• Advertisement

EMPs (Electro Magnetic Pulse)

Post about tips and ideas on preparing for terrorism and other man-made disasters here.

Moderator: medic94

Re: EMPs (Electro Magnetic Pulse)

Postby TRex2 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:24 am

First, the known threats:
EMP is not different than any other magnetic phenomenon. Just because it comes from a nuclear weapon doesn't change the laws of physics. Just because we give it a fancy name doesn't change the laws of physics. Defense against it is done in the same manner radio operators have been defending receivers from interference and damage from nearby EM sources for years. On a larger scale, it is done the same way receiver sites and radar sites and other comm links have been defended from lightning and the effects of EW weapons since the 60's and before.

The EMP effects of nuclear weapons are known from the tests done 50 years ago and the ongoing mathematical modeling and lab studies that have been done since then. As much of the EW work is classified, we don't have direct knowledge of the results of those studies, but we get indirect information. (A change to a formula used by a retired engineer signals a test that didn't go as planned.)

I have posted here about the EMP effects we can expect from exoatmospheric nuclear detonations, and I have linked to the studies which show the reasoning behind those effects.

Then the known countermeasures:
Shielding isn't some dark art. It is used in every complex radio system we build. That it is employed for a sudden pulse in the upper VHF spectrum instead of a series of pulses or a constant barrage of waves in some other spectrum is largely irrelevant. It doesn't change the laws of physics. Whether the shielding is done by a stamped sheet metal part inside of a radio, an aluminum clad room with honeycomb vents and wave trap filters on the accessories panel or by a galvanized steel trash can doesn't change the laws of physics.

The Unknowns?
Mostly what I have stated in the past. We don't know where the nuke will detonate, how efficient it will be at producing gamma rays, or even if it might fail to detonate. Another unknown is workmanship of the persons who build the protective enclosures. That is why I have mentioned several times on here that the most important thing is to keep a smooth outer surface for the EM wave to traverse.

Are we going to be successful at keeping a significant
electronic capability, post EMP?
Who knows?

Do we have a much, much better chance if we take measures
to defend our backup electronic equipment?
Absolutely.

Unknowns?
One of the biggest threats to our post EMP survival is listening to people who dissuade us from defending ourselves. They are in the same category as those who tell us that a gun in the home will only serve to injure or kill our loved ones, and increase the crime in our neighborhood. The unknown is how many people will listen to such naysayers.
Calling Islam a religion isn't much different than calling Nazism or Communism a religion.
Both were also political movements with a religious component, just like Islam.
TRex2

Postby TRex2 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:24 am

daaswampman wrote:
TRex2 wrote:... The results were arguments with people not interested it published studies and without the interest to research them. ... Swamp

I went through some (mostly 2014) of your posting history, and I will
say that, from what I saw, you DO seem to know the medical field.

I hope you will reconsider posting more on that subject.
Calling Islam a religion isn't much different than calling Nazism or Communism a religion.
TRex2

Postby TRex2 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:40 am

daaswampman wrote:Perhaps I missed something in all my reading about EMP, but small items like solar garden lights have very limited wiring (exposure) and may not be damaged!
All I am saying is don't get locked down in your thinking! Multiple options may be better than any self proclaimed experts advice. Swamp

I got a little carried away with the discussion of why I believe the "homemade cages" will offer protection, and didn't address your statement about the "small items like solar garden lights." I guess I had heard too many times that a "pinhole" will let the EMP inside of your shielding, and wanted to set down, for the record, that these waves behave like any other magnetic waves.

It is very true that smaller items are less susceptible to EMP that larger or grid connected items, and I think I conceded, somewhat, on this before. There are some caveats, however. The electronics in these items is likely to be somewhat delicate, when it comes to shocks, because they are not normally connected to anything. Most devices have some protection on any inbound wiring in case of surges and static shocks, and that protection will blunt the impact of an EMP if the item is not connected to long conductors.

Nothing is certain, but lacking any protection from static discharge, I would have concern that even the wiring from the solar panel to the lighting would be sufficient to absorb a shock that would end its life. (It wouldn't be likely to kill the battery, though, so cannibalizing batteries from anything, like this, that fails to survive the pulse shouldn't be ruled out.)

As for studies on EMP, the first link I posted in this thread on Oct 17, 2017 1:38 pm describes, mathematically, how a pulse is generated. I haven't seen any comprehensive papers describing how they are absorbed, but having worked in the field for 40 years, I can look at most circuits and guess the chances of their survival.
TRex2

Military Engine Shipping Container - Ultimate Faraday Cage

Postby Illini Warrior » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:15 am

here's something unique - never saw one of these containers on the war surplus market - looks good for a large Faraday Cage protecting a small gennie or a bunch of gear like a solar array ....

https://prepperbits.com/ultimate-faraday-cage/
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby TRex2 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:36 pm

I will give it a B+ for size, an A for weatherproofing, and a C- for EMP shielding.

The outer surface isn't smooth, so it will cause turbulence in the current passing across the surface, which will induce magnetic pulse waves inside the container. Still, miles ahead of no protection.
TRex2

Previous

Return to Terrorism & other Man made disasters