• Advertisement

The Biggest Threat

Got a suggestion, idea? Tell us about it.

The Biggest Threat

Postby rememberpearl123 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:39 am

I am reading some of these posts and realizing that maybe the bigger threat is not you not prepping enough it is everyone else that does absolutely nothing to prep and then those people fighting you to the death for your food to avoid starvation. Will your food be taken in marshall law and spread out among all the people who did nothing to prep..saving you all for months when you may need to survive a year? What is to stop mobs of thousands rolling into town and stealing the food they took for your communal stash leaving you to starve? What is to stop an EMP from turning your very own neighbors from turning into the worst enemies fighting over food? Do we have any ways to emergency feed an entire county and even scarier do we have any ways to stop an EMP?
rememberpearl123

Re: The Biggest Threat

Postby casualprepper » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:40 pm

I mean a Faraday cage will theoretically protect devices from an EMP but feeding an entire population, even locally, would be extremely difficult. I would say gardens would be the best way because everyone can have one. You cannot predict the mindset of people so prepare for the worst and expect the best. People don't take preparation seriously so as long as you are able to protect what you have from those who want it you should be alright.
casualprepper

Postby Illini Warrior » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:05 pm

rememberpearl123 wrote:I am reading some of these posts and realizing that maybe the bigger threat is not you not prepping enough it is everyone else that does absolutely nothing to prep and then those people fighting you to the death for your food to avoid starvation. Will your food be taken in marshall law and spread out among all the people who did nothing to prep..saving you all for months when you may need to survive a year? What is to stop mobs of thousands rolling into town and stealing the food they took for your communal stash leaving you to starve? What is to stop an EMP from turning your very own neighbors from turning into the worst enemies fighting over food? Do we have any ways to emergency feed an entire county and even scarier do we have any ways to stop an EMP?

the word is OPSEC - Operational Secrecy ... if you don't get anything else correct as a newbie - appreciate the fact that very few will understand your prepping and most likely ridicule you - best off keeping prepping to yourself and practice OPSEC to the max ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby rickdun » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:01 pm

First off, welcome to the APN.

What Illini Warrior said !!!! A slip of the lip will sink a ship. The less people, including family and friends, that know you're storing items the better off you'll be.

When buying extra food and somebody asks what you're going to do with it, tell them your church is having a family gathering or you feel bad for the poor and you're giving it to the local food bank or there's a family you know that fell on hard times and you're helping them out, etc..

Once I was at the dollar store and had a $5.00 off coupon if I spent $25.00, so I bought $25.00 worth of coffee filters to filter water. The young cashier asked me what the heck were all those coffee filters were for and I told her that they were cheaper then toilet paper.

A lot depends on where you live, I live on a farm, no close neighbors, so nobody to spy on me.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby John Galt 1 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:08 pm

The biggest threat will change from time to time but OPSEC will always help. Fortunately I live in a semi-rural area with neighbors (within a mile) that I 90% trust to watch my back and be more interested in trade than theft. City folk must me much more circumspect when discussing their opinions and what they may have.

Currently the biggest threat for me would be a NK EMP nuke.
Talk is cheap, actions count.
John Galt 1

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:50 pm

If things fail, don't think there will be enough organization to come and take foods etc.
You might have gangs trying to give the impression they are from the government in
cities but in our rural areas no.

We just don't have enough to hold us for too awful long. Once there is no stores it will
be reduced rations and when you run out, may not be able to restock.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby daaswampman » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:29 pm

I am not a believer in the "Golden Hoard" myth. The real threat is everyone you know! Do you think your local authorities or neighbors would let their children starve? The only real answer is OPSEC - Operational Secrecy, including close friends and family. Anyone who would tell you they have this or that, is not anyone you want to know!

