• Advertisement

Lone Star Tick

Post General Louisiana Topics Here

Lone Star Tick

Postby daaswampman » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:02 pm

Title: Something worth knowing as your Doctor might not! or How to stay alive despite Modern Medicines best efforts!

Case: Patient was seen repeatedly and nearly crocked before he was diagnosed!

Treatment: Don't do that anymore!

Worth reading:

OH, LOVELY: THE TICK THAT GIVES PEOPLE MEAT ALLERGIES IS SPREADING

[snip]

It’s an unusual condition that has only been recognized for less than a decade: red meat allergy. The allergy develops after a bite from a Lone Star tick triggers a person’s immune system to begin producing IgE antibodies to alpha-gal, a sugar found in meat such as beef, lamb, venison and pork.

It can be a confounding condition to diagnose. Unlike other food allergies in which a reaction occurs soon after eating – alpha-gal meat reactions often don’t develop until three to six hours after red meat has been consumed. So while the allergic symptoms (ranging from hives and itchiness to full-blown anaphylaxis) may be obvious, doctors and patients can miss that red meat is the culprit.

https://www.wired.com/story/lone-star-t ... spreading/

Red Meat Allergy: Incidence on Rise, Therapy in Works

[snip]

It’s an unusual condition that has only been recognized for less than a decade: red meat allergy. The allergy develops after a bite from a Lone Star tick triggers a person’s immune system to begin producing IgE antibodies to alpha-gal, a sugar found in meat such as beef, lamb, venison and pork.

It can be a confounding condition to diagnose. Unlike other food allergies in which a reaction occurs soon after eating – alpha-gal meat reactions often don’t develop until three to six hours after red meat has been consumed. So while the allergic symptoms (ranging from hives and itchiness to full-blown anaphylaxis) may be obvious, doctors and patients can miss that red meat is the culprit.

“I think it really is increasing,” says Commins. He says there are 3,500 documented reports of red meat allergy in the United States, and suggests the number is even higher. While the recent availability of blood testing for alpha-gal allergy may have improved diagnosis, it also seems a true increase.

“When we put out that first paper in 2009, we had 24 patients and we had to get five of those from southern Missouri,” says Commins. When he speaks to fellow allergists, this allergy “has really has taken over the adult food allergy side in a lot of the southeastern and eastern U.S. states practices.”

The habitat of the Lone Star tick (Amblyomma americanum) also appears to be expanding. While reports of red-meat allergy were originally confined to Virginia, North Carolina, Tennessee, Arkansas and Missouri, some cases are now reported in states like Ohio and New Jersey.

One allergist based on Long Island, New York says she has over 200 patients with red meat allergy – patients who got tick bites.

https://allergicliving.com/2016/07/19/r ... apy-works/

We have seen two this Spring! They are our first cases, perhaps the first we figured out?
Attachments
Looks dead to me.jpg
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network

Re: Lone Star Tick

Postby rebnavy1862 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:02 pm

Yep, lone star ticks and red meat allergies are here to stay in Ole Virginnie.
Reb
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862
Virginia Preppers Network

Postby farmer_dude48 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:11 am

Has this always been around ?? Or is it because of the crap they are putting in our food ???

Thoughts :?
" Doing what I can with what I got " Mr. Burt Gummer
farmer_dude48
Indiana Preppers Network
Indiana Preppers Network

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:55 am

Seriously.....Can you even imagine it?

I mean, 1 bite, ONE, and NO BACON!!!...Forever?!!?....Kill me now please...

I have had to cut out all tiny seeds and nuts from Diverticulitis... Massive dietary changes...I certainly miss my macadamia nuts.
The hardest though?......POPCORN...I was a popcorn fanatic when it came to movie going...I cant even enjoy a theater anymore from the torture the smells put upon me not being able to have it...Haven't been to a theater now for about 3 years...But you adjust...life goes on. NBD.

BUT NO BACON??!!!!??.......Uh-Uh.... Bullet to the brain please.
Preparation through education is less costly than learning through tragedy.
-- Max Mayfield

If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe.
-- Abraham Lincoln
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby Stahlrosen » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:45 am

I can't even imagine life without bacon. :shock:
I met a guy yesterday that had this, felt really bad for him :(

I have to wonder too if it isn't all the crap they put in food now days that triggers this. We are fortunate to have a local source of grass fed beef and pork, but obviously that isn't all we eat, so there is no telling what is in some food.
Can people still eat things like chicken fish and rabbit?
Stahlrosen

Postby rebnavy1862 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:22 pm

DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE wrote:Seriously.....Can you even imagine it?

