• Advertisement

August 2017 - What Did YOU Do To Prep this Week/Month?

Preparedness General Discussion

Moderator: medic94

Re: August 2017 - What Did YOU Do To Prep this Week/Month?

Postby IceFire » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:08 pm

stonyman002 wrote:Scored at an estate sale today.

one of those where they open the door and are selling everything in the house. This one was being run by the grandson. While I was in the back porch I noticed a small metal building in the cornor of the back yard all rusted out and the roof caved in. I ask the grandson if there was anything in the back shed? He said he didn't know but we could go look. The first thing we saw was a 4 foot black snake and that city boy about crapped his pants. He said if I wanted anything from that building I had to dig it out my self. I was looking at that stack of mason jar boxes against the back wall and said I'll give you 20.00 for everything in the shed and that way you don't have to deal with the snakes. He said deal... I handed him the money and went to pull my van around back.

22 boxes of jars. pints, quarts and half gallons.
16 Pisces of cast iron. dutch ovens, skillets and griddles.
2 large pressure cookers
a couple of boxes of old kitchen stuff
and other assorted treasures. well treasures to me but to the grandson just a bunch more junk LOL.

Great score!

I did a run to the city (90 miles each way) yesterday (REI, Sam's, Costco, etc.) Got 6 new pair of wool socks and a few things for the "vet box" at REI, and a stockup and replenishment of a few items at Sam's and Costco. It was a long day, so hubby and I had "date night", then hit "the evil empire" (Wal-Mart). They actually had a decent supply of .22LR (they haven't had much in ages!) so got a couple 100-round boxes, plus a box of .380 for my new Kimber. All in all, a productive day.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby NJMike » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:22 pm

Ran around a lot this weekend, but managed to pick up a few items at a flea market, a moving sale, and a thrift shop. Nothing fancy- a WWII era E-Tool, a candle making kit with supplies, tackle box, compact ground pad for hiking, a scope suitable for a .22, a tarp, and a guide book for canoeing NJ rivers.

Harvested more tomatoes and peppers. Tomatoes are all given away. I only had a few plants this year. However, I've got enough jalapeno peppers now to think about canning. I just haven't decided the recipe to use, or whether to ferment or use a hot pack/water bath.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby Blondie » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:36 pm

So is anyone changing their Preps/doing anything different because of the NK rhetoric?

Zerohedge is reporting things are heating up and I'm more concerned.

Thoughts?
Living In A Powder Keg & Giving Off Sparks
Blondie

Postby farmer_dude48 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:08 pm

Wife and I are getting ready to pick all the tomato's green and ripe. They are about done producing for the year. I will dehydrate the green and make juice out of the rest..
" Doing what I can with what I got " Mr. Burt Gummer
farmer_dude48
Indiana Preppers Network
Indiana Preppers Network

Postby NJMike » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:28 pm

Blondie wrote:So is anyone changing their Preps/doing anything different because of the NK rhetoric?

Thoughts?

Keeping my eyes and ears open mostly.

I do hope the war holds off until after my house is sold and the closing. It's supposed to be listed this week.
NJMike

Postby arkieready » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:54 pm

This was last month's prep, but I'm running behind. so, not a prep, but preventive maintenance. Got the old ticker checked out. It still works!! EEG and treadmill. Cardio Doc was happy with results. Much to-do about nothing, family doc was concerned about excess noise in heart and lungs...... I ran out of BP and diuretic meds is all, and bloated like a toad.
P!

Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.

--Robert Frost--
arkieready
Arkansas Preppers Network
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby ajax727 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:22 pm

Blondie wrote:So is anyone changing their Preps/doing anything different because of the NK rhetoric?

Thoughts?

I will agree things are getting hotter , Trump I think want back down and the little fat boy thinks he can take on the world . Like all dictators they do not give a rat ace about the people in there country he will be safe hiding in a underground bunker . South Korea and Japan will catch the blunt of the attack and there is a chance we could get hit as well . We just need for Kim to strike first or make it look like he starts it . China and Russia could side with NK if it benefits them and in the long term it could . There are a few more hot spots like Turkey and India just to name two .
I have not changed my preps much just going over all things and making sure we can hold on for a longer time frame if need be . Added a few more long term food items and short term food items . Get the popcorn ready the big show could start in a blink .
To see things as they are not as they want you to see them .. With the stroke of a pen all you rights and freedom can end ...
ajax727

Postby rickdun » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:47 am

Ordered and received through Walmart, (Augason Farms) 2 cases of chicken TVP to stretch the freeze dried chicken we have now. Packed another 40 lb of navy beans and rice. Picked up 500 rds of .22, 500 rounds of 7.62X39 ammo and 100 rds of 00 buck.

Went to city flea market sunday and picked up some various bits for my brace and another two man crosscut saw. Haven't had a ripe tomato yet from our garden, been picking beans, peppers and cucumbers, wife's making pickles.

