• Advertisement

Best Water Filter?

Discussions about water storage, filtration, purification and procurement

Best Water Filter?

Postby KatherineM » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:48 am

I'm considering getting a set of three Royal Berkey water filters.

I have read online that there was a problem with some of the filters not working and for a few hundred dollars for each system, plus the fact that you can not put a price tag on having a pure water source in an emergency, I am curious if this problem has been resolved or if there is a better system on the market.
KatherineM

Re: Best Water Filter?

Postby pastornator » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:26 am

I've come to learn after studying this prep stuff for about 10 years that there are always detractors for most every item or technique that someone else might find useful.

While there are competing water units for the Berkey, I've not found any that are "better" just others that do the same task in a roundabout way.

Also, there are two different types of filters for the Berkey and the original style "black" seem to be the way to go over the newer ceramic. I would stock spare parts if it were me (dispensor nozzle, extra filters, gaskets, etc.).

Looking to get my own Berkey very soon (will replace a faucet mount filter that is primarily good for filtering already potable water at considerable expense). The cost in