• Advertisement

Looking for Info on Butter Churns

Any homesteading topics not specific to the other categories go here

Moderator: mmpaints

Re: Looking for Info on Butter Churns

Postby AmieW » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:52 pm

My grandmother gave us pint mason jars to shake to make butter when we were little, to keep us busy at night. It took a lot of shaking, but it eventually made butter, and it was fun for us kids. She strained the butter through cheese cloth and we had homemade buttermilk.
AmieW

Postby loftisindustries » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:14 am

for a butter churn try a hand mixer (the old hand crank one found in a number of places ross, target, second hand ect), as far as a milk separator start with a linen cloth (most cloth napkins are made from this for reference) set it in a strainer set the strainer over a bowl, make sure the milk is chilled (helps the fat cells separate) fill the strainer up and let it set for 5+ min. the milk will flow through and the heavy cream will be left on the strainer. empty the strainer into another bowl ( 1/2 tsp salt for 2 cups of cream for regular butter, or add enough honey to make the mixture sweet (best honey butter around) ) break out your mixer and mix away the butter will be forthcoming takes about 10-20 min for the whole process, the fluid left after the butter is made makes a good bread. :wave:
loftisindustries

Postby mmpaints » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:44 am

loftisindustries wrote:for a butter churn try a hand mixer (the old hand crank one found in a number of places ross, target, second hand ect), as far as a milk separator start with a linen cloth (most cloth napkins are made from this for reference) set it in a strainer set the strainer over a bowl, make sure the milk is chilled (helps the fat cells separate) fill the strainer up and let it set for 5+ min. the milk will flow through and the heavy cream will be left on the strainer. empty the strainer into another bowl ( 1/2 tsp salt for 2 cups of cream for regular butter, or add enough honey to make the mixture sweet (best honey butter around) ) break out your mixer and mix away the butter will be forthcoming takes about 10-20 min for the whole process, the fluid left after the butter is made makes a good bread. :wave:

Since you're obviously new here, let me suggest that you defer to those of us that live self sustained. Turning cream into butter will not take more than just 2 or 3 minutes if the cream is at the proper temperature. The old style hand mixer turns too fast. As for separating the cream, cows milk will simply rise the cream all on it's own, just use something like the old glass ice tea jug with the spigot on it to remove the milk part. As for goats milk, good luck with the cloth idea. It is inefficient and makes a mess.

Why does everybody keep making simple things so damn complicated? Really, it's not complicated in any way. You really don't need any gadgets or expensive butter churns to do this. Those things do not make the butter better. Also not that the "fluid" is milk whey also called BUTTER MILK (not the store bought cultured kind you're all used to) and it's been used for a thousand years in bread baking! It's also full of proteins and can be fed to livestock and is perfectly fine for human consumption.
"Life is hard. It's even harder if you're stupid". - John Wayne

WARNING- i change my avatar frequently for my own enjoyment. Complaining about it won't help ;)
mmpaints
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Rabid » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:22 pm

My grandchildren got an ice cream ball for christmas last year. I'm thinking that may make a good butter churn. An oil seperator mesuring cup might work for the cream.
DAMMIT IM MAD spelled backwards is DAMMIT IM MAD
Rabid

Postby mmpaints » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:20 pm

Yes Rabid, that will work for the cream in small amounts unless you've got that huge one (wish I could find a bigun myself). Ice cream ball, never seen that one but it should work. Just let the cream warm to room temperature ( around 70F) and it will turn into butter almost instantly.

WARNING- i change my avatar frequently for my own enjoyment. Complaining about it won't help ;)
mmpaints
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby mmpaints » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:49 pm

Actually, most of the dazeys you find now are reproductions and why spend the money for something you really don't need. Why is it so hard to believe that all you need to make butter is a canning jar?

mmpaints
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby suzorse » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:41 am

