• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

Well, are you stocking up??

Post general California topics here

Re: Well, are you stocking up??

Postby anita » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:04 pm

I'm going the opposite direction! My house is under agreement and have an agreement on another house, so trying to use up as much as possible.

Hoping nothing happens for a year or more, to give me time to get up to speed again. (Or whatever is going to happen happens before the first of October, when the move is scheduled to happen.)
anita

Postby 3ADScout » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:10 pm

I was waiting until September to do the gas exchange and restock but I might not wait now.
Read an article about NK and it suggested that we pay VERY CLOSE ATTENTION to the chemical and biological weapons stockpiles of NK. These stocks make it harder to plan military action since if we focus on nukes NK can just resort to Chem/Bio. Baically there are a lot of targets to hit if we don't want to be hit by WMDs.
3ADScout

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:23 pm

I seriously worried they were sending some chemical stuff up with those rocket launches and
wondered if that was what was making grandson so sick. Son and DIL had been sick too.

12 miles from that mess was to close for civilians to be living. I'm scared to death what can
happen, the nut shoots off something and we respond, where does it end. Lots of other
countries may join in. There is no good way to put this genie back in the bottle once released.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby daaswampman » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:25 pm

I am about as stocked as I can get, but am always looking for bargains or a good excuse. Personally I think it is all BS with NPRK as they have been posturing for decades and absolutely nothing has happened except bigger and bolder threats.

I am glad we have a leader who would blow their a** off the map, should they actually do something stupid! The precious wimp in the White House would have found a way to blame us and then apologized! We are living with this problem, because our previous leaders did not have the balls to stand up to this pimple on the worlds butt. Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby anita » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:25 am

daaswampman wrote:
I am glad we have a leader who would blow their a** off the map, should they actually do something stupid! The precious wimp in the White House would have found a way to blame us and then apologized! We are living with this problem, because our previous leaders did not have the balls to stand up to this pimple on the worlds butt. Swamp

You've got that right!
anita

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:53 am

daaswampman wrote:I am about as stocked as I can get, but am always looking for bargains or a good excuse. Personally I think it is all BS with NPRK as they have been posturing for decades and absolutely nothing has happened except bigger and bolder threats.

Hear, Hear Swamp... :thumbsup:
Preparation through education is less costly than learning through tragedy.
-- Max Mayfield

If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe.
-- Abraham Lincoln
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby sageprice » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:49 pm

Just buying like normal and rotating stock
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network

Postby ForwardPreppers » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:25 pm

I did make a small trip to WM to restock a couple normal pantry items. Today hubs said he could see my concern and offered to drive me to Costco and Aldi just over an hour away. We restocked some canned items we had rotated out of our normal storage like fruit, chicken and tuna. Other than that we aren't doing any other major stocking up. Hubs feels like we are pretty set. Oh, we did order potassium iodide tablets - something that we've never prepped before. Just a precaution.
Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator

Postby somuchtodo » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:56 pm

Can you tell me where you got the pills. I need/want to get some but I don't have a clue where to get them.
somuchtodo

Postby ReadyMom » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:08 pm

Stocked up on batteries when I found a good sale. Considering getting another batch.
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby anita » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:21 pm

somuchtodo wrote:Can you tell me where you got the pills. I need/want to get some but I don't have a clue where to get them.

I got mine from Emergency Essentials. Online. Years ago. I wonder how long they last?
anita

Postby daaswampman » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:34 pm

There are other and better choices than iodine pills! Here are two articles that are worth reading.

http://drsircus.com/iodine/iodine-treat ... -exposure/

http://www.migrelief.com/an-iodine-alte ... ion-levels

[snip]

In an emergency, if no more KI tablets available, you can topically (on the skin) apply an iodine solution, like tincture of iodine or Betadine, for a similar protective effect (WARNING: Iodine is NEVER to be ingested or swallowed and is poison to drink). For adults, paint 8 ml of a 2 percent tincture of Iodine on the abdomen or forearm each day, ideally at least 2 hours prior to initial exposure. For children 3 to 18, but under 150 pounds, only half that amount painted on daily, or 4 ml. For children under 3 but older than a month, half again, or 2 ml. For newborns to 1 month old, half it again, or just 1 ml (one measuring teaspoon is about 5 ml, if you don’t have a medicine dropper graduated in ml). If your iodine solution is stronger than 2%, reduce the dosage accordingly. Absorption through the skin is not as exact a dosing method as using the tablets, but tests show that it will still be very effective for most. Do not use if allergic to iodine. There are also a few other medical conditions and medications that are contraindicated that your physician can best advise you about.

Inquire with your doctor NOW if there is any reason why anybody in your household should not use Potassium Iodide (KI), or iodine solutions topically applied on their skin, in a future nuclear emergency, just to be sure. (The preceding paragraph was taken from the ki4u.com website).
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman

Postby ReadyMom » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:20 pm

This is the first that I've ever read about this, Swamp. So ... do you paint it on, like a patch? -k
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby ForwardPreppers » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:59 pm

We bought our KI pills from Amazon. They typically have a 6-7 year shelf life. If you receive older pills their expiry will be shorter - just like any other med. hubs said some drug stores may carry them.
Daisy Luther at Organic Prepper has a good article today about potassium iodide- she has some printable instructions. Very good info.

Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers

Postby ForwardPreppers » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:01 pm

Also, it would be wise to consult your physician about possible side effects of KI pills before they are needed.

Mrs FP
ForwardPreppers

PreviousNext

Return to General California Discussion, News and Weather