• Advertisement

Roll Call For March 5 2011

Please introduce yourself here.

Moderator: Ravenwood1950

Roll Call For March 5 2011

Postby philandjudi » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:08 am

Ravenwood is training in Alabamy and asked me to put out the roll call for this weekend.

Garden update: My over winter Romaine lettuce is going to seed, the head lettuce is making some bigger heads, the red lettuce is huge.
Did an experiment with planting seeds of spinach, carrots, turnips and mustard in Nov. 2010 for over winter. They germinated and then the cold weather hit and they went into suspended growth. They have come alive now and have jumped up a couple of inches.
Plums blooming and blueberries really putting on buds. Paw Paws budding.
More freeze dried items purchased.
First aid upgrades on the truck.
Pocket Cooker came in and and looks better than expected and made in USA.
Excalibur dehydrator ordered.
Found Seal a Meal 2 - 11" rolls 18' vacuum storage bags for $4.98 on clearance at Target.
Enjoy the rain
Phil
“A few honest men are better than numbers.”
—Oliver Cromwell (Patriots p16)

"The Eighth Commandment. Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor."
philandjudi
Georgia Preppers Network
Georgia Preppers Network

Re: Roll Call For March 5 2011

Postby Georgia_Grown » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:29 am

Things are now progressing slowly as the "tax man cometh and taketh and taketh and taketh and taketh". We are now focusing on learning additional skills and upgrading the ones that we have. Mrs Grown is actively learning canning techniques and hopefully will be able to hook up with some local more experienced meat canners. She is also looking forward to gun training.
We have really enjoyed the get togethers and look forward to meeting more of the preppers in the near future. I have learned that everyone brings something different to the group and that diversity is truly needed.

By the way I have to go to work on Monday - I DID NOT win last nights lottery! DARN!
Henry County
Leader Region 3 South
Georgia_Grown
Georgia Preppers Network
Georgia Preppers Network

Postby dholmes » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:21 am

...picked up a few odds-n-ends for stocking the pantry
...watched most my seedlings grow a few inches (it seems) during the past week ((indoors)) - basil, marigolds, tomatoes barely hanging on / may need more light
...stepped away from the seemingly constant prepping, etc to some sewing for fun - Renaissance Faire costuming for myself / then I'll move on to making ones for the kidlets
...playing with BetterHomes&Gardens Home Designer 8 - "building" my dream home - we plan to build in the next few years on a pay-as-you-go basis - it's harder than it seems to balance the "wants" with the "needs" with the "should-haves"
...today's rainy day plans
1. transplant some seedlings into bigger pots
2. maybe do some sewing
3. relax - listened to too much news this past week / stressing

Mrs. Grown......pm me if you have any questions on the canning meat thing - I think I've got the process right since none of us has croaked in the last year or so that I've been canning
:lol:
Region 3 / Clayton
dholmes
Georgia Preppers Network
Georgia Preppers Network

Postby elevatorman » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:52 pm

Finished building the raised gardens tomatoes are sprouting getting ready for spring. need to order good top soil.
elevatorman

Postby philandjudi » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:26 pm

Elevatorman,
Compost is available in our area, Warner Robins, for $40 a ton. Check in your area. Topsoil, compost, course vermiculite and peat moss make a great mix.
Phil

"The Eighth Commandment. Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor."
philandjudi
Georgia Preppers Network
Georgia Preppers Network

Postby farside » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:13 pm

Phil thanks for starting the roll call today. Been working my but off this week, so prep took a back seat and the garden too. Had a good time at the southside get together once I got to the right place. Next time i'll check my voice mail catwoman. I did meet my son at the gun show today at the Atlanta Expo Center. There was a outfit there called true wilderness with all kinds of prepper stuff. They in Marietta on Cobb Parkway. I'll check them out and let you know what I fine. Maybe I can get them to give GPN members a discount. We are starting to get the numbers.
IDEAS ARE A DIME A DOZEN - PEOPLE WHO PUT THEM INTO ACTION ARE PRICELESS.
South Metro Region
State Counsel Chairman
Retired Combat Infantry NCO
farside
Georgia Preppers Network
Georgia Preppers Network

Postby philandjudi » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:45 pm

http://truewilderness.com/

TrueWilderness
1000 Cobb Parkway North, Suite B
Marietta, GA 30062

philandjudi
Georgia Preppers Network
Georgia Preppers Network

Postby ally79 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:53 am

Still here, still haven't had the baby yet anytime now though. Not a whole lot of prepping other than internet research as doc has put me on bed rest. We have continued stocking the pantry and stocking up on ammo. I cannot wait to get back on the range!! :)
ally79