I have 4 electric churns and can do up to 5 gal of cream at once, my manual churn is a 1/2 gal
canning jar or qt jar, butter making is simple but is work , to skim the cream a gal of cows milk needs to sit for 12 to 24 hrs ,then you use a ladle to remove the cream off the top,or as someone else said put it in an Ice tea jar and then drain the milk off the bottom
you can see the seperation, in order to get cream from goats milk you will need to use a seperater, some Nubians will get a small amount of seperation but not a lot,as it is naturaly homoginized which means it dose not seperate,
warm the cream to room temp, then shake the jar or turn the crank, it will get real thick like whipping cream before it breaks into butter, you will strain the butter out then,fine mesh strainer or butter muslin, then put the butter in a low bowl and start working the butter with the back of a spoon and rinsing under cold water, then nead the butter with the spoon add salt at this time as it will help to pull out the butter milk ,when you have got as much of the buttermilk out as you can then it is ready to eat, for more info on making butter and Keeping Family Cows you can go to this site
http://familycow.proboards.com/index.cgi
and for goats go here
http://www.dairygoatinfo.com/index.php?board=4.0
suzorse

Postby Wylfenne » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:41 pm

You can look to ebay for butter churns too... I got mine for fairly cheap... but you have to be careful and it's difficult to buy something like that used. Mine came with cracks in the lid, which threaten to rip free the whole churning mechanism each time I use it.

I also have used the little plastic food choppers like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Inter ... B0000DINF7

I found mine at a thrift store for three bucks. It leaks some through the pour spout when you really get to cranking, but I made several batches of butter with it before I bought the big antique one, and I actually kinda prefer it despite the leakiness, just due to it's size. You still gotta hold it down good against the counter so it's not going anywhere and your arm gets a workout :)

Has anyone successfully separated goat milk with a separator? Like REALLY been successful? I'd really like to know because it didn't work to well for me... and I'd love to hear that it is possible.

I happened to come across an old hand crank cream separator that was kept in such wonderful condition, it was like new. It came off a homestead where the gentleman I purchased it from said his father used it every day to separate milk from their cow when he was growing up. The man took incredible care of this thing. The history of it was as rich as I expected the cream to be coming out of it! I had a Nubian doe in milk at the time. Nubians are supposedly known for higher fat content of milk. I thought that would mean lots of butter.

The separating didn't seem to happen as well as with a cow's milk. Poor Gabby was giving me all she had every day and I cranked and cranked and was disappointed with what little there was that actually separated. Most of it didn't. I didn't know if I was cranking too hard, not cranking hard enough... I just couldn't seem to get it right. I did get to try it with cow's milk and had much better results. :( Goat butter quickly took the back seat and I decided to concentrate on cheeses and yogurts instead and occasionally buy cream to make my own butter... but I would really like to figure the darn thing out with goats... since well... goats is what I got.

Oh wow... I didn't see there was two pages more when I posted this... Newbie here sorry. :eek:
Wylfenne

Postby MsArri » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:17 pm

you CAN churn goat milk to get butter you just have to use the whole jar of milk to do it since their cream does not seperate

We milk 4 goats and cannot always keep up with their milk so when one of the gallon jars starts to get old [3-4 days ]
we just let it sit out to room temperature then pour it in the churn I have both an electric churn and one of the old
hand crank churns . we then take whats left after we get the butter off and feed it to the pigs
MsArri

Postby MsMossRose » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:47 pm

Occasionally I'm able to get fresh cows milk and I use the cloth method. I have used the canning jar method but I actually like using an old hand crank egg beater that belonged to my great grandmother. It works very well. I've never tried goats milk though.
MsMossRose

Postby Anna » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:02 pm

I bought a used separator when we had goats, but it did not work. I was never able to make butter from goats milk.

Cows milk is simple, let set in fridge overnight and then skim cream off in the morning.

I used to give my ds the churn and tell him he had to churn the butter while he watched TV. He was a TV addict and I wouldn't let him watch unless he turned the churn. I would start the butter in the blender and then move to the churn to finish so it didn't take long.
Anna

Postby sageprice » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:42 am

If you ever ruined a batch of whipped cream by over whipping it you have made butter. :rofl:
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network

Postby Vetmike » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:20 am

Look up a video called 'Amish Paradise'. It provides a good visual on the proper way to churn butter with an old fashioned churn. :rolleyes:
Vetmike

Previous

Return to General Homesteading Topics