• Advertisement

Hunting Without Being Hunted .....

General hunting topics

Hunting Without Being Hunted .....

Postby Illini Warrior » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:47 am

fairly good article on a hunting topic that doesn't receive near enough prepper attention - small game hunting uber quiet style ....

https://survivalblog.com/acquiring-smal ... more-50910

chek back >>>> could be a Part 2 posted tomorrow ....

Here's PART 2 that was mentioned >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

https://survivalblog.com/acquiring-smal ... art-2-s-d/
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Re: Hunting Without Being Hunted .....

Postby Cast Iron » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:29 am

which creates some major recoil when the shot is fired.

Major recoil?

I question this guys knowledge and ability with a pellet rifle.
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Postby Cast Iron » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:18 am

A few additional points the author fails to mention:

Spring/gas piston rated scopes. The motion of the spring/gas piston in the opposite direction of traditional centerfire rifles can wreck scopes not rated for spring/gas piston rifles.

There is a sub category to "break barrel," and that is Underleaver. They are generally, but not always, considered to be more accurate as the barrel is fixed and the cocking mechanism is located under the barrel.

Barrel Droop, is not uncommon with break barrel rifles, and may require a special optic mount.
I went through this.

The special position the author refers to, but does not name, is called the artillery hold.
An article on the topic can be found here: https://www.pyramydair.com/article/The_ ... ne_2009/63
There are many good articles on that web site.

Air rifles can be just as picky about what kind of ammunition they prefer as centerfire rifles. There are a number of different pellet diameter heads available. Some rifles will prefer one diameter better or more accurate than another, even if the other is "match."

There are different pellet types out there: Wadcutters, domes, hollow points, even those with a poly-tip.

Calibers: The author makes a vague mention of calibers but fails to mention the sound/loudness factor.
Many rifles are now feature a suppressor or the like. But as you get larger in caliber (usually above the .30, 0mm/.357, .45 .50) they get louder, even with a built in suppresor. As in, earing protection is recommended.
My break barrel in .22 is louder than my PCP in .22. Once I tuned my .22, it was even quieter, the sound of the pellet hitting the metallic target making more noise.

A note on tuning: Most pellet rifles can be "tuned." That is, the amount of air, the force of the hammer striking the poppet, and another dozen or so mods that can be done, can adjust the FPS/Ft Lbs of each shot. Want more shots per fill? Ok. But there is a trade off, less FPS/energy. Want more FPS/energy, reduced shots per fill.
My current tune on my Benjamin Marauder in .22 I get 30 good mid 800FPS shots, using a 18.13grns JSB pellets.

Just some notes off the top of my head.
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Postby Cast Iron » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:30 am

I likely do not have to mentioned it, but I will anyways, does not matter if you have a custom built Remington 700, a fully tricked out AR15, or a Olympic grade air rifle, if you do not have mastery of the fundamentals of shooting, and can not hit what it is you are aiming for, that rifle will not imbue you with those skills.
Cast Iron

Postby John Galt 1 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:20 pm

Air rifles can be a nice choice but I prefer snares and traps. Also while expensive a 30 caliber suppressor will allow you to take deer sized game at 100 yds and is about as loud as a BB gun.
Talk is cheap, actions count.
John Galt 1

Postby Cast Iron » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:00 am

Part 2 did not add much information concerning pellet rifles.
Cast Iron

Return to Hunting