• Advertisement

Solar LED lights and chargers

Discussions of Solar Energy

Moderator: watcher

Solar LED lights and chargers

Postby ShinigamiGurl » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:41 pm

I was wondering if anybody knows a good solar LED light for INDOORS on amazon.com that will light like a regular floor lamp? Or if a solar laptop charger will also run a desk top computer? Does someone know what solar device chargers will charge what devices? I need a general cheap method of charging devices that hook up via usb's such as cellphone, mp3 player, game player. battery charger?

I've decided to try to go for solar lighting and device charging first. If the grid goes down, solar lighting will give me more work hours and prevent falls down these god damned steep stairs. The hallway that leads to the main stairway is blocked by renovation materials for the bathroom next to my room. At night and early morning it creates a /nerve/ wracking sense of vertigo and claustrophobia in the hallways. And the bedroom with more space and a clear hallway and no dust filled carpeting needs repairs to the cieling, i can't move in until its been fixed. *facepalms* So it would be very nice to carry my light with me at night and in the early morning hours.

But there's so much on the market both for solar lighting and for portable device chargers. I have SO many questions about voltage and wattage. I don't want a full blown solar panel. I want to eliminate the god damned cords that are cluttering up my room and lower my electric bill so that when SHTF i can work into the night on a sewing project or knitting project. :cursing: Especially since my survival strategy is going to require me to be able to produce barterable sewn and knitted goods.
@doing working on setting up my new computer, installing drivers, antivirus, and other programs.
ShinigamiGurl

Re: Solar LED lights and chargers

Postby mombear » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:49 pm

We got a bunch of the solar lights that go out side, measured how round they were and went shopping for food in jars (some pint jars worked too) set them on top of the opening of the jar and wa la, an instant lamp. We put them in a south facing window during the day. The lights last about three hours, that is enough for us. You can get better batteries and they will last a lot longer. I wish I could figure out how to put pictures on here so I can show you.

Also now that it is Christmas time you can get solar panel lights from GE on a string. We hung them all over my DD's baby's room and it gives off a soft light, kinda cool. We did have to have the solar panel out side of the window, the UV protection on the glass is not conducive for collecting sun light.
Your failure to prepare, does not make it an emergency for me!!
mombear
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby craftyone » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:56 pm

Those briefcase laptop solar chargers will never generate enough power to power a desktop computer, which uses much more energy than a laptop. And even if you get a laptop solar charger, when fully charged it will only keep your laptop going for about an hour, according to the reviews I've read. Best get used to the idea that you won't be able to use a computer when the SHTF unless you have a dedicated solar panel or a generator.

In terms of powering devices, you'll have a much easier time of powering devices if they take standard batteries, since solar battery chargers are very effective. My mp3 player is powered by one AAA battery, which will be a snap to keep going. If you get a hand crank/solar emergency radio, some of them have built in USB slots so you might be able to power a cell phone that way. (Be warned, the reviews I've read said that it takes an hour of cranking to charge a cell phone for a five minute phone call!!!) My hand crank radio has a USB port and I plugged my eReader into it but didn't get an appreciable charge. I'd have better luck with nonstandard battery devices if I purchased a solar panel and inverter and just plugged the standard recharging plugs for my devices into the inverter.

What I'm interested in finding is a hand crank generator. JWR mentioned that The Group used a hand crank generator in his book Patriots, but I haven't had any luck in finding one for sale. Any ideas people? I'd love a generator but a gas powered one is just a big noisy invitation for people to come raid you. :D
Are you getting all this, NSA, or should I send you a .pdf?

:x :angry: :cursing:
craftyone
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby jimprepper333 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:58 am

Walmart has some that I am waiting for them to clearance out. One store in my area already did and I bought 25 for a buck apiece. They use aa batteries, so I am going to use them to charge aa batteries. I have a rack i built to put in my south facing window. at the end of the day, i will pull the batteries out, test them and if they need more charging, replace them in the morning. I have been using them for years as a back up light source when the power goes out. I read a post where someone uses them to power small electronic devices, but havent had time to mess around with that. I will have plenty of time soon to tinker with that as soon as the snow hits. Right now every spare second is used to getting things ready for that nasty snow that is coming.
jimprepper333

Postby ShinigamiGurl » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:19 am

sighs, i'm hoping for lights that I can use in my room. I saw one called a sun jar that you put out in the sun and it lights up at night. As well as a couple of colored shade chinese lanterns. but i don't want colored light, i want white light i can read or sew by. I can knit in the dark by feel as long as i'm not doing color knitting.

And as far as the laptop and cell phone goes, I'm not concerned about surfing the web for fun come SHTF. I'm concerned about communications. Even an /hour/ of battery time on my mother's laptop or a five minute call for help or to hear my father's voice (assuming his phone in jersey is working) would be very welcome.

As for generators crafty one, there's a solar powered generator with two ac plugs and a built in inverter sold on Amazon.com and emergency essentials has a lot of power system type gadgets. Including solar panels and battery packs.
@doing working on setting up my new computer, installing drivers, antivirus, and other programs.
ShinigamiGurl

Postby mombear » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:54 am

Well then you need the new Coleman Quad lantern, I have one and rechargeable batteries for it. you can find it for $60, and either you start saving D batteries or you get two sets of D rechargeable, so while your using the lantern your charging your spare set. The batteries last a long time, We put fresh batteries in and left the lantern on until the died and it lasted 5 days. Rechargeable only last 3 full days. You can get the solar recharger at Amazon for the batteries.
Your failure to prepare, does not make it an emergency for me!!
mombear

Postby woodlandmonk » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:56 am

Your best bet is to find a little LED reading light that is powered by AA batteries and then a little solar pack that can charge the batteries. The little solar lawn lights that jimprepper333 mentioned will charge AA bateries but will not charge them enough to power a light powerful enough to really read by (especially on those short cloudy winter days when you need the light the most!)