I have had to cut out all tiny seeds and nuts from Diverticulitis... Massive dietary changes...I certainly miss my macadamia nuts.
The hardest though?......POPCORN...I was a popcorn fanatic when it came to movie going...I cant even enjoy a theater anymore from the torture the smells put upon me not being able to have it...Haven't been to a theater now for about 3 years...But you adjust...life goes on. NBD.

I have gastroparesis. Had to give up food alltogether :(
Reb
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862

Postby farmer_dude48 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:43 pm

rebnavy1862 wrote:

Reb

I have Diverticulitis and Doc removed 2ft of my colon.. Later he told me that popcorn and peanuts wouldn't hurt me or cause any flare ups. Its been 5yrs and everything seems to be ok I have popcorn 3 or 4 times a week with no problems... Just wanted to share pls don't do anything without talking to your Doctor....
" Doing what I can with what I got " Mr. Burt Gummer
farmer_dude48
Indiana Preppers Network
Indiana Preppers Network

Postby daaswampman » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:20 pm

The medical side wants to think this is something we just discovered, but I wonder - if humans are the disease and this is part of nature's immune system at work?

There does seem to be many new and deadlier aspects in the great outdoors! Perhaps it is a reminder of who is in charge! Beta testing for Revelations? Sure hope I get front row seats! Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman

Postby apache235 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:47 pm

I was on no seeds or nuts for 20 years. My last colonoscopy the doc said "you don't eat what? Why?" Well,hot damn - BUT do check with you doc first cuz what I went through, I wouldn't wish on anybody.
apache235

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:51 am

farmer_dude48 wrote:
rebnavy1862 wrote:

Reb

I have Diverticulitis and Doc removed 2ft of my colon.. Later he told me that popcorn and peanuts wouldn't hurt me or cause any flare ups. Its been 5yrs and everything seems to be ok I have popcorn 3 or 4 times a week with no problems... Just wanted to share pls don't do anything without talking to your Doctor....

Damn Reb...Sorry to hear that. I had to look it up to understand a little of it... So you cant even do the soft pastas and such?

This intestinal stuff is no friggin' joke....This is an amount of pain that I wish on NO ONE!...And I mean no one.....Well, except maybe ISIS. ;)

The best analogy I have to describe it is all of a sudden you get stabbed in the stomach, but the knife is left in there with the handle protruding and you proceed to go about your day....Then, every now and then someone notices you have a knife handle sticking out of your belly that they get to grab and go "YA YA YA!!! and swirl it around for about 20-30 seconds"....Then you go about your day again until you go to the ER....

I've heard about the no seeds or nuts being an older understanding on this disease that is coming under question....Newer thinking is that it might be stress related.....All I know is that after 3 severe attacks in a 1 year period that if I have another one I'm supposed to go under the knife....Trying to avoid that at all cost..........My doc, who also suffers from it, when I asked him what he does, doesn't eat nuts or seeds EVEN THOUGH HE STATES ITS FINE> lol...That's good enough for me especially since(Fingers crossed) there's been a nice break of flare-ups for about 6 months now without me eating them in any way...I didn't cut them out entirely at first.

If there was a single bit of understanding of this disease, its causes and cures other than cutting it out, I'd be a bit more flexible to opening up my diet....It's amazing on what Dr's still cant explain but take the arrogance route and state its "This or that" without having a single consensus on the damn disease.....(We think its from low fiber...We think seeds or nuts should be avoided...oh wait, seeds or nuts are fine again, we're back to we don't know what causes flare-ups"... :rolleyes: )

Anyways....Didn't mean to hijack the thread...

Like you I'm sure Reb, I cant imagine life without bacon from a damn tick bite, but when life hit's, we somehow adapt and live on..... be well my friend.

Preparation through education is less costly than learning through tragedy.
-- Max Mayfield

If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe.
-- Abraham Lincoln
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby rebnavy1862 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:09 am

I've been dealing with Crohn's for 31 years. Multiple abdominal surgeries.
Reb

rebnavy1862

Postby rickdun » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:36 pm

Here's an article about the lone star tick that has affected hundreds in Long Island:

Col. Sanders is happy:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/tin ... -1.3368168
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Return to Louisiana Discussion, News and Weather