• Advertisement

Need advice on storing ammo

Topics about guns

Re: Need advice on storing ammo

Postby angie_nrs » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:33 pm

Thanks for the comments everyone! I may have been overthinking this one a bit. I'm going to grab some ammo cans and diversify my storage. I'm sure I've got ammo stored that will outlast me......at least I hope so. I guess my main concerns should be theft, water, and fire. Storing ammo in different places and in different types of containers should mitigate these concerns, so that's my plan.

If nothing else at least it's a good investment as the price is going nowhere but up. I also think there's a day coming in the not so distant future where all ammo purchases will have to be logged or registered. I'm stocking up now while it's still legal and cash is still king.
angie_nrs
 
Posts: 850
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:00 pm
Karma: 53

Re: Need advice on storing ammo

Postby Photon Guy » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:24 pm

angie_nrs wrote:Thanks for the comments everyone! I may have been overthinking this one a bit. I'm going to grab some ammo cans and diversify my storage. I'm sure I've got ammo stored that will outlast me......at least I hope so. I guess my main concerns should be theft, water, and fire. Storing ammo in different places and in different types of containers should mitigate these concerns, so that's my plan.

If nothing else at least it's a good investment as the price is going nowhere but up. I also think there's a day coming in the not so distant future where all ammo purchases will have to be logged or registered. I'm stocking up now while it's still legal and cash is still king.


Good for you in getting the ammo cans, I doubt you will regret it. The ammo cans work just fine for me and as I said before you can use them to store ammo indefinitely. As for theft, water, and fire, if you've got the money you could buy a high quality safe and use it to store not just ammo but guns as well as the safes are designed primarily for storing guns but can obviously be used to store ammo too and just about anything else you want to keep safe, jewelry, important documents, ect. I've got a liberty safe myself. You want to do your research before buying a safe if you plan to do that, find the one that's the best for your money, that's the hardest to break into and that has the highest fire rating. As for water, if your area is prone to flooding Im afraid the safes aren't watertight. Safes will even collect moisture inside so its a good idea to get one of those small dehumidifiers that you can put in the safe. Keep up the good work.
Photon Guy
 
Posts: 1644
Joined: Wed May 07, 2014 1:53 am
Karma: 6

Re: Need advice on storing ammo

Postby ReadyMom » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:25 am

So ... Coincidentally, as this thread is in discussion, this week, I was at my 86 y/o dad's house. Sorting every room, in preparation to downsize him from our family home. I came across this box of ammo. Do I save? Is it safe? I found it just sitting on his closet shelf! Circa mid 1960's:
image-54701.jpeg
image-54709.jpeg
image-54695.jpeg
image-54688.jpeg
image-54673.jpeg
image-54682.jpeg
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
User avatar
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 9106
Images: 0
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:58 am
Location: Pennsylvania
Karma: 251

Re: Need advice on storing ammo

Postby handyman777 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:48 am

I'll buy them from you RM !!! They will (probably-maybe) shoot OK, but they are more of a collector item. To bad the main box is damaged.
handyman777
Michigan Preppers Network
Michigan Preppers Network
 
Posts: 431
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:40 am
Karma: 13

Re: Need advice on storing ammo

Postby TRex2 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:10 pm

angie_nrs wrote:Do I need to buy ammo cans for proper ammo storage or can I use food buckets? There are cheap plastic plano ammo cans at WM for around $5, but I can get food grade buckets free. Right now I store ammo in the house where it is dry, but I want to expand where I store ammo. The temperature may not be as steady in my secondary spot, possibly causing condensation issues.

I know I couldn't fill the buckets b/c they would be way too heavy, even with the smaller 2 gallon buckets, but at least they would be hidden from plain sight. I'm thinking it would make sense to put the silica packs in with the buckets?

I didn't see a thread specifically addressing ammo storage so I thought this would be a good discussion to have. Let's discuss......
As far as keeping the ammo from condensation, the buckets should work fine. As far as the temperature, as long as the temperature in the buckets doesn't exceed 130 Fahrenheit or get cold enough to condense moisture in the bucket it will be fine (you might want to add one of those desiccant packs).

As for a reason you might want to use the metal cans instead of the buckets is this: ammo tends to self ignite (cook off) around 270 degrees (or higher), and if there is a fire, the metal cans give a margin of safety that they buckets do not. That, ease of transport, and making it easy for you to remember where your ammo is are the only reasons I can think of.
Calling Islam a religion isn't much different than calling Nazism or Communism a religion.
Both were also political movements with a religious component, just like Islam.
TRex2
 
Posts: 367
Images: 0
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:14 pm
Location: Central Texas
Karma: 7

Re: Need advice on storing ammo

Postby Photon Guy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:13 pm

TRex2 wrote:As far as keeping the ammo from condensation, the buckets should work fine. As far as the temperature, as long as the temperature in the buckets doesn't exceed 130 Fahrenheit or get cold enough to condense moisture in the bucket it will be fine (you might want to add one of those desiccant packs).

