• Advertisement

What disaster/emergency do you prep for?

Preparedness General Discussion

Moderator: medic94

What disaster/emergency do you prep for?

Postby Flightnurse1 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:33 pm

Hey all, just a curious question on what worries you the most. I prep for a pandemic of bird flu or plague (I'm medical so this concerns me), cyber attack on our grid, and solar flare. How bout you?
Flightnurse1

Re: What disaster/emergency do you prep for?

Postby IceFire » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:02 pm

I prep more for the general "stuff" happens. Which, in my area means wildfire (MOST common situation here), flooding (we get flash floods every monsoon season), economic, medical, disruptions to our food production/distribution system, grid down, you name it.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby ForwardPreppers » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:18 pm

We are general purpose Preppers as well. Weather is probably our #1 - we have had hurricanes, severe thunderstorms, heavy rains, snow, ice and extremely low for our area temps. Economic would probably be 2nd - job loss, recession, inflation or collapse.
Pandemic, nuclear EMP or attack and then the ever popular Zombie Apocalypse :rofl: :rofl:

Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator

Postby Blondie » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:07 pm

Economic to include food and housing security. Been thru so much kwap in my lifetime I feel worn out on the issue.

Safety/security. Personal and property.

Zombies are overrated.
Living In A Powder Keg & Giving Off Sparks
Blondie

Postby danthman114 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:56 am

Alittle bit of everything I guess. It's kinda foolish to just prep for 1 thing.
danthman114

Postby Cin » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:41 am

Ordinary day to day disasters. Every single place we've lived has had some kind of disaster that kept us from having easy access to the infrastructure for a time (anywhere from 2 days to months).

To be fair, Husband was Navy. We were all over the world, mostly in areas by the ocean, but some inland, too. So islands that had typhoons, places where earthquakes, flooding and mudslides were common, hurricanes, tornadoes, snow, and ice.

We started prepping back then, and have never stopped. It has come in handy so many times, it's astounding.

When the earthquakes and mudslides took out two major highways and food was flown in to our little burg, costing twice as much, Husband and I ate well from our food stores.

When multiple typhoons took out the grid for nearly three months and a port strike kept ships away, I cooked all meals on our BBQ, learned to make clothes for my kids, learned to be prepared for our 2 hours of electricity a day (hand-fill washer, have something ready to sew on the machine, etc).

When hurricane Elena took out the grid for a week, I had plenty. We cooked on the BBQ, breakfast, lunch and dinner, even taught the neighbors - we all banded together to eat in my driveway at dinner time - cleaning out freezers so food wouldn't spoil. The men established an impromptu neighborhood watch, and patrolled at night.

When the snow-pocalypse happened, and the kids were out of school for a month in 2 different years, I had plenty of food, and heat - in fact, the neighbor kids would stay at our house all day because it was warm, so I was feeding multiple kids too. The power only went out a few times but most people couldn't afford to heat their whole houses. We had a coal stove and 3 tons of coal in the basement.

Here, we've actually had a lot of stability - the power has only gone out a few times, and never more than 2 days. We have backup heat, water, and power. In fact, this is the most prepared we've been because in all the other instances, we had to rely on city water, and occasionally, city heat. Here, although we've owned the gennie for over 5 years, it's never been turned on except for maintenance.

That said, here, we've had times where we couldn't get our of our driveway due to ice. At one point, we were housebound for nearly 3 weeks. It wasn't a problem. We had food, water, warmth, light, and entertainment. The only ones not thrilled were the animals - no running about the acreage to play. They're adaptable, however, so once the ice melted, they were back outside enjoying the life.

So we prep for common daily problems and weather...and for the zombie apocalypse, because you never know... :rofl:
Cin

Postby ForwardPreppers » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:10 am

Cin, I think those of us who either grew up military or had a military spouse (I was both) got to see the world and experience different cultures and disasters. I feel like that experience helped me in so many ways.

Not sure if we experienced the same hurricane Elena but I was a senior in HS in Gulfport MS. My house was without power for 10 days, friends nearby got it back in 5 days but I remember it well. My recollection of hurricanes was how dang hot it was after one hit! Omg

Adaptability is a true skill to have that will save many lives.

Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers

Postby dmwalsh568 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:32 am

Another generalist here....

Once you have the basic preps you're good to go for most emergencies and just a few additions can fill out any gaps for less likely emergencies.

Having two years of food, 30 day water storage (plus water filtration for years beyond that), basic medical preps, multiple ways to cook off grid, etc. is a great start.

For pandemic preparedness, I bought a full face shield, some Tyvek suits, and a handheld pump sprayer for disinfection when Ebola was rampaging through Africa. I already had bleach powder preps (the pool shock, chemical gloves and apron) for water filtration, but the same bleach for water filtration can be used as a disinfecting spray.

For nuclear events I added civil defense meters, both high and low range, plus dosimeters and dosimeter chargers. Also added KI pills. Already have the supplies to reinforce a corner of the basement against fallout, but that's mainly books for floor above that corner, and water storage and canned goods to reinforce the walls already built around the corner I've chosen. Only had to buy the radiological gear and the pills. Well that plus another faraday cage trash can just for the radiological gear plus a radio and flashlight. Already had Steno camping stove and some cans of Sterno, but I did add some more cans so I can heat food for about a month without going outside the shelter when it started to get real with NK.

Basically, I watch the news and read the prepper forums for possible new threats and think through what I need to supplement what I already have on hand. That and rotating out items that expire. Yum, canned soup for lunch, still tasty despite "expiring" in 2015. :evil:
dmwalsh568

Postby Illini Warrior » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:35 pm

dmwalsh568 wrote:Another generalist here....

