• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

Storage of oat groats?

Discuss general food topics here

Storage of oat groats?

Postby IdahoFreedom » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:57 pm

Short question ... can you store oat groats as long as whole-kernel wheat?

We currently store wheat in (lots of) 1-gallon heat-sealed mylar bags with O2 absorbers, and these are in 5-gal food grade pails. We were thinking of buying a flaker/roller to make our own rolled wheat and oats (cereal), and are also interested in long-term storage of oats. Nature stores things best, I think, and I would guess that whole oats store longer than rolled oats, although I only see rolled oats sold around here. I checked some prepper suppliers, and at first pale, I didn't see oat groats for sale (whole-kernel oats). Pleasant Hill Farms has them, in pails, using mylar bags, sealing lids, and O2 absorbers ... but their website only says "last 18 months". Whuh? Is that just a liability statement, or do whole-kernal oat groats go bad that fast? Wheat doesn't ... why would Oats?

Anyway, thanks in advance for any knowledge you share....

Brian
IdahoFreedom

Re: Storage of oat groats?

Postby Illini Warrior » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:08 pm

[quote="IdahoFreedom"]Short question ... can you store oat groats as long as whole-kernel wheat?

We currently store wheat in (lots of) 1-gallon heat-sealed mylar bags with O2 absorbers, and these are in 5-gal food grade pails. We were thinking of buying a flaker/roller to make our own rolled wheat and oats (cereal), and are also interested in long-term storage of oats. Nature stores things best, I think, and I would guess that whole oats store longer than rolled oats, although I only see rolled oats sold around here. I checked some prepper suppliers, and at first pale, I didn't see oat groats for sale (whole-kernel oats). Pleasant Hill Farms has them, in pails, using mylar bags, sealing lids, and O2 absorbers ... but their website only says "last 18 months". Whuh? Is that just a liability statement, or do whole-kernal oat groats go bad that fast? Wheat doesn't ... why would Oats?

Anyway, thanks in advance for any knowledge you share....

they do store as well as any of the whole grains - how do you intend to shell them? - that's the major problem with oats - I'd try one of the home roller/flakers before getting all excited - oats aren't eazy to work with ...
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby ForwardPreppers » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:09 pm

I would also like to add - why make life harder? Store your rolled or steel cut oats properly and they will last a VERY long time. If you are concerned about their shelf life - which I do not think you should - rotate them to keep them fresh(er).

Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator
South Carolina State Moderator

Postby IdahoFreedom » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:23 am

ForwardPreppers wrote:I would also like to add - why make life harder? Store your rolled or steel cut oats properly and they will last a VERY long time. If you are concerned about their shelf life - which I do not think you should - rotate them to keep them fresh(er).

Mrs FP

This is what I was wondering. Pleasant Hill said "18 months" for whole groats ... seemed awfully short. I know that once you break/cut/roll/grind whole grains, that they start to age faster (oil goes rancid? Not sure....). I wonder if oats have less oil than wheat? If rolled oats will last say 3 or 4 years, and it sounds like they will (?), then there's nothing at all wrong with a rotation plan.... and I can get rolled oats in bulk, cheap, locally.

Thanks,
Brian
IdahoFreedom

Postby IdahoFreedom » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:32 am

Illini Warrior wrote:they do store as well as any of the whole grains - how do you intend to shell them? - that's the major problem with oats - I'd try one of the home roller/flakers before getting all excited - oats aren't eazy to work with ...

Having the home roller/flaker would be nice to have, but I also agree with your perspectives on 'why make it harder than you have to?'. There's another site that I frequent, The Prepared Homesteader, here in Idaho that has a philosophy that I like - They say "We like the grid! But were ready for it if it goes away.". I grew up on a farm and we didn't have a lot of money, so we did much on our own ... had 1/4 acre planted to feed the family, 60 acres of onions and another 20 in hay to sell (or use), bought bushels of fruit and veggies that we canned or pickled or froze, and we all hunted (in addition to raising chickens and beef). We heated with wood ... because we liked to, not because we had to. It's sorta funny ... all the people that are "preppers" nowadays, that are really just going back to the lifestyle that we already grew up with. I know how much work it is and while I'm willing and able across the board, I also appreciate the conveniences that are available, as long as they are ... but believe in having a back-up to everything. It's just called "prudence". As for the moment, we are stuck in suburbia trying to finish up our careers so we can get the hay out of Dodge and back to the lifestyle and land that we prefer.

Thanks!

Brian
IdahoFreedom

Postby rickdun » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:39 am

Rolled oats maintained under ideal conditions, O2, maylar bags, etc., will keep up to 30 years, at least that what Augason Farms says.

I keep my rolled oats vaccum sealed in quart jars with O2. I know quart jars take up room, but I have the room and if the SHTF, the oats will be put in a 5 gallon bucket and the quart jars will be used to can the meat from the freezer within 3 days.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby Illini Warrior » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:17 pm

rickdun wrote:Rolled oats maintained under ideal conditions, O2, maylar bags, etc., will keep up to 30 years, at least that what Augason Farms says.

I keep my rolled oats vaccum sealed in quart jars with O2. I know quart jars take up room, but I have the room and if the SHTF, the oats will be put in a 5 gallon bucket and the quart jars will be used to can the meat from the freezer within 3 days.

Augason Farms are nobody to be quoting about storage - for years now they have been on the verge of getting sued for false representation - they contend 20-30 years storage for just about everything they sell in buckets - buckets still being done with 1990 technology - no mylar bagging and only nitrogen purging .... anybody that carefully & purposely skirts this fact with their customer service and marketing is nobody I trust ...

30+ years for whole oats with no problem - the shelling is tougher than even wheat - once you process and start adding steps the storage longevity suffers - it's still 20 years for oatmeal or rolled oats - something like Irish Oats adds a few years ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby IdahoFreedom » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:32 pm

Thanks, Illini Warrior! (You from Illinois?) That answers all my questions!

Brian
IdahoFreedom

Return to General Food Topics