• Advertisement

Storeing Oil / Lard

Any homesteading topics not specific to the other categories go here

Moderator: mmpaints

Re: Storeing Oil / Lard

Postby angie_nrs » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:01 pm

Lostfalls wrote:do you have a FoodSaver? If you do, you can get a 'regular mouth' and a 'wide mouth' vacuum attachment for it. You can use this attachment to suck most of the air out of the jar and seal it. This especially nice for tallow and lard because you are not exposing it to any more heat, which will only help it to store longer. Just a suggestion - easier than water bathing it, essentially same results without spills hot grease on your hands (I'm clumsy).
[/quote]

Interesting.....I never thought of using my food saver to vacuum seal jars with crisco. I'm just wondering though if it would extend the shelf life since you would be exposing it to more air while transferring it to jars as opposed to just leaving it in the original container in a cool dark place?

Also, I would like to know what folks think of coconut oil. I've bought some gallon jugs of it and am on my last one now. The container says 2014 but it's fine. We use it mostly for popcorn, but would like to add more of it to my pantry. However, it can be somewhat pricey so I don't want to over do it on the coconut oil. I thought it had a fairly unlimited shelf life, but google searches seem to dispute that.
angie_nrs

Re: Storeing Oil / Lard

Postby broden » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:15 am

another thing we have found seems to keep well is spray oil like pam
broden

Previous

Return to General Homesteading Topics