• Advertisement

Organic pest repellents?

Gardening tips, questions and information here

Moderator: mmpaints

Re: Organic pest repellents?

Postby Fullmoon » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:42 am

Bugs aren't too bad in my area but in the past I have used an organic product called Safer's Soap. Mixed it with water and used a spray bottle to apply it and those bugs were gone like right now. Only had to apply it once. Several years ago I had some type of inch worms hatch out on a plum tree and they devoured all the leaves on one branch before I noticed them. Applied the Safers Soap to the remaining leaves and all the worms fell to the ground and I have not had any problems since then. The soap solution coats the critters so they can't breath.
Fullmoon

Postby pelenaka » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:38 am

I plant twice as many Marigold plants as I do vegetable plants.
Also nasturtium in hanging baskets that I hang in fruit trees, and trellis in with climbing veggies. Nasturtium can also be planted along side ground vines such as pumpkin for bug control.

For me my hue issue is blight early & late. I've tried all the organic so called solutions.
pelenaka
New York Preppers Network
New York Preppers Network

Postby FussyOldHen » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:06 pm

The best repellent is healthy soil that produces healthy plants. Weak plants give off an odor or something that draws pests. They feed well on the plants, reproduce, and you have even more next year.
FussyOldHen

Postby Fullmoon » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:45 pm

Nasturtium works !! You can eat the flowers too.
Fullmoon

Postby IceFire » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:59 pm

Nasturtium, marigold, calendula, and if you have potatoes, plant petunias with your potatoes...they will pull the potato beetles away from your potatoes. Eggplants will also draw potato beetles away from your potatoes...the beetles will focus on the eggplants (which doesn't seem to hurt the eggplants any.) I also use diatomaceous earth (DE) on my greens...it will scratch the exoskeletons of the bugs, causing them to dehydrate and die. Just be sure to use a mask when you use the DE, as you do NOT want to be inhaling it.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby charlie23 » Mon May 01, 2017 6:21 am

RVAprepper2319 wrote:Our garden is starting to have problems with bugs and pests and such and My wife doesnt want to use any chemical commercial pesticides.

Does anyone have any tips for keeping bugs off or killing them organically? I've looked through a couple stores and didnt really find much.

Thanks! :D

Hello RVAprepper2319,

Make sure you really have bed bugs, not fleas, ticks or other insects.Don't panic!
It can be difficult to eliminate bed bugs, but it’s not impossible. Don’t throw out all of your things because most of them can be treated and saved. Throwing stuff out is expensive, may spread the bed bugs to other people's homes and could cause more stress.
Think through your treatment options. Don’'t immediately reach for the spray can.
Reduce the number of hiding places Clean up the clutter.
charlie23

Postby IceFire » Mon May 01, 2017 7:29 pm

Charlie23....he doesn't have BED bugs, he has GARDEN bugs!
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby mike11 » Fri May 26, 2017 8:03 am

RVAprepper2319 wrote:Our garden is starting to have problems with bugs and pests controland such and My wife doesnt want to use any chemical commercial pesticides.

Does anyone have any tips for keeping bugs off or killing them organically? I've looked through a couple stores and didnt really find much.

Hello RVAprepper2319,
Try pest prevention first.
Remove sources of food, water and shelter.
Store food in sealed plastic or glass containers. Garbage containing food scraps should be placed in tightly covered trash cans. Remove garbage regularly from your home.
Fix leaky plumbing and don't let water accumulate anywhere in the home. Don't let water collect in trays under your house plants or refrigerator. Don't leave pet food and water out overnight.
Clutter provides places for pests to breed and hide and makes it hard to get rid of them. Get rid of things like stacks of newspapers, magazines, or cardboard.
mike11

Postby rebnavy1862 » Fri May 26, 2017 9:30 am

mike11 wrote:
RVAprepper2319 wrote:Our garden is starting to have problems with bugs and pests controland such and My wife doesnt want to use any chemical commercial pesticides.

Hello RVAprepper2319,
Try pest prevention first.
Remove sources of food, water and shelter.
Store food in sealed plastic or glass containers. Garbage containing food scraps should be placed in tightly covered trash cans. Remove garbage regularly from your home.
Fix leaky plumbing and don't let water accumulate anywhere in the home. Don't let water collect in trays under your house plants or refrigerator. Don't leave pet food and water out overnight.
Clutter provides places for pests to breed and hide and makes it hard to get rid of them. Get rid of things like stacks of newspapers, magazines, or cardboard.

He was talking about his garden. I know RVA personally and I don't believe he gardens in his house. :shock:
Reb
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862
Virginia Preppers Network
Virginia Preppers Network

Postby SonyaCarmody » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:55 am

Organic pest repellents are always beneficial to to use as they can give a healthy extermination of all types of bugs and pests.
SonyaCarmody

Postby flick456 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:57 am

Hello..
I am looking for Organic pest control service and I am too irritated by this problem, so please anyone suggest me some solutions?
flick456

Previous

Return to Gardening