Postby daaswampman » Thu May 18, 2017 8:21 pm

More than tanks will float around here! There goes Grandma! Swamp

http://www.insideedition.com/headlines/ ... al-streets
Attachments
9685.jpg
daaswampman

Postby ajax727 » Fri May 19, 2017 6:21 am

Seeing is believing swamp .
We have the same issue due to ground water level in some spots . I have one barrel just like the gas station one . It had fuel in it at one time , i have not cut it open yet . It will go on a pad then encased and covered with dirt ,one end door , plywood floor will be used for storage / storm shelter .
To see things as they are not as they want you to see them .. With the stroke of a pen all you rights and freedom can end ...
ajax727

Postby oldasrocks » Sun May 21, 2017 8:39 pm

Ajax do you know how to cut into an old gas tank safely? There is a trick to it and NOT for amateurs. You;ll wake up here and there in cooked pieces if you don't do it right. Even if a tank has been sitting for 15 yrs it will still blow. The gas permeates into the metal and locked in till heated.

Probably should have been given an insanity plea but welded on a new valve on a 10,000 gallon tank 1/2 full. When you're hungry you do stupid things. For some reason the last gas tank I repaired spooked me and I have not welded one since.

Fill them with exhaust fumes to offset the oxygen balance. Put an airtight hose on an exhaust, preferably diesel and let it cook for 1/2 hr or more. Make sure you have an exit for the gases on the other end of the tank so it's vented properly. Leave the exhaust running into it while cutting. I used the regular hose they use in garages to vent exhaust outside. Anything else will melt.

I have a 6,000 gallon tank done that way. Cut a straight line on the side you want the hinge on. Then weld on a piano hinge. proceed to cut out the other 3 sides of the door. Every 12 inches or so of cut cover it with duct tape to minimize any air/oxygen getting back in.

Do the door latch in a way no one can lock you inside.
oldasrocks

Postby anita » Sun May 21, 2017 9:31 pm

I know someone whose pool popped out of the ground when it had been emptied to be painted. That's a concrete pool, not a fiberglass one. In fact, if memory serves me a local large public pool popped once. That wasn't that long ago, maybe within 10 years.

One example:
http://wfla.com/2015/08/03/pool-pops-ou ... -in-pasco/
anita

Postby ajax727 » Mon May 22, 2017 7:00 am

Good advice oldasrocks .
I cut my first one open back in 76 or 77 . We piped in fumes from a tractor , and the temps was around 40 degrees . We built a wood fired water system to cure tobacco it was a money saver for us . 4" tubes 28 of them , 5 feet deep fire box . One stack fan pulling air (home made ) one door fan pushing air and a brick on a top fill pipe ( pressure relief valve ), when the brick was rocking the water temp would be 212 -215 .
To see things as they are not as they want you to see them .. With the stroke of a pen all you rights and freedom can end ...
ajax727

Postby oldasrocks » Mon May 22, 2017 11:38 am

ajax727 wrote:Good advice oldasrocks .
I cut my first one open back in 76 or 77 . We piped in fumes from a tractor , and the temps was around 40 degrees . We built a wood fired water system to cure tobacco it was a money saver for us . 4" tubes 28 of them , 5 feet deep fire box . One stack fan pulling air (home made ) one door fan pushing air and a brick on a top fill pipe ( pressure relief valve ), when the brick was rocking the water temp would be 212 -215 .

Love it! that's the American way-build it yourself.

They're digging up a few more underground gas tanks around here. SO tempting to haul a couple more home.

I'm probably lucky I didn't get caught hauling the two I have. 20 ft long and 10 ft diameter. I had a crane sit them on my 20 ft trailer and drove home. Drug them off with a tractor. No wide load signs, no hazmat paperwork, nothing. I cut one in half for two 10 ft tall 10 ft diameter sheds. The final cut when they split open they always flare/pop. Scares the poop out of you.
oldasrocks

Previous

Return to General Family Preparedness