• Advertisement

First Aid Kit-Comprehensive List

First Aid, Health, & Medicine go here

Moderator: medic72

Re: First Aid Kit-Comprehensive List

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:07 pm

epipin does require a prescription. I had them in Texas years ago because I had a horrible reaction to fire ant bites, but later a doc would no longer let me have it. First doc said I could possibly die if I had another reaction like that one. Go figure
PatrioticStabilist

Postby MoeRN » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:10 pm

Epi pens are prescription only. You have to have an anaphylactic reaction to something that you may not be able to avoid to get it. And as PatrioticStabilist pointed out, it depends on the doc.

A good thing for allergic reactions is Benadryl. They make a kind that is good under the tongue (if they can't swallow) or liquid (limited swallowing). And if you know what you are allergic to, avoid it (obviously).

Unfortunately we can't help everything and it will be difficult to treat patients/family/neighbors with life-threatening things without proper medical care or equipment. And knowledge is power!
Mom of 3 beautiful boys
Married to high school sweetheart for 10 years
RN (7 years experience) currently working in heart and vascular intensive care unit
P+

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference."
MoeRN
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Postby Pam54 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:10 am

Having been a nurse, I've got quite a bit of stuff for medical emergencies...lots of it has been gotten from veterinary supply catalogs and some from farm supply stores. amazon.com is also a very good place to get stuff...bought some "practice sutures"... My insurance gives me $50 credit each month to order (from a preselected list, about 5 pages long) over the counter medications and medical supplies. Things such as multi vitamins, specific vitamins (Vit B, C, D), mineral supplements (Magnesium, Calcium), cough/cold meds, allergy meds, pain medications such as aspirin, acetaminophen, ibuprofen, naproxen; medical supplies such as tape, bandages, BP cuffs, bathroom scales. Most of the meds come in bottles for a one month supply or 100 at a time. I've always kept a good backup supply of OTC stuff...I have enough now to open my own third world clinic! A recent allergic reaction to an antibiotic...don't throw them out, put them in the box. (Just mark them in red so I don't accidentally take them). My prescription meds, such as allergy meds, epipen's, inhalers...all in there. I use up all of my refills even for stuff I use on occasion only. Pretty well set at this end. I stock up on anything that's on sale, that I have a coupon for...buy-one-get-one deals are a favorite of mine (Walgreens has them a lot). My emergency kit does need a new version of the Nursing Drug Handbook or PDR...mine is OLD...missing lots of the newer meds. Also need a good first aid manual for those that may need to treat me.
Pam54

Postby Jim Evans » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:29 am

Really a huge list of the items to be included in the kit. While traveling you must carry such first aid kits. First aid kits are a great help when you are in problem. Thanks for such expert advice and the list. :)
Jim Evans

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Mon May 05, 2014 8:58 pm

This may not sound like something you need but get moleskin. I have a walking cast and without it I would be in big trouble.
The skin is breaking down so I also bought telfa pads to put under it and just tape the edges where a bone is rubbing and was
bleeding. If you had to walk a lot and started having problems this stuff could be a lifesaver. I bought in quantity. Another
item they had was lambswool, I used a piece till well it got pretty rank so had to pitch it. Wondering now if I could have
washed it.

I did have anaphylactic shock from the fire ant bites, I had Benadryl and took several tablets or they said I could have died.
I knew I was sick but my husband nor I realized how bad it was. My foot turned almost black and first thing the next morning I went to the
ER. He made me quickly learn how to give myself a shot. I carried an epi pen for years then my new physician would not give me
a scrip for a new one. I got bit afterwards and it never happened again. But many years later had my throat start swelling shut after eating oysters.
I keep Benadryl on hand, cheap generic is just as good.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby PalmTrees » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:41 pm

Hi, I hope someone here can answer my questions. Under the section for Expert Advice, someone suggested keeping your OTC medications in a wide-mouth thermos instead of just in your car's First Aid kit. She was hoping this would keep them cool enough, but was going to experiment with a thermometer and see how hot the interior of the thermos became after a day in a car. Unfortunately, she never reported back.

yesterday, I posted that I wondered if all creams and ointments shouldn't also be protected from the heat. So far, I haven't received a response, so I thought this forum might provide an answer.

So, has anyone have any experience in keeping their medications, ointments, creams in a cooler ( without ice) while storing in a vehicle?

currently most places around th ie country are experiencing hot weather. I would hate to have to use a hydrocortisone cream, aspirin, Benedryl, Imodium, antibiotic ointment, whatever and find that all are useless because heat has made them ineffective.

Any suggestions, advice? Putting ice into an ice chest every day is impractical and during an SHTF emergency, ice will be unavailable. So, how can we keep our FA kits safe?