Postby dragonturtle » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:13 pm

Farside, I checked out the True wilderness store yesterday. They had some good stuff, but it was a bit pricey. I got a small camp shovel from them and found that I paid about $10 too much. They are still getting the store together, so most stuff didn't have prices on them. They directed me to the web site.
One bad apple can spoil the whole barrel because the keeper of the barrel didn't remove the spoiled apple!
dragonturtle
Georgia Preppers Network
Georgia Preppers Network

Postby TomChemEngineer » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:10 pm

Yep, I went to the True Wilderness website and looked at it pretty thoroughly. Will visit the store this coming week, especially since it is on the way to the Army Navy Discount Store just to the east. Looks like True Wilderness caters more to the internet drop-ship business model, at least for now, but as you said, the store is pretty new.
TomChemEngineer
Georgia Preppers Network
Georgia Preppers Network

Postby Ravenwood1950 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:07 pm

Thanks so much for posting the Roll Call Phil!! :clap: I had a great time at the "Becoming an Outdoors Woman" Retreat in Columbiana, Alabama. I took a 'Get Your Bearings' class...learned how to put "Fred in the Shed" and Farside I can now use a compass and plot and site my bearings to get to a point using a map!! Yahoo! I took 2 Dutch Oven Cooking classes where I really wanted hands on training to bake in the ovens...got that knowledge checked off. We made biscuits twice, corn bread and a to die for German Chocolate Cake in the Dutch Ovens. Only problem...now I want a steel camp cooking table...be on the lookout at yard sales Farside they retail for $150!! I also took a Knot Tying class and learned lots of useful rescue knots and even a good lashing technque to hold my Poles together for pole beans. Plus I got to spend time with my Daughter in Law. Ladies, you must check out those retreats, there are so many good classes!! Maybe we can get several of us to go together this fall...Farside tell the wife she needs to go with me!!
Ravenwood

Link to main Becoming an Outdoors Woman website and then check out local states. Sadly Georgia is not funding this program any longer.
http://www.uwsp.edu/cnr/bow/
Spalding County, Georgia
Region 3 South Metro Area
Emergency Preparedness - spanning the gap between "it won't happen to me" and "we're all going to die!"
Ravenwood1950
Georgia State Moderator
Georgia State Moderator

Postby dragonturtle » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:34 pm

I stopped by the True Wilderness store on the way home today. They have a guy that will be having a survival school there every week. It starts tomorrow night and they may have two separate classes a week. The first class is free. Prices are $20 a week or $75 for the month. Hopefully they will have a Wednesday class as well. I have the guys name and number if anybody want it.
One bad apple can spoil the whole barrel because the keeper of the barrel didn't remove the spoiled apple!
dragonturtle
Georgia Preppers Network
Georgia Preppers Network

Postby rach2warr » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:09 pm

Went over inventory and made list of new items to buy when they go on sale. Also started purging cabinets and drawers, checking for items I could move into my prep inventory and for a co-yard sale this weekend. I'm surprised how many birthday candles can be lost in a drawer. Now they are zip locked away for a future project. I recall as a child, a project that a friend was making for fire starters that involved wax, dryer lint and paper towel tube. I'll have to research it 'cause it sounds like a perfect job for my 12 year old son. Need to plant some blueberry bushes I bought, should be a good time with all this rain, but I'm still waiting on that last cold spell.
Carroll CO, GA
Region 4 Leader
rach2warr

Postby JGibson » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:19 pm

Here. Have not really joined the group yet as I am still a bit wary. Can't help it, sorry. We're working on about the same things as you folks are, except getting together and some of the outdoor exercises some of you have had. Will try to come out from the shadows at some point. It will probably be much better when I meet some of you in person, just know in the meantime that there are many others out there doing the same thing and more waking up everyday. God Speed to you all,

John
JGibson

Postby mr bill » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:39 pm

Take your time John. Ask any questions you have, someone will have the answer or offer an opinion. I think we have all been in your position at one time or another. Sometimes you just have to trust your instincts and ease yourself in. Time is perhaps one thing we don't have allot of.
Leader zone 5, Clarke County
P!
mr bill

Next

Return to Check In Here Georgia Preppers