As for a reason you might want to use the metal cans instead of the buckets is this: ammo tends to self ignite (cook off) around 270 degrees (or higher), and if there is a fire, the metal cans give a margin of safety that they buckets do not. That, ease of transport, and making it easy for you to remember where your ammo is are the only reasons I can think of.


Ease of transport and ease of storage are good reasons for using the metal cans instead of buckets. Aside from that, metal cans are definitely better for long term storage.
Photon Guy
 
Posts: 1644
Joined: Wed May 07, 2014 1:53 am
Karma: 6

Re: Need advice on storing ammo

Postby Captain belly » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:12 pm

I bought ammo cans from a surplus store and they fit PERFECT in a filing cabinet that I bought from a surplus store. I also welded a nice locking mechanism for the filing cabinet.
Captain belly
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:00 pm
Karma: 0

Re: Need advice on storing ammo

Postby John Galt 1 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:31 pm

Something to conceder. If your home ever burns and the ammo starts cooking off the fire department is not going to work to hard to save your home. What ammo that doesn't fit in the fire resistant gun safe along with my reloading powders is stored in a steel work site box in a metal shed.

I also keep all propane and gas cans away from the house.
Talk is cheap, actions count.
John Galt 1
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:43 am
Location: GA
Karma: 0

Re: Need advice on storing ammo

Postby Illini Warrior » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:06 pm

a plus for using buckets is that if you are dispersing your ammo supply - a bucket with a gamma lid will give you quik access and will blend in nicely with the rest of your bucketed long term food storage and other bucket protected gear ....
Illini Warrior
User avatar
Illini Warrior
 
Posts: 2608
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:40 pm
Karma: 54

Re: Need advice on storing ammo

Postby Cast Iron » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:22 pm

Illini Warrior wrote:a plus for using buckets is that if you are dispersing your ammo supply - a bucket with a gamma lid will give you quik access and will blend in nicely with the rest of your bucketed long term food storage and other bucket protected gear ....


Label them
BEANS+
??


I look at it this way, a 5gal bucket is more multi-purpose than a ammo can.
You can sit on one.
Ferment apples to make hard cider.
You can haul water/or nearly anything else.
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
User avatar
Cast Iron
 
Posts: 1017
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:02 am
Karma: 13

Re: Need advice on storing ammo

Postby straightshooter » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:50 pm

Repackbox.com is a good source for new, mil-spec ammo cans. Fresh gaskets and tight seals on the lids, not rusted or dented. Their cans really are brand spankin' new. But not cheap. I think I paid about $16 each with shipping when I bought my last case of 'em.
User avatar
straightshooter
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:30 am
Location: WY
Karma: 2

Re: Need advice on storing ammo

Postby Cast Iron » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:11 pm

a 5gal bucket with lid is about $5.
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
User avatar
Cast Iron
 
Posts: 1017
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:02 am
Karma: 13

Re: Need advice on storing ammo

Postby Illini Warrior » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:14 pm

Cast Iron wrote:
Illini Warrior wrote:a plus for using buckets is that if you are dispersing your ammo supply - a bucket with a gamma lid will give you quik access and will blend in nicely with the rest of your bucketed long term food storage and other bucket protected gear ....


Label them
BEANS+
??


I look at it this way, a 5gal bucket is more multi-purpose than a ammo can.
You can sit on one.
Ferment apples to make hard cider.
You can haul water/or nearly anything else.



you "code" label them so it's not soooo obvious to anyone else that happens to see your cache(s) - a good many of my buckets are used and have old product label on them ... I recommend if your going to hide an ammo cache or other valuables you use an old paint bucket or disguise a new one - mix it in with your home maintenance & tools ....
Illini Warrior
User avatar
Illini Warrior
 
Posts: 2608
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:40 pm
Karma: 54

Previous

Return to Guns

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


Email Newsletter icon, E-mail Newsletter icon, Email List icon, E-mail List icon Sign up for the APN Email Newsletter - Enter your e-mail address below


  Links and Resources
  -Links
  -Podcasts
  -Free Ebooks



Trusted Sponsors









Copyright
For Notices of Copyright infringement and to contact our DMCA Agent please follow the link below:
Copyright Policy

For terms of use, rules, and policies please read our Disclaimer