I suggest a diversion! I am a huge advocate of storm preparation and teach a local class now and them. My real efforts are another matter. You should also practice OPSEC with your knowledge. If it all goes to hell - would you want everyone to know you have foraging or medical skills? Great way to get dead in a hurry! Don't Ask - Don't Tell - could keep you alive! Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby XxBiohazard78xX » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:55 am

I think we should keep our preps secret and let only close friends and family know but also try to in whatever way we can, educate our community. They could then possibly forage and gather food for themselves instead of focusing on you. Also I think that being a leading community member could also help especially if you have the knowledge to create a self sustaining camp. Personally I would keep my preps secret but try to get able bodied people on my side. It all depends on your preferences and skills, it's always good to stay a step ahead of everyone though.
Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.
XxBiohazard78xX

Postby Illini Warrior » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:11 am

just popped up today - fits well with advising the newbies ....

http://www.survivopedia.com/9-ways-to-c ... stockpile/
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby rememberpearl123 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:19 pm

you guys rock I am so happy I found this site
rememberpearl123

Postby rememberpearl123 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:31 pm

The people I have spoken to I did so with the concept that the more people who prep the better for all and less threat to me and my family. Sadly you get ridiculed a lot and it has been very stressful because almost everyone that gets a vibe for what you are doing is either arrogant or thinks you are nuts..These same people will be bullying you out of your food or other supplies if we get an EMP..it makes me sick that people can't even be bothered to pick up some bags of rice or beans..extra water etc... if the president would just get on the TV and say hey EMP threat is real everyone stock up now..We could save many millions of lives possibly..We can't restock shelves after an EMP but we can stock them before an EMP
rememberpearl123

Postby apache235 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:46 am

As for feeding the whole population - not going to happen. I've heard estimates that 70 to 90% will die of starvation, murder and disease in the first year of a real SHTF situation. But the government has 100 million MRE's stored up you say, great, that feeds 1/3 of the country for breakfast. If ANYONE comes for your stuff, they are trying to kill you, whether they say so or not, it doesn't matter. OPSEC is prime.
apache235

Postby 3ADScout » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:44 pm

daaswampman wrote:I am not a believer in the "Golden Hoard" myth.

If you look at shelter usage (Red Cross statistics) about only 5% of the impacted population will use a public shelter. Why does this matter to preppers? Well ask yourself where the other 95% of those impacted by a disaster go? Family, friend is the most common answer. But another big answer is they don't go anywhere. They stay home. These numbers will surely change depend upon the hazard. So if someone's house is under water from a flood they will not be staying home. BUT if it is an ice storm or a buzzard and the home is intact but the electric is out people will over welmingly stay put.

So if the grid is down from EMP, Geomagnetic storm or cyber attack on the grid and people's home are intact I believe they will pretty much stay put. If it is a nuclear blast and their home is completely destroyed they will start walking.

So how long will people stay put? Well we know that non-preppers suffer from normalcy bias, optimism, and other psychological patterns that will make them believe that either things will return back to normal soon or that help is on its way. They will also want to protect what they have and just walking away from that 62" screen TV, the house and everything else won't be easy for them to do even if they are hungry. They will go look for food but they won't be walking outside the normal sphere. That is if their normal grocery store is 3 mile away they will walk that 3 miles. When SHTF and people are faced with the abnormal they will cling to anything left that is normal and hence comforting. By the time many of them come around to realizing the harsh reality of an EMP/grid down situation they will be weak and walking far enough out to hit an area that hasn't been stripped of resources will take a long time in which they probably will die from starvation, hunger, disease or exposure. This is not to say there won't be people who start heading out of big cities by foot. But they will head to something near by like grandma's house. Your next door neighbor's will be your main threat- I agree- let them hear your generator, see lights, smell food cooking or perhaps see your garbage and/or notice you are not loosing weight. Perhaps they see you have rain barrels, put plywood over your windows and oh let's not forget the garden you have every year. Surely you canned most of it since you give me a few jars each year.

I bought a BOL and my neighbor is Mennonite. He is prepping for SHTF? Nope that is just normal life for him and his family. Talking to your neighbor's about prepping is a double edge sword- if you talk to them and the don't prep they will know you do. But at the same time if you never say anything they more than likely won't prep and WIlL come to you sooner or later.
3ADScout

Postby casualprepper » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:18 am

Has anyone seen the report of the U.S. Military testing an EMP simulation across the entire country? Apparently it will not affect civilians and such but it is still something to watch out for. November 4th-6th is the supposed testing date for the simulation.
casualprepper

Postby Illini Warrior » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:36 am

casualprepper wrote:Has anyone seen the report of the U.S. Military testing an EMP simulation across the entire country? Apparently it will not affect civilians and such but it is still something to watch out for. November 4th-6th is the supposed testing date for the simulation.

the military MARS and the organized emergency hams are using a grid down scenario tomorrow in their day of prep - nothing you'll notice
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Return to Suggestions