• Advertisement

Storeing Oil / Lard

Any homesteading topics not specific to the other categories go here

Moderator: mmpaints

Re: Storeing Oil / Lard

Postby xtron » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:45 pm

this thread reminded me..
last year i made burger rocks..the suet that came off i pored into a can, cooled, put in a ziplock bag, and stored in the basement....
i just checked it....it's growing a nice fur coat, but under that, it looks and smells fine....but i don't think i'll be cooking with it.
when the time comes, i will melt it, pore it into another can, this one with a heavy cotton thread centered in it and make a primitive candle.
i have several already made up with burger grease and they burn similar to a tiki torch...a little smoke, but lots of light. i expect the suet, being harder,will burn cleaner and slower.

oh...if you can get your hands on them... cotton thread from a compressed air air filter makes outstanding wick. i get mine from work.
silence in the face of tyranny is implied consent, and, I DO NOT CONSENT
xtron

Postby sageprice » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:00 pm

all old fat and oils still burn fine, cook on it not in it
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network

Postby AfleetAlex » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:06 pm

I grow sunflowers, harvest and store the seeds for oil. Right now I've about one seasons worth of seeds stored, in case we have to bug out in the winter. And I'm prepping for roughly 18 people.
AfleetAlex

Postby Jardude » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:09 pm

AfleetAlex wrote:I grow sunflowers, harvest and store the seeds for oil. Right now I've about one seasons worth of seeds stored, in case we have to bug out in the winter. And I'm prepping for roughly 18 people.

What are you using to extract the oil?
Jardude

Postby Jardude » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:19 pm

I'm storing both virgin and refined coconut oil. As well as olive oil, canned butter and lard

Both CO are dated out 2 years. I have it kept boxed and in the coolest corner of my root cellar. I have no doubts it'll keep for over 10 years.
Jardude

Postby Hillbillyman » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:13 pm

I'm not sure I am reading this post right.

Cooking oil comes in plastic jugs, have one under the sink for years, until it is empty, never had cooking oil go bad!

Crisco - have a large can of it in the cupboard, never had Crisco go bad, not even after 5 years!

Lard - mom saved bacon grease for use in making Pagtch and I have always had a butter bowl full in my fridge - just in case she ran out.
It makes cooking bacon much easier, because you can just melt it and drop in the bacon and then fry the bacon and save the grease.

Once a year, I empty the container, reheat until hot, let cool, put in a new butter bowl and put back into the fridge. I do strain out the crumbs from the bacon when I render it.

The grease also comes in handy when I make German Style Potato Salad.
Bacon grease kept in the refrigerator will keep indefinitely as long as the temperature inside of the fridge is near or at 32*F - which is where a refrigerator should be kept.
Sometimes a idiot will ask a question that the wisest man cannot answer.
Hillbillyman

Postby JimET » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:20 am

Hillbillyman wrote:I'm not sure I am reading this post right.

Cooking oil comes in plastic jugs, have one under the sink for years, until it is empty, never had cooking oil go bad!

Same here. Had a plastic jug of cooking oil under the sink until it was all used up. By the time I was done with it, it was about 6 years past the best by date. I used cooking oil more now that I did. The jug I'm using now (almost gone) has a best by date of 5/2014. The next jug I will open and use has a best by date of 11/2014.
JimET

Postby Murby » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:30 am

We raise and slaughter our own pigs.

I render the fat into lard and then pressure can it at 15psi like a meat product. My oldest jars are pushing 4 years now and they're fine...
Murby

Postby jean11 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:55 am

I've been saving my bacon grease in the refrig until I have enough to pressure can a number of pints. My first batch of bacon grease I filled to within 1 inch of the top of the pint jar - and I learned that was a mistake. The boiling grease splattered the rim of the pint jar during processing, and those jars did not seal. I now fill the jars 2 to 2 1/2 inches from the top and no longer have the problem. My next canning project is to can 8 pounds of butter. I canned butter one other time and the processing turned out fine. I learned a lesson here as well. The butter I bought was salted, and the end product was enough to make my hair stand up. This time I'm doing a mix of salted and unsalted which is what the recipe suggested in the first place.
jean11

Postby Murby » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:44 pm

jean11 wrote:I've been saving my bacon grease in the refrig until I have enough to pressure can a number of pints. My first batch of bacon grease I filled to within 1 inch of the top of the pint jar - and I learned that was a mistake. The boiling grease splattered the rim of the pint jar during processing, and those jars did not seal. I now fill the jars 2 to 2 1/2 inches from the top and no longer have the problem. My next canning project is to can 8 pounds of butter. I canned butter one other time and the processing turned out fine. I learned a lesson here as well. The butter I bought was salted, and the end product was enough to make my hair stand up. This time I'm doing a mix of salted and unsalted which is what the recipe suggested in the first place.

The reason your grease boiled and splattered is the same reason your canned grease is probably going to go bad... Water!!

I would also comment that storing grease with meat in a fridge for more than a week will probably result in a spoiled product.

But I'm no expert..
Murby

Postby jean11 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:27 pm

Well....we have not had a problem with bacon grease spoiling. When the jar is full enough in the frig it gets moved to the freezer, until we have enough to process.
jean11

Postby jimLE » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:21 am

all i've stored so far.is 2 pints of bacon grease..even then.i used 2 pint jars lids n rings.and of course.my 16 quart pressure cooker..i went with 1/2 hour canning time,in hope that works..
jimLE

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:03 am

I have quite a few containers of non GMO lard in the freezer. I need to start using more, been using
bacon grease of late. I like products cooked in lard, taste better, and from what I'm reading times
have changed again. Now they are saying you need more fats in our body. No we aren't fat and no
I don't go overboard.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby daaswampman » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:06 pm

I believe there is a lot of misunderstanding about oils and how long they are safe to use. The only oil I remember that seemed bad, was some overpriced olive oil I received as a gift. I have canned oils for over ten years and have never noticed anything wrong with them. Several years ago I switched to canning butter and lard for storage, but will keep all my old stock just in case! Worst case scenario - as Sage stated, I can always use them as fuel! Swamp

Can You Get Sick From Eating Rancid Oil?

[snip]

Oil, particularly unsaturated oils like canola, olive, peanut, or vegetable oil, go bad quickly. The traditional enemies of oils -- heat, light and oxygen -- can turn it rancid in a short time. While rancid oil may taste bad, it doesn’t normally make you sick, at least not in the short term. Rancid oil does contain free radicals that might increase your risk of developing diseases such as cancer or heart disease down the road. Rancid oils that contain low-acid vegetables such as garlic or other herbs and spices could cause botulism, but it’s the vegetables, not the oil, that cause the illness.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/45978 ... ancid-oil/

I am sure some finicky people will disagree, but if SHTF happens, they will be dead long before their oil goes bad! Silver linings!
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby broden » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:02 pm

we keep a layer of crisco containers in the bottom of our chest freezer. i figure it will be good there for sure as long as the freezer is running and long after if it's not working

other than that we keep about 2 years worth of canola oil on the shelf in the pantry and rotate through it.. never had any go bad at all

there are other ways to store some emergency oil like buying canned tuna in oil.. might not be much oil might be fishy tasting.. but in a pinch
broden

PreviousNext

Return to General Homesteading Topics