• Advertisement

Pandemic Prep: Is the USA Prepared for a Pandemic?

Post about flu and other pandemics here

Moderator: medic94

Re: Pandemic Prep: Is the USA Prepared for a Pandemic?

Postby ReadyMom » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:51 am

Here's an AUDIO interview with Dr. Michael Osterholm (from CIDRAP ... "Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy" ) about pandemic Readiness:

The flu pandemic clock is ticking: Are we ready?
http://outbreaknewstoday.com/the-flu-pa ... ady-11882/

Many experts say a flu pandemic is clearly on the horizon, so the question is– Are we ready for a flu pandemic?

My guest today says- not so much -as he outlined in a NY Times op-ed earlier this week.

CIDRAP director, Michael Osterholm PhD joined me to discuss his views on why he believes we are woefully unprepared for the coming flu pandemic.

We’re not ready for a flu pandemic by Michael Osterholm and Mark Olshaker (Click on LINK, above to Listen... )
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Illini Warrior » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:54 pm

https://www.theorganicprepper.com/alaba ... -epidemic/

here's the action that Alabama has taken on a state level in regard to the flu epidemic - most likely the action is similar to what other states could take also ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby TRex2 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:00 pm

Dr. Michael Osterholm from CIDRAP isn't the only one who is dissatisfied with our nation's pandemic preparedness.

http://scottmcpherson.net/journal/2018/ ... ctice.html
America's struggles with a major flu epidemic (my words, but I will be borne out) have produced several revelations. The first is the complete lack of institutional memory when it comes to pandemic supply chain preparations. If I taught this mantra once, I taught it a hundred times, in a hundred lectures and seminars, from coast to coast, over a period of eleven years: Check your upstream and downstream suppliers for their pandemic preparedness. If they are unprepared, find new or secondary suppliers.

This is not just a health care warning. It is intended for any organization that does anything, makes anything, or services anything. If you search my blogsite, you will find previous references to this need. I have spoken to people all over America about it. I have had conversations with organizations as large as 3M -- and people as well-known and important as Michael Dell -- about pandemic supply chain management.

In my lectures, I also point out that Nature has a way of piling on disasters. For instance, 75% of all flu pandemics occur outside of flu season. We are coming up on the 100th anniversary of the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic, the worst flu pandemic in recorded history. It is commonly believed to have started on a farm in Kansas in the spring of 1918.

Well, Nature really piled on this time. Difference is, it piled on in ways we were not thinking about. Puerto Rico used to (pre-Hurricane Maria) manufacture the overwhelming majority of IV bags that are used in American hospitals.
Calling Islam a religion isn't much different than calling Nazism or Communism a religion.
Both were also political movements with a religious component, just like Islam.
TRex2

Previous

Return to Pandemic Preparedness