PT
PalmTrees

Postby whitebear54 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:59 am

D_Loki,

Great post, man. Thank you for multiple excellent suggestions.
Visit my author website at www.RaymondDeanWhite.com
"Distrust of government is at the very core of what it means to be an American."
"Growing your own food is like printing your own money."
"If you aren't preparing to live you're preparing to die."
"While doubt is uncomfortable, certainty is only for fools and zealots."
whitebear54
Arizona Preppers Network
Arizona Preppers Network

Re: My Grab and Go First Aid Kit

Postby Scar17s » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:20 pm

6 years old now.
What would you add to this list?

ReadyMom wrote:I have a red 'First Aide' duffle bag in my vehicle, one in our DD's vehicle (she's away at college, so I wanted her prepared), one in my DH's vehicle (on a smaller scale) and will prepare one for our DS when he drives his own vehicle. This is what I have in my First Aide Duffel Bag:

ALCOHOL PADS
ANTIBIOTIC CREAM
ANTISEPTIC TOWELETTE
ANTI-ITCH
ASPIRIN
BABY TOOTH MEDICINE
BAKING SODA
BAND-AIDS-'Advanced Healing pad
BAND-AIDS-Finger Size
BAND-AIDS-Knee Size
BAND-AIDS-'Regular"
BAND-AIDS-'Spot"
BANDAGE: Elastic 2"
BANDAGE: Elastic 3"
BEE STING EASE
BELT
BENADRIL CREAM (Hydrocortisone)
BUTTTERFLY BANDAIDS
CAN OPENER
COLD PACK -Instant
CLEAN DIAPER CLOTH
CLEAN MATERIAL
COLD PACK -'Snap'
COLD PACK - For Burns (Cold Wrap)
COTTON BALLS
COTTON SWABS
COUGH DROPS
EAR Syringe (1)
GAUZE BANDAGE: 2"
FLASH LIGHT
GAUZE BANDAGE: 3"
GUAZE PADS: Non Stick - 1.5x2"
GAUZE PADS: 2x2
GAUZE PADS: 3x3
GAUZE PADS: Surgical 5x9"
GROUND BASIL LEAVES
GROUND GINGER
GROUND NUTMETG
HEAT WRAP - Instant
HYDROGEN PEROXIDE
ICHTHAMMOL (Black Save)
INSTANT HEAT PAD
LIGHT STICK
MASK: Respirator/Face
MATCHES
MEDICINE DISPENSER
MIRROR (small)
MOTRIN
NAIL CLIPPERS
NEELDE/THREAD
NO MORE OUCHIES
ORAL PAIN RELIEF
PADS: (4) Small
PADS: (4) Medium
PADS: (4) Large
PAIN RELIEF MED. (Adult Ibuprofen
PAPER TOWELS
PEN FLASH LIGHT
PEN/PAD of PAPER/PENCIL
PEPPERMINT
PETROLEUM JELLY
PIERCED EAR SOLUTION
PLASTIC GLOVES
PLASTIC RECLOSEABLE BAGS: Sm
PLASTIC RECLOSEABLE BAGS: Md
PLASTIC RECLOSEABLE BAGS: Lg
POISON IVY CREAM
TAPE: Water Proof -1/2 " (6)
Tape: Water Proof -1" (6)
SAFETY PINS
SCISSORS
SCREWDRIVER-Small
SICK BAG
SNAP LIGHT STICK
SORE THROAT POPS
SPLINT STICKS: Small (Popsicle)
SPLINT STICKS: Large (Popsicle)
SPLINT STICKS: Blue Metal-Lg (2)
SPLINT STICKS: Blue Metal -Sm (1)
SPLINTS: (Old Shin Guard)
SUNSCREEN: 30 spf
THERMAL RUB
THERMOMETER STRIP
TOOTHBRUSHES & TOOTHPASTE
TRASH BAGS
TWEEZERS
VISINE A.C. EYEDROPS
WARMERS: Hand
WARMERS: Toe
WATER
WET WIPES
YARN/STRING

I have this list printed in excel format and placed in a plastic sheet protector for each bag. I check off each item, when I re inventory. I date each sheet upon re inventory. I try to keep just a small travel size of any pain meds because I don't want to waste due to temp. changes. All my meds are in larger quantities @ home. -k

6 years old now
What would you add to this list?
Scar17s

Postby straightshooter » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:47 pm

Trauma tourniquet
Quick Clot gauze
>>>Lidocaine is available as a powder w/out a scrip now

BTW, Benadryl tabs or capsules can be chewed for faster results. Tastes terrible but not as bad as the taste of death from an anaphylactic reaction.

Take a Basic First-Aid course. And Basic CPR, because doing ANYTHING is better than doing NOTHING.
straightshooter

Previous

Return to First Aid & Medicine