You are going to want at least a 5W solar panel to charge batteries by. A desktop computer is another problem though. They usually have power supplies that require at least 250W and all the way up to 500W of power and to power it you would need a solar panel at least 25% larger than that. Once you add in a battery system for that we are looking at around $1000. You are much better off looking for a old laptop or tablet computer that has a built in battery and only need around 20W-50W of power.

Here is a primer on electricity in regard to solar power and a bunch of other solar power info is here. Feel free to post any questions you have about solar panels or energy and I'll do my best to answer them.
woodlandmonk
Washington Preppers Network

Postby jimprepper333 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:23 pm

I agree with you with the charge not being great on a cloudy day or in the winter, but something is better than nothing, right. They are portable and dont need any fancy skills to hook them up. I also have a solar pack to charge batteries and a couple of small solar panels to keep a couple of marine batteries charged. Not gonna run the house with them, but can keep some lights on and run a laptop to prevent boredom from setting in. Besides, I need my music and keeping my mp3 players charged are of vital importance to me. Grin
jimprepper333

Postby sbsion » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:20 pm

solar........go for it, we'll need away to find our way to the outhouse in the dark without falling in..he he no matter where you get it, we all need some solar light, I got lanterns, flashlights, and spot lights..6-year rechargable batteries
there are no mysteries, only undiscovered truths, find one today

-----------------------------------------------
Food, water and first aid problems?
http://www.oursurvival2012.blogspot.com
sbsion

Postby jreb721 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:27 pm

Outdoor solar lights make good battery chargers but what I do is get the lights people are throwing away because they dont realize they can just change the battery and you have a good light. Another good thing you can do is take the solar cells out and make a charger for a 12volt battery. You can hook 8 of them together and charge a 12volt battery. Good cheap battery chargers for emergencies.
jreb721

Postby woodlandmonk » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:48 pm

I don't know if I'd say that they make "good battery chargers". The solar cells on those cheap lawn lights put out at most 80mA. That is fine for the lawn lights as the power draw form the single LED is only about 10mA but it would take weeks to fully charge a set of drained AA batteries and it wouldn't even make a dent in a large 12v battery.

Also note that to charge a 12v battery you need 14v-18v, not 12v. Most car batty chargers run at at least 6A but you could make a 1A trickle solar charger that puts out 16v to charge a car battery but you would need closer to 140-150 cells strung together to make that work. If you can find that many lawn lights people are tossing then you have some pretty awesome scavenging skills. But it isn't worth buying them even if you can get them for really cheap.

You can find solar cells on ebay for decent prices if you want to save some money and make your own panels. I made a 18v 140 watt panel for about $160. At just over $1/watt, you can't beat that price.

I think those solar lawn lights are great items if you are just learning about solar energy and want to tinker, but
woodlandmonk

Postby VICTOR » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:12 pm

Check out www.superbrighleds.com for converting ordinary fixtures to LED, or pre-built fixtures.

Then for Solar components and how-to info. Check out www.windsun.com (Northern Arizona Wind & Sun). Really competitive pricing and lots of good info.
"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws."
-Plato
VICTOR
Colorado Preppers Network
Colorado Preppers Network

Postby stifn43 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:22 am

jreb721 wrote:Outdoor solar lights make good battery chargers but what I do is get the lights people are throwing away because they dont realize they can just change the battery and you have a good light. Another good thing you can do is take the solar cells out and make a charger for a 12volt battery. You can buy the best solar energy systems hook 8 of them together and charge a 12volt battery. Good cheap battery chargers for emergencies.

Hello jreb721,

Thanks for the post. Can you tell me From where i can find the affordable solar lighting led??
stifn43

Postby rebnavy1862 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:31 am

stifn43 wrote:
jreb721 wrote:Outdoor solar lights make good battery chargers but what I do is get the lights people are throwing away because they dont realize they can just change the battery and you have a good light. Another good thing you can do is take the solar cells out and make a charger for a 12volt battery. You can buy the best solar energy systems hook 8 of them together and charge a 12volt battery. Good cheap battery chargers for emergencies.

Hello jreb721,

Thanks for the post. Can you tell me From where i can find the affordable solar lighting led??

I'm not jreb, but here is a source.

Harbor Freight sells a light and solar charger combo for $30. I have one in every room of my house. Very bright and they are always charged, ready to go during a power outage. The charger goes in the window and recharges every day. They have an on/off switch. I have had them for years with no problems whatsoever.
Reb
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862
Virginia Preppers Network
Virginia Preppers Network

Postby ReadyMom » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:02 am

rebnavy1862 wrote:Harbor Freight sells a light and solar charger combo for $30. I have one in every room of my house. Very bright and they are always charged, ready to go during a power outage. The charger goes in the window and recharges every day. They have an on/off switch. I have had them for years with no problems whatsoever.
Reb

Reb ... This one: Image OR This one: Image ? ? ? ?

They are BOTH on sale, right now! http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsea ... ar+charger
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Solar