• Advertisement

Need Advice on Freezing Antibiotics

Our Panel of Medical Experts answers questions concerning disaster, pandemic and wilderness medicine

Moderators: TheSurvivalDoctor, littledoc, DrBones

Need Advice on Freezing Antibiotics

Postby RightWingMom » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:10 pm

I've been reading that freezing antibiotics can extend their expiration dates, if not stop them.
IF this is true....what is the BEST way to store them in my freezer?
I currently have them in the freezer, individually stored in Food Saver bags and packed in a Ziploc freezer bag.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
RWM
:shakeyes:
"I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it!" - Cap't. Woodrow Call, Lonesome Dove
http://texasprepper.bunderground.com
RightWingMom
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Re: Need Advice on Freezing Antibiotics

Postby DrBones » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:54 pm

Hi Rightwingmom,

You're right that cooler temperatures will extend shelf life. The potency of most medicines remains high twice as long if stored at 50 degrees than if they were stored at 90 degrees. Dry pills and capsules are okay to freeze, and you could store them as you store food. The important thing is to not allow the medications to develop frost on them, and you can do this if you place them in metal containers with desiccants.

You don't absolutely have to freeze medications to have them last longer than their expiration dates. Dry pills and capsules tested by FEMA and the Department of Defense in the Shelf Life Extension Program were found to be completely effective 2-10 years after their expiration dates. The same isn't true for liquid medications; they lose potency relatively quickly.

Here's my article on expiration dates:
http://www.doomandbloom.net/2011/10/the ... dates.html

Dr. Bones
DrBones
Medical Professional
Medical Professional

Postby RightWingMom » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:16 pm

Dr. Bones,
Thanks for the info. and the link!
:)
"I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it!" - Cap't. Woodrow Call, Lonesome Dove
http://texasprepper.bunderground.com
RightWingMom
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby John Galt 1 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:47 am

Fresh information for freezing antibiotics.

Scientists in the 1940s and 50s tested freezing food ad 0 degrees and 7 degrees fahrenheit for 6 months before measuring vitamin content losses. Food is different from antibiotics since it has a lot of moisture so not an apple to apple comparison but still...

At 7 degrees there was still enough activity to lose up to 30% of some vitamins (especially D and A). Their testing showed that even spending a few months of the 6 month period at 7-10 degrees showed some degradation. I'd suggest keeping any freezer used to store antibiotics at less than 0 degrees and the unopened antibiotics in ziplock bags to minimize moisture.
Talk is cheap, actions count.
John Galt 1

Postby Illini Warrior » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:01 am

John Galt 1 wrote:Fresh information for freezing antibiotics.

Scientists in the 1940s and 50s tested freezing food ad 0 degrees and 7 degrees fahrenheit for 6 months before measuring vitamin content losses. Food is different from antibiotics since it has a lot of moisture so not an apple to apple comparison but still...

At 7 degrees there was still enough activity to lose up to 30% of some vitamins (especially D and A). Their testing showed that even spending a few months of the 6 month period at 7-10 degrees showed some degradation. I'd suggest keeping any freezer used to store antibiotics at less than 0 degrees and the unopened antibiotics in ziplock bags to minimize moisture.

I think Doc Bones answered this 5 years ago ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby rickdun » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:10 pm

Illini Warrior wrote:

Yep, plus it's in his book, "The Survival Medicine Handbook", which I recommend to anybody. :shakeyes:
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby John Galt 1 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:53 pm

Illini Warrior wrote:

Yes but I found the research on different freezing temps to be worth considering.
Talk is cheap, actions count.
John Galt 1

Postby Illini Warrior » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:10 pm

John Galt 1 wrote:
Illini Warrior wrote:

Yes but I found the research on different freezing temps to be worth considering.

yeh, except nobody runs their home freezer at zero degrees - even if it's capable of running at that temp ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby jean11 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:45 am

I wasn't aware that antibiotics could be frozen. The labeling instructions says keep them at 68 to 78 degrees (approx.) This is interesting.
jean11

Return to Medical Experts