Once you have the basic preps you're good to go for most emergencies and just a few additions can fill out any gaps for less likely emergencies.

Having two years of food, 30 day water storage (plus water filtration for years beyond that), basic medical preps, multiple ways to cook off grid, etc. is a great start.

For pandemic preparedness, I bought a full face shield, some Tyvek suits, and a handheld pump sprayer for disinfection when Ebola was rampaging through Africa. I already had bleach powder preps (the pool shock, chemical gloves and apron) for water filtration, but the same bleach for water filtration can be used as a disinfecting spray.

For nuclear events I added civil defense meters, both high and low range, plus dosimeters and dosimeter chargers. Also added KI pills. Already have the supplies to reinforce a corner of the basement against fallout, but that's mainly books for floor above that corner, and water storage and canned goods to reinforce the walls already built around the corner I've chosen. Only had to buy the radiological gear and the pills. Well that plus another faraday cage trash can just for the radiological gear plus a radio and flashlight. Already had Steno camping stove and some cans of Sterno, but I did add some more cans so I can heat food for about a month without going outside the shelter when it started to get real with NK.

Basically, I watch the news and read the prepper forums for possible new threats and think through what I need to supplement what I already have on hand. That and rotating out items that expire. Yum, canned soup for lunch, still tasty despite "expiring" in 2015. :evil:

another addition that has crossover between a pandemic and nuke preparedness is a washdown shower - across the board usefulness too - could be as simple as that pump up sprayer supplying the water and a tray to contain & pipe away the offal ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby Flightnurse1 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:48 pm

This all sounds great, it is good to hear from preppers who have actually used their supplies to survive something. If truth be told, it can be monotonous prepping and nothing ever happens!
Flightnurse1

Postby ReadyMom » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:17 pm

"All-Hazards".

If you're going to prep, might as well prep for it all! At least then you are covered, no matter what comes your way. You'll NEVER bo 100%, but you'll be better off than most around you and give your family a chance to adjust to what's to come!
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Cin » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:55 pm

Mrs. FP,

Hurricane Elena took place in 1985. So yeah, we might have experienced the same one. We stayed in a military shelter for 2 nights, the first night, I was the only one in there with water - I'd filled two 5 gallon blue camp containers. At the end of the night, I was only filling baby bottles - people were thirsty and cranky, but too bad. The next night, the Navy supplied potable water.

When we got out of there, trees and debris littered all the roads. I drove on people's lawns, following other cars, to get home. Every house on our block was damaged except 3 - ours was one of those three.

Cin

ForwardPreppers wrote:Cin, I think those of us who either grew up military or had a military spouse (I was both) got to see the world and experience different cultures and disasters. I feel like that experience helped me in so many ways.

Not sure if we experienced the same hurricane Elena but I was a senior in HS in Gulfport MS. My house was without power for 10 days, friends nearby got it back in 5 days but I remember it well. My recollection of hurricanes was how dang hot it was after one hit! Omg

Adaptability is a true skill to have that will save many lives.

Mrs FP
Cin

Postby Stahlrosen » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:10 pm

"So we prep for common daily problems and weather...and for the zombie apocalypse, because you never know... :rofl:"

^^^THIS^^^
I'd say we fall in the all hazards category too. But again, military family here, so suspect that has a lot to do with it.

I don't find the prepping monotonous at all. I think it is a very dynamic thing because while yes you have a lot of the same standard preps, I think there is always room for modifying, learning new things so you can use the proper preps, or leaning new things so you can add a particular prep. If prepping has become a bit boring because you are staring at the same stuff and not using it, you need to expand your horizons.
Stahlrosen

Postby Permafrost » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:10 am

I used to be a general prepper or a winter prepper, because in Alaska winter used to be something that you really needed to prep for. These days I am trying to prep/deal with global warming. I'm not talking the liberal BS carbon stuff, but the real deal "melting arctic" that has thrown my life into a tailspin. The permafrost under my cabin has been slowly melting over the last 3 years so I am researching a foundation fix because it is sinking into the ground. I have given up on this years trapping season because the rivers are not frozen enough to safely haul freight on with a snowmachine, and am looking at brushing out a runway in the next few years because the airplane I chartered could not land on the river last week so I couldn't even fly in. I thought I was covered for just about anything, but now I need to go in a new direction. I truly fear what would happen if I needed to bug out right now, because all my preps are at a inaccessible cabin that I am normally living at.
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby woodchipper518 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:36 pm

I generally prep for a tornado event since I live in TX. Then I prep for grid down situations....which is basically the end result of just about every other scenario. I do have preps for bacterial and nuclear to improve my likelyhood of surviving the initial event. Nuclear...it all depends on how close and which way the winds are going but I can easily do a bug-in for days to 2 months...longevity really comes down to how much more water I can gather during the initial event. At some point, my water preps require exposure to the elements to replenish.

Bacterial is mostly....quarantine protocols and contamination. While I know what to do...not everyone does and we all get lax over time and make mistakes are made or protocols are not tight enough (ex. TX nurse who got Ebola). Although....I am short IV kits which is not good in a pandemic.
Is today really SHTF day? Good thing I quit drinking and smoking yesterday. Keep Calm and Reload.
Kilo Golf Five Quebec Papa Romeo (KG5QPR)
woodchipper518
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Location: North Texas - Denton County / Collin County line / 380 corridor

Next

Return to General Preparedness Discussion