• Advertisement

Electric vs Gas Operated Stoves and Ovens

Discuss general food topics here

Re: Electric vs Gas Operated Stoves and Ovens

Postby ForwardPreppers » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:50 pm

We opted for a 500 gallon propane tank. We, too, have multiple cooking alternatives in a SHTF: camp chef (w/separate propane bottles), sun oven, volcano stoves and a wood fired stove up at our barn's outdoor kitchen.
In response to folk's concern for running out of propane or it being hard to get - that's going to be, or at least could be, an issue for every single type of fuel and any electric power regardless of source. So as my daddy always says, you pays your money and you takes your chances! We put our money into propane for our homestead.
We would go into super conservation mode of course should we find ourselves w/o the ability to get more.

Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator
South Carolina State Moderator

Postby anita » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:30 pm

If you'd like to can, be aware that you can't do it on electric glass cooktops. I have a heavy-duty hotplate to can on. It works fine.
anita

Postby Cumberland » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:46 pm

I would keep serval options for cooking. Everyone like this or that. I'm not a fan of electric because of the hassle of grid, however it is very nice to cook on. I bush craft more than anything else so wood is the preferred fuel. I stockpile propane for convenience. I cook with electric at home ( on grid ) and have lost power for days at a time. I guess what I'm getting at is have a back-up for your back-up as far as food prep goes.
Cumberland
Tennessee Preppers Network
Tennessee Preppers Network

Postby Illini Warrior » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:18 am

anita wrote:If you'd like to can, be aware that you can't do it on electric glass cooktops. I have a heavy-duty hotplate to can on. It works fine.

an electric hotplate is perfect for the pressure canner - get it up to preheat and you can regulate the heat output like a watch ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby arkieready » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:44 pm

I wouldn't trade a gas cook top for electric in BEST of times. Just cooks way better
Been through enough power outages to say I'd rather count on clean, quiet propane than a noisy gennie. I will run out gasoline way before propane. Propane keeps better, if I'm not using it.
ymmv
P!

Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.

--Robert Frost--
arkieready
Arkansas Preppers Network
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby dmwalsh568 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:15 am

One thing I haven't seen mentioned here are folks with natural gas stoves piped into the utility system. I have one and I know that's it's not going to work as an oven when the power goes out, even if natural gas keeps flowing because of the safety systems in the stove. The stove top WILL work as long as I can light it manually with a match or lighter. So anybody piped into natural gas should flip a circuit breaker and test their stoves now before a real emergency just so you can be aware of what works and what doesn't...if you're lucky and have an old style non-electric gas oven, I'm jealous!

And I almost have too many ways to cook post-SHTF - solar oven, propane grill, camping stove, Kelly kettle, a few rocket stoves, a few small charcoal grills, and a bunch of cast iron cookware if I have to fall back to campfires. Solar oven will be my go-to whenever the sun is out since it doesn't use a limited fuel source, but I have layered backups just in case....
dmwalsh568

Postby SurvivIt » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:43 pm

Whole house is electric (no gas utility in the area, and opted to not go with having a propane truck coming to the house) with grid-tied Solar with large battery backup. The whole house is on battery backup if necessary, but for the range, the AC/furnace, and the clothes drier, as those 220V beasts will drain the batteries pronto. The well pump is 220V, but is on the battery, as is the fridge.
Small 110V cooktop is in the back of the pantry for if / when needed.
If everything just goes to hell, I've got a rocket stove that I've cooked a great deal on; a limb lopper and woods are 20' outside the door.
The only "gas" I've got is a couple of white gas cookstoves, and a couple of gallons of fuel.
SurvivIt

Postby sageprice » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:21 pm

propane is easy to store and never goes bad. 200 lbs will run a stove for a L-O-N-G time.
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:36 am

We have 2 100 pound tanks will run my kitchen stove for about a year, I love to cook with
propane. We also have an old wood stove at MIL's we could use if we needed to and there is plenty
of wood to be had here. Likely have to install it to heat the house and cook also, but it would
work. Wonder if we should buy and stock up on new stove pipes and damper just in case.

We have 3 generators both gas and diesel but may not be able to get more fuel for them after
awhile. Will have to run them off and on for refrigeration. With no central heating system
eventually basement would be cool enough to keep a lot of foods.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:33 am

Husband got an old gas stove back that FIL used to have and I'm talking old. It's
very very basic but also has a useable oven. Hubby wants to sit it up outside for me
to can on. Need to clean it up and try out the oven.
PatrioticStabilist

Previous

Return to General Food Topics