Solar home work 4 all

Discussions of Solar Energy

Moderator: watcher

Re: Solar home work 4 all

Postby keebler » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:55 pm

keebler

Postby RayMac1963 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:02 pm

Dirk Williams wrote:Already purchasing panels inverters controllers etc etc from Amazon. Think I'm going to do mine a bit differently. I'm thinking I want to dedicate a specific number of panels and apparatus to specific utilities. Although more expensive seems more logical for my pee brain.

Looking at a stand alone set up for freezer/ refrigerator . Another for back up water source. Another for home lighting, hot water controller" I gotta have a hot,hot hot shower every morning, or my back won't straighten out. Anyway I'm halfway to my goal of thirty panels , via purchasing two per month.

And if I can figure it our a stand alone furnace set up. That's 220 , I'm reading a couple books I got on amazon on the subject. No worries if I can't run the heater, I've got a decent amount of wood and a older fire place box in the house.

We are still purchasing one 100 pound propane bottle and filling it monthly. Kind of a hedge.

DW

I like the redundancy, but that sounds like a LOT of extra work Dirk. Just my 2 cents, but have you considered a system with breaker where you can isolate different uses and turn them off.
I can't help but think God is up there right now saying "its time to shake the ol' Etch-A-Sketch and restart humanity again".

My Blog---> http://urbanprepperdiary.blogspot.com
RayMac1963
Michigan Preppers Network

Postby WillBkool » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:20 pm

Actually, if you're getting 30 100-watt panels, breaking them up into several arrays is a good idea. Large amperage charge controllers are expensive, figure out the watt hours of the devices that you want to run and design each battery bank custom for each appliance. I would defintely go with a 24 or 48v system. Hopefully you haven't bought a bunch of 12v equipment yet, but if you have, it can be done. Definitely look at MPPT charge controllers so that you can put the panels in series and lower the amps through the wiring.
Gearing up, one bullet and seed at a time.
P-MAG Panhandle Mutual Assistance Group
670 watts of solar panels, 315 amp hours @ 24 volts battery bank
WillBkool

Postby Dirk Williams » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:17 pm

Guys, that's the problem I know just enough to be dangerous. I'm in the middle of two solar books on my kindle and think I'm starting to grasp it. I know it will be more work, but for me it makes sense to keep it basic and simple. I do not have 30 panels yet, that is the goal at two per month. I could go four per month but want to continue purchasing one 100 pound propane bottle and fill it per month aswell.

My goal is 30 100 watt solar panels and corresponding gear to make it work, and a redundant propane back up generator system. I'm trying to kill two birds with one stone. Ideally we want 10 to 15 100 pound propane tanks.

I made a HUGE blunder on the propane calculation, I was adding gallons, not pounds. Huge difference in terms of calculating long term usage in odd times. I thought I was going to,have 1000 to 1500 gallons , my mistake was that will be pounds of propane rather then gallons. A HUGE screw up.

Thanks guys.

Dirk
Dirk Williams

Postby Fullmoon » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:27 pm

Dirk, perhaps 30 solar panels is too many for starting your project. Thats a lot of panels and I never knew anyone who used more than 12 panels to run a house. Save your money, start out with 10 panels and if you need more you can always add to the array in the future. I ran my house on 10 panels and one single C-60 Trace charge controller hooked into 8 L-16 batteries. I'll admit that my electrical requirements were minimal, computer, TV, stereo, CB and radiophone and when the sunlight was hitting those panels we used the washing machine and hung the clothes up to dry. I used a Servel propane refrigerator and a propane water heater to lessen the electric power needed. Here are 2 pictures of my array, one before I added a rotating pole mount and the other, if you look behind the flowers you can see the back of 2 large panels sitting on the pole mount. Ten panels was too much and eventually I removed 2 panels from the house and set them up on my barn with 2 batteries and a smallerTrace C-40 charge control to power a 12 volt car stereo and a CB radio hardwired directly to the batteries. Do you live in a windy area? If so, look into a small wind powered generator. There are many new designs and the price has come down recently. They spin 24/7 in the right location and can help charge batteries in the winter months when those solar panels don't produce as well.
Solar panel array 001.jpg
Attachments
Pole mount 001.jpg
Fullmoon

Postby Dirk Williams » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:15 pm

The thirty panels would not all be used initially . In my minds eye I see a need for spare panels, for replacement and perhaps other small projects. The fact of the matter is, I see food storage, lighting, water pumping, as separate. How many panels per project is not known yet.

The thirty panels are with the intent of having replacement panels, same size, same shape, simple to trade out with a panel, should one go bad.

Dirk
Dirk Williams

Postby kr105 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:31 pm

Dirk Williams wrote:?.... I see a need for spare panels, for replacement and perhaps other small projects.

Dirk

A former acquaitence had solar on their roof and complained when a panel was damaged from hail. I would also be concerned about damage if living in a tornado or hurricane prone area. Not sure if this would work, but how about a protective housing for the panels under hurricane glass?
kr105
Pennsylvania State Moderator
Pennsylvania State Moderator

Postby Scoutmaster » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:10 pm

Dirk Williams wrote:Guys, that's the problem I know just enough to be dangerous. I'm in the middle of two solar books on my kindle and think I'm starting to grasp it. I know it will be more work, but for me it makes sense to keep it basic and simple. I do not have 30 panels yet, that is the goal at two per month. I could go four per month but want to continue purchasing one 100 pound propane bottle and fill it per month aswell.

My goal is 30 100 watt solar panels and corresponding gear to make it work, and a redundant propane back up generator system. I'm trying to kill two birds with one stone. Ideally we want 10 to 15 100 pound propane tanks.

I made a HUGE blunder on the propane calculation, I was adding gallons, not pounds. Huge difference in terms of calculating long term usage in odd times. I thought I was going to,have 1000 to 1500 gallons , my mistake was that will be pounds of propane rather then gallons. A HUGE screw up.

Thanks guys.

Dirk

Just have a question In place of 30 -100 watt panels, why no go with 12 or 14, 225 or 250 watt panels, they take up less room far easier to mount from what I have found in my own array seem to preform better than the smaller watt panels require less wiring and all around less equipment and far cheaper to ship??
PREPPERS SAVE THE EXCUSES, IT'S NOT ABOUT HAVING TIME, IT'S ABOUT MAKING TIME, IF IT MATTERS YOU WILL HAVE TIME
Every one has priorities, different for each of us, main reasons most of us can not form a group that will last our priorities are all different so are you. REMEMBER, IF YOUR PREP PRIORITIES ARE LOWER THEN THE PEOPLE YOU CAN'T WORK WITH, THEY MIGHT MAKE IT AND YOU WON'T, DON'T BLAME THEM FOR NOT OFFERING YOU HELP LATER, WHEN YOU FAIL LATER AND YOUR IN TROUBLE. BLAME YOUR PRIORITIES.
Scoutmaster

Postby archerytech1 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:56 pm

Rgearhead wrote:Hi my solar friends.. i was in a solar black hole to... then i found out just one weak link and your system is nuttered..one blogger who is a RVer helped a lot, be sure their is no weak links,Bob is a retired electrical engineer who traves(lives) in his RV with his wife and has no generator..soo here is some home work if you will, google handy man bob blog.... or something like RVer handy man bob.. and when you find him READ ALL HIS BLOGS,, he figured out small systems, makes them work,, had to it's what they live on, pay attention to when he speaks wire size and how a solar charger controler should work, most solar chargers might only be bringing a battery bank up to 70% but showing full... was a real eye opener 4 me .. if you check it out please report back,k

Thanks man. Now I have another $200 piece of equipment on my "to buy" list. Darned Trimetric battery monitor. :) :(
For real, thanks though. Good reads!
archerytech1

Postby Rgearhead » Wed May 10, 2017 5:26 pm

going on 4 years, time to check my battery's :) water again

Rgearhead

Previous

Return to Solar