As far as stepping up my preps due to the NK threat, a little, we have enough for about 3 years stored of food and about a year's worth of meds and antibiotics. We didn't really need the walmart order, but it was on sale and every little bit helps.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby Genevieve » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:38 am

Just added more cleaning products this week. Bought more fels naptha, bleach tabs and borax.
Bought bath soap, shampoo, both baby and medicated powder and more razors for us
BLOG LINK ORDERED REMOVED

apparently I have a "potty" mouth. I'm rolling my eyes at that. What are we 6 years old? Or are we in kindergarten? geesh
Genevieve
West Virginia Preppers Network
West Virginia Preppers Network

Postby Cin » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:25 pm

Husband and I are visiting one of the kids, helping to unpack and move in.

Stocked up on water as best we could with this little apartment. I see what apartment dwellers go through, now! Yikes. Right now, a crate is filled with 4 gallons, and another gallon is tucked away. Not much, but better than nothing. There's also individual bottles of water and Gatorade.

Kid has a GOOD bag always packed, including MREs and a couple bricks of Datrex (sp?) inside. There are other essentials in the car to make a run for it if necessary (tent, sleeping bag, cooking utensils, firestarters, etc).

Didn't know this, but the kid developed a secret code with another sibling in case of emergency and gave us the secret sentences for various scenarios.

I've made a bunch of meals and packed them in the freezer, but beyond that, there's not a lot to do, as kid already has prepped quite a bit.
Cin

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:48 pm

We have a lot of food back but it wouldn't last all that long if we couldn't add more.
So disappointed in my garden this year.

Not prepping, but I bought a bunch of school supplies and donated them, pencils, paper,
notebook, glue, etc. Will look at the Dollar Store and places and see the best buy and
get more.

We are fine, in a good place, and ok for now. But I am worried about everything.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:09 am

I am going to can green sliced tomatoes.
Then going to get more peaches and apples
and dehydrate them.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby ForwardPreppers » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:39 pm

August is usually a slower prep month as we concentrate on canning or the fall garden.
The wild grapes are coming in so I canned some juice using a quick method I found on the Internet. Just uses a cup of grapes, 1/4 c sugar and boiling water per quart jar. Processed in WBC for 20 minutes. They need to set for at least a month or longer. I did 3 quarts yesterday because that's all I was able to pick that was ripe. Our cultivated grapes aren't ready yet but boy we have a bumper crop this year!
We welcomed our first grandchildren Monday - twin girls! While in the big city, grabbed a few deals to add children's toothpaste and brushes to our stockpile. Gotta start thinking about those items now. We haven't prepped any baby/kid items.
Costco trip today to add and replenish- honey, maple syrup, PB, canned chicken/tuna, jarred peaches, dried blueberries and jerky.
With all the NoKo stuff we had to plan our pantry with a week or two indoors without access to our barn. Trying to figure out how best to deal with the dogs should this become needed.

Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator
South Carolina State Moderator

Postby NJMike » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:02 pm

The house is listed and hoping that sells soon. <fingers crossed>

Did just some small stuff this weekend at my interim place.

Repaired my old bike with new tubes and tires. It's ready to ride now if I need it.

Took advantage of a battery sale to buy more AAA and AA (thanks Ready Mom for the heads up!).

Pulled some 5 gallon food buckets (mostly rice) out of storage to add to what's on hand. I've got plenty of food, but for others I want more on hand.

Went through my storage bins to get some of my incremental purchases put in their proper place. The bins are separated by category (first aid, PPE, camping, fuel, etc.). I identified a few CBRN protective items I could use a few more of. Going to go price shopping for deals.
NJMike

Postby angie_nrs » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:38 pm

Ordered some stuff online that was in my cart. Finally pulled the trigger on it as it's been sitting in the cart for a while now....mostly books.

Added some TP, batteries, tinfoil, salt & pepper, tylenol, and other things to restock what we have used and to add a bit more to what we haven't. Also added 10 gallons of water to the basement along with some other necessities should we need to shelter there for a few days for any reason. :whistling:

I've been reading up on nuclear attack and what to do in the event of one. I guess I'm a sheeple in this area since I really haven't prepared for this scenario. I just thought I was toast in such an event, especially since I don't have a bunker, but am finding it not to be the case if you can avoid fallout, which I think we could possibly do in our location. So, I've been moving some things to the basement and trying to put more thought into preparing for that type of scenario. :eek: You know, even though I feel like I am so much more prepared than most....I feel like a complete nubie with this. At least I don't have to go and purchase a lot of stuff.....I just have to get it more concentrated in one place. Still, it's a lot of planning and a lot of running up and down the stairs! Plus, I still have more learning/reading to do on the subject.

Here's a link to the article that someone posted on another site that I found very interesting and really got me thinking in this direction:
http://www.ki4u.com/guide.htm
I'm so glad it offered a PDF version.....I printed it off today and will add this to my library after I'm completely done reading it.
angie_nrs

PreviousNext

Return to General Preparedness Discussion