• Advertisement

solar panel to charge 12v?

Discussions of Solar Energy

Moderator: watcher

solar panel to charge 12v?

Postby danielfillmore » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:39 pm

Looking for a cheap solar option to charge a 12v deep cycle, to charge a few things (cell, radio) in case of shtf. Also, anybody know of any good options for connecting such devices that would normally plug into a wall outlet to the 12v battery? I am unfamiliar with that whole setup.
danielfillmore

Re: solar panel to charge 12v?

Postby watcher » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:07 pm

#1, on the "cheap" solar panel a good deal is through Harbor Frieght, check them out

#2 you will need a power inverter to change your 12 volt DC to 120 volt AC to be able to plug your normally plugged in the wall equipment.

#3 do some research on how to calculate your needs for draw off as that affects how much battery you need and that tells you how much panel you need. Also you have to account for losses in the inverter and the electrical lines and how often you can recharge.

You can not just jump into alternative power, it takes research and work.
Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire. The former are idealists acting from highest motives for the greatest good of the greatest number. The latter are surly curmudgeons, suspicious and lacking in altruism. But they are more comfortable neighbors than the other sort.
watcher
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby danielfillmore » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:22 pm

thank you watcher. i am casually looking into it now, doing a little research. there seems to be a lot of options out there, making it confusing as I have no experience in the field - so your input is much appreciated
danielfillmore

Postby repsfo » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:20 pm

danielfillmore wrote:Looking for a cheap solar option to charge a 12v deep cycle, to charge a few things (cell, radio) in case of shtf. Also, anybody know of any good options for connecting such devices that would normally plug into a wall outlet to the 12v battery? I am unfamiliar with that whole setup.

IF you are looking for a small portable setup. Get a power-pack/jump-starter, some come with a power inverter (12 to 120V) built in. Sears Auto has a few different sizes. Get the biggest one you can afford. Then buy between 15 and 45Watts of solar panel. no need for a charge controller beacuse the power-pack/jump-starter has one already built in. If you buy a smaller one that does not have the inverter (12 to 120V) built in, get a cigarette lighter version 85-100Watt.
repsfo

Postby danielfillmore » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:18 am

repsfo wrote:
danielfillmore wrote:Looking for a cheap solar option to charge a 12v deep cycle, to charge a few things (cell, radio) in case of shtf. Also, anybody know of any good options for connecting such devices that would normally plug into a wall outlet to the 12v battery? I am unfamiliar with that whole setup.

IF you are looking for a small portable setup. Get a power-pack/jump-starter, some come with a power inverter (12 to 120V) built in. Sears Auto has a few different sizes. Get the biggest one you can afford. Then buy between 15 and 45Watts of solar panel. no need for a charge controller beacuse the power-pack/jump-starter has one already built in. If you buy a smaller one that does not have the inverter (12 to 120V) built in, get a cigarette lighter version 85-100Watt.

AWESOME! thanks so much for this suggestion. this is actually a really good option for me. What exactly is the charge controller?
danielfillmore

Postby MrDanB » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:51 am

Charge controllers are placed in between the solar panel and the battery and they ensure that you don't overcharge the battery and also makes sure you don't draw off the battery. I am getting into small scale solar right now for the same reasons you are. I want to keep a handful of small gadgets going in case the grid goes phooey.
This site: http://www.donrowe.com/ helped me a bunch! Once you figure out how much draw a device takes, it's simple to figure out what you need to keep it charged up. I bought a cigarette lighter plug in type inverter for small gadgets and plan to have the larger panels and a small bank going in the near future for back up lighting etc. There are inverters that have "alligator clips" on them that will clip directly to a battery to draw juice from too. :)
"If you can't see the bright side of life... Try polishing the dull side" :)

You may NOT use any of my published content in any format for any reason without my express written consent!
MrDanB
Washington State Moderator
Washington State Moderator

Postby HighDesertHawk » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:12 am

I have bought several panels and equipment from these folks, quick reliable service. There stuff is better than harbor freight stuff, which I have been replacing.
http://stores.ebay.com/Solar-Penny-Store

we have 6 buildings that are solar powered, we learned if you want power then the HF cheap stuff is just cheap, and wouldn't work unless you changed the angle on them all day long.
Knowledge is preparation.
Best equipment does no good unless you know how to use it.
http://www.roberthicks.shelfreliance.com Thrive Freeze dried food page.
http://www.youtube.com/user/survivalweb?feature=mhum
HighDesertHawk
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby danielfillmore » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:35 pm

repsfo wrote:

How many watts and amps do you think would be sufficient? I am looking at this one:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1260 ... ockType=G4

How can you tell if they have the charge controller?
danielfillmore

Postby repsfo » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:12 pm

danielfillmore wrote:
repsfo wrote:

How many watts and amps do you think would be sufficient? I am looking at this one:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1260 ... ockType=G4

How can you tell if they have the charge controller?

I like that one I'm actually thinking of buying one to replace a smaller 5year old one that I have, instead of replacing the battery in it.

This one has the LED uitlity light. a 12V cigarette outlet to use with a GPS, Cellphone and a USB outlet to charge an iPod and other small devices. A 100W/120V outlet to power small 120V devices. It has a basic charge controller, notice the led's indicating the battery charge condition just above the plug for the wall charger. This wall charger plug can be connected to 15-30-45Watts of solar pannels instead of the wall charger to re-charge it.
repsfo

Postby teren » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:57 am

repsfo wrote:

Hello,
I need to install a solar panels residential but I don't know how to install the solar panel and after that how to charge it??
teren

Postby anita » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:06 am

I have purchased solar panels/battery chargers, etc. from Sundance Solar. I have also gotten solar panels/batteries from Goal Zero. They are expensive, but very easy to use, pretty much idiot proof.

You get what you pay for.
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby Norman11 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:40 pm

WholesaleSolar .com is an employee owned solar supply in Mt Shasta Ca They have ready designed kits in different sizes. So far I have seen NO RECOMMENDATION for a full sine wave inverter to protect sensitive equipment Be careful what you advise.

Norman11
Norman11

Return to Solar