• Advertisement

New York preppers Roll Call 3/06/11

Welcome To the New York Preppers Network Forum. Introduce yourself here.

Moderator: TheLight

New York preppers Roll Call 3/06/11

Postby North Idaho Patriot » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:10 pm

The American Preppers Network is conducting a network-wide roll call.

New York Preppers, please reply to this post and let us know what you are doing to prep.

Are you new or not sure where to start?

Here are a few tips

Networking
The APN focuses heavily on promoting our state groups at the regional and local levels, more so than most forums. Here is the State Network directory, use it to get to know and communicate with others near you.
viewforum.php?f=36

Some other things you can do:
* Check in to your states group at least once or twice a week to help keep your local groups active
* See a storm or disaster in your area? Post about it and let others know
* Find a good deal at a local merchant? Tell us about it.
* Join your local CERT teams. Each state directory has a link that lists the teams in your state.
* Join ANTS (Americans Networking To Survive) ANTS is a unique group that forms supply chains between members so that members should not have to rely on the government for emergency supplies in a disaster. Here is their website: http://www.americansnetworkingtosurvive.org/
Here is their sub-forum here on APN: viewforum.php?f=618
* Join a local survival, preparedness, or sustainable living meetup group, or start one yourself. Meetup.com is a great social network that helps you meet others near you. APN is offering for a limited time free Meetup.com pages for our Gold members who want to start local Preppers meetups. Normally these pages are $20 a month to get started but with APN Gold membership being only $5 a month you can realize a net savings of $15 a month. Here is information on the offer: viewtopic.php?f=606&t=9170

Learning
Here on the APN learning is free. Our index page (index.php) is organized and categorized so that you can browse easily by subject to find the categories you are looking for. If you dont see a topic that you are looking for you can use the search bar. If you still can't find what you are looking for, then pose a question in the appropriate category and our members are more than happy to share their knowledge.

Resources here on the forum:
* The basics section here on the forum: viewforum.php?f=616
* The Survival, preparedness, and sustainable living directory: viewforum.php?f=12

Free downloads:
* http://cd3wd.com/ (Over 4,000 titles totally over 13 gigabytes)
* http://www.preppers.info/Free_Downloads.html (Over 300 ebooks, manuals and pdfs for download or get them all on disk for free. There is a suggested donation of $2.97 to help cover shipping and handling)
* http://www.stevespages.com/page7c.htm Hundreds of military training manuals and coursebooks for download
*Here is an article on how to build your survival library for pennies on the dollar: http://www.americanpreppersnetwork.com/ ... y-for.html

Teaching
By sharing what you know on how to prepare, survive, or live sustainable you are helping others to become more self-reliant in the process. "Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime." The more prepared everyone is and the more self-reliant everyone is, the freer we all are. When the unprepared become prepared they are no longer a liability for everyone else. Understand the difference between being in a disaster where there is only one able bodied person who is prepared and 10 who are unprepared vs a disaster where there are 10 prepared and only one who is in need. An unprepared populace that is dependent on the Government means less freedom for YOU. Do you see how you can "Find Freedom Through Teaching Others Self-Reliance"?

Some things you can do:
*Share your knowledge on these forums. You may find it to be a fair and equitable barter when you do. If are able to learn something from others here, then repay the favor by sharing with them what you know.
*Contribute articles to the blogs. The APN and state blogs are member and reader contributed blogs. We are holding a weekly contest now: viewtopic.php?f=606&t=9086
*Attend the local meetups if there are any in your community and teach your skills.

Do you have most of the bases covered already? Then reply to this post and tell us what you've been doing to prepare. You may inspire others to try something new. Good luck and Prep On!
North Idaho Patriot
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: New York preppers Roll Call 3/06/11

Postby pelenaka » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:27 pm

Shout out from Western New York Buffalo & Rochester area - not soo much new to prepping but relatively new to long term prepping which is the catagory that we are now working on.
Normally I prep for 3 years & under (food & basics) Now besides filling in a few holes such as proper water filtration & most recently off grid heat we need to get a handle on food preps for the 3 to 30 year storage.
Also a decent medical/first aid/trama kit one that is a bit short of brain surgery but more than band aids & tweezers. Learning alternative medicine (herbs ect.)
This is the year I get my pistol permit, and we beef upthe security on our urban homestead as we will be bugging in.
As always I'm looking to network & establish some local group buys.
pelenaka
New York Preppers Network

Postby wcski » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:04 pm

central new york here....added a months worth of freeze dried foods...bought a k-bar..joined the central new york trappers association...to get my trapping licence...trying to contact... i e-mailed.. but they have not returned yet...to learn about horse riding...shoeing...packing and other horse related topics that i can get them to teach me.

joseph
wcski

Postby mom2grandma » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:03 pm

i too am from upstate ny and am trying to get organized and making lists of what we need.
mom2grandma

Postby Big Ed » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:40 pm

:caution: I try to have I month supplies of food, in is hard at times do to low income...We don't buy fancy food, all our food come from supermakets or wally world :shakeyes:
Big Ed

Postby imaprepper » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:33 pm

Hello, All. Upstate NY here. New prepper to this forum but have had the call since a child. Feel that my childhood interests, observations, play and work has made me a natural as simple, with-what-I-have approach. Don't mind saying I just celebrated my 51st. Moved to NY 3 yrs ago and was able to settle on 2 rural acres. Have dug some small gardens; planted a few fruit and nut trees; took a Bio-Char workshop; have very simple limited tools right now (shovel, hand saw; pruners); have purchased a solar panel generator (not assembled yet); have basic supplies for 2 Bug Out Bags; have dry beans of every kind I can find; several lbs. rice; small jars of jam; extra supply of spices; flour; cornmeal; oil; powdered milk; learning to use a wood stove; have a good set of cast iron pans/dutch oven; a few How To books; sew; have extra kerosene w/3 lamps; extra flash lights; 2 dogs, 4 cats, 1 rabbit, and have learned to be happy being home (psychological preparedness).

MY TO DO LIST: Store water; batteries; canned food supplies; wool and other warm clothing for winter; extra leather work shoes; snow shoes; books; 2 or 3 laying hens; propane for outdoor cook stove; make several Bio-Char 2-Can Stoves (to share); make like-minded friends; and the list goes on...

In joy, Dolly

Habakkuk 3:17-19. KJV

17Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines; the labour of the olive shall fail, and the fields shall yield no meat; the flock shall be cut off from the fold, and there shall be no herd in the stalls:

18Yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation.

19The LORD God is my strength, and he will make my feet like hinds' feet, and he will make me to walk upon mine high places.
imaprepper

Postby roger o » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:36 pm

Checking in from Long Island.

Putting away as much food as I can in the limited space available. Buying ammo now in order to have enough to trade for food etc.

Looking seriously to sell our home, and relocate to upstate. Got to get off of this dead end, before it's too late!
Roger

Is est non maximus ut vos teneo totus refero - is est maximus ut vos teneo quaestiones sciscitor.
μολὼν λαβέ
roger o
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Eaglelover » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:59 pm

Checking in from Up State central NY; Eaglelover
Eaglelover

Postby john francis » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:07 pm

On 75 acres upstate near albany-about one year for 2 of us but many non-prepping relatives and friends-i've always been a gear junkie so almost too much of the tools/gadgets...Have 3-4 years firewood ready to go in case we go grid down...fairly extensive medical and antibiotics plus a colloidal silver generator to make more...excellent medical/foraging/primitive technology library...reasonable family defenses...extensive water purification, storage abilities...and just today sourced some organic red spiral wheat from a small farmer in Minnesota. $1,310 for 2000 lb pallet delivered to my home near Albany NY---if any one is interested in purchasing some excellent organic wheat for their long term storage contact me at fifthsunshining@hotmail.com ASAP--i'd buy two pallets if i knew that i had a home for some of it---im not looking to make a cent so you do the math on cost per pound and i'll even meet you halfway from albany to your location to help you out...just getting tired of paying shipping for quality organic grains so let me know...
john francis

Postby smallgameguy » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:55 pm

Did my other post get deleted?? I'm from the Rochester area and i still havent started prepping yet. I have no idea how to get started. I wish there is a week by week "basic" list of what to get, i find it hard to get the types of things needed. I'm too worried about expiration dates. Can someone tell me exactly what to start with, where i can get it, brand names and what not??

SGG
smallgameguy

Postby North Idaho Patriot » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:58 pm

was this the same thread that you posted on that you think got deleted?
North Idaho Patriot
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby smallgameguy » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:02 pm

Yes i posted right under the post from the lady with the bible quotes after her signature.

SGG
smallgameguy

Postby NFA » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:05 pm

I posted about an hour ago, but it doesn't seem to be here...seem to be some issues with APN today...

Checking in from Northern NY, I worked on modding my HD shotgun, filling out some corners of the pantry, rotating water supplies, and such...

Jamie - nfa
NFA

Postby hiddenfaces7 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:14 pm

Endicott, NY,
Broome County

We've been storing non perishables and cases of bottled water.
hiddenfaces7

Postby outlawblues » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:10 pm

we are still here hoping to plan soon and looking at some live stock chickens are definite ducks possible ,pigs are high on list , and a young bull and cow , are hoped for with 5 acres all wooded it is going to be tough but we are trying as with most preppers money is scarce so we just keep trying . we do have lots of things to help out materials for a bicycle powered generate, and possibly water power with a steam right next to the house . i am looking into fitting the house with red and white led lighting working on 12 volts . i also have an inverter for 110 volts like the well we can foods and all hunt so expect to be in good shape there . the rest will slowly come just hope that it is in time also the c d you offer is spectacular thanks
outlawblues

Next

Return to Check In Here New York Preppers