• Advertisement

Knife Sharpening

Knives and Multi-tools discussions

Re: Knife Sharpening

Postby Bailey1964 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:01 am

The best way to sharpen a knife is to practice practice and then practice some more, when we look at of how a Barber keeps his cut throat razor shaving sharp he uses only a strop and fine paste and he strokes the blade away from the edge which is the opposite way of using a wet stone or at least the way most people use a wet stone.

I have been a plasterer for over 30 years and any plasterer will tell you that their finishing trowel is sharper than any knife you can sharpen on any kind of wet stone, again as with a strop the trowel is drawn across the plaster in the opposite direction that most people would use a wet stone.

I always drag my blades across wet stones and then I strop my blades on an old leather belt I have also stropped on a nylon webbing belt in an emergency which works well too.

For any doubters watch a few youtube videos on sharpening knives on belt sanders every single one of them will show the belt sanding away from the edge and not towards it, All knives come from the manufactures sharpened that way.
Bailey1964

Postby MrDanB » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:34 am

High carbon steel, pick the correct angle for the knife.(kitchen cutlery is ~20degrees, survival knives ~ 25degrees) Sharpen one side of the knife at a time until you see a visible burr the length of the knife. Sharpen the other side until you work up a bead going the other way.Do this 2-3X on EACH side! Switch to fine grit. Repeat. Follow up with a leather strop. You can get these on ebay. Lansky system with rods, clamp and a ton of patience will produce a very sharp blade. Even though I can make a dull knife sharp, I actually prefer to buy cheap knives. I have dozens of utility knives from China freight, Home Depot etc. I sharpen my favorite knives by hand and just use a manual pull thru to touch up the rest. I have more projects than time I guess....
"If you can't see the bright side of life... Try polishing the dull side" :)

You may NOT use any of my published content in any format for any reason without my express written consent!
MrDanB
Washington State Moderator
Washington State Moderator

Postby DVC JACK » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:54 am

Buzz wrote:I spent a lot of years wondering why I couldn't get the edge I wanted so I began to study the art of sharpening. The key is to ALWAYS keep in the forefront of your mind, with every stroke on the stone, that it is all geometry. Absolutely any rolling of the wrist or change in the angle of the blade will tend to round the side you are working on. Say you have a 10 inch blade and a 2 inch wide stone. As you draw the blade down the length and across the stone be very conscious of maintaining the same exact angle. Any change in angle will round that side somewhere along the length of blade and you will have some places that are sharp and somewhere a spot that you can't seem to get sharp at all. That's because that section ended up slightly rounded. Take a look at this >. Both of those lines represent the sides of the blade. You have to have those 2 sides perfectly straight and the angle "right" What angle? The smaller the angle the finer "Razor" edge you will get but you will have to resharpen more often since use will dull it faster. I like 20 degrees.

Work on one side with a circular motion on a coarse stone until you get a bead on the upper edge indicating the metal at the edge has bent upward. Now turn the blade over and do the same exact thing to the other side until you get e bead on the other side. Now oil your medium stone and single stroke the bead off. Then reverse and stroke off any remaining bead on the other side. Don't think more stroking will make it sharper. Remember one bad stroke can ruin all your work.

It's a very zen thing to work at. I find it very calming to allow all my concentration to fall on each stroke. It's all mental. All concentration. On every stroke. One badly done stroke will undo 10 good ones.

Good luck. Keep working at it. You'll get it.

Buzz
Lansky eliminates the guess work. Just saying. :thumbup:
DVC JACK

Postby terrapin » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:47 pm

Buzz wrote:I spent a lot of years wondering why I couldn't get the edge I wanted so I began to study the art of sharpening. The key is to ALWAYS keep in the forefront of your mind, with every stroke on the stone, that it is all geometry. Absolutely any rolling of the wrist or change in the angle of the blade will tend to round the side you are working on. Say you have a 10 inch blade and a 2 inch wide stone. As you draw the blade down the length and across the stone be very conscious of maintaining the same exact angle. Any change in angle will round that side somewhere along the length of blade and you will have some places that are sharp and somewhere a spot that you can't seem to get sharp at all. That's because that section ended up slightly rounded. Take a look at this >. Both of those lines represent the sides of the blade. You have to have those 2 sides perfectly straight and the angle "right" What angle? The smaller the angle the finer "Razor" edge you will get but you will have to resharpen more often since use will dull it faster. I like 20 degrees.

Work on one side with a circular motion on a coarse stone until you get a bead on the upper edge indicating the metal at the edge has bent upward. Now turn the blade over and do the same exact thing to the other side until you get e bead on the other side. Now oil your medium stone and single stroke the bead off. Then reverse and stroke off any remaining bead on the other side. Don't think more stroking will make it sharper. Remember one bad stroke can ruin all your work.

It's a very zen thing to work at. I find it very calming to allow all my concentration to fall on each stroke. It's all mental. All concentration. On every stroke. One badly done stroke will undo 10 good ones.

Good luck. Keep working at it. You'll get it.

Buzz

:thumbup:
Buzz got it right. :shakeyes:

I may hit a nerve. but, here's the truth...
Nobody wants to know how to get it right.
Everybody wants to get it "right now".

Looking for a shortcut...quick and easy.
That just ain't how it works.
I have knives that I have been cleaning deer and hogs, and beef with for over thirty years.
They are as sharp today as they have ever been(shaving razor sharp).
I can butcher an animal, and when I'm done,
just a few strokes on a good whetstone...they're ready to go.

Read Buzz's post.
Then, read it again.
If you really want to get it right.

terp

terp
terrapin

Postby ArnoldBeck » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:39 pm

I'm new in this stuff. Thanx everybody for gteat tips! I found here many useful info.
ArnoldBeck

Postby danthman114 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:04 pm

its all in the angle your sharpening. too steep of an angle it wont get sharp, too shallow it will get sharp but not stay sharp.
danthman114

Previous

Return to Knives and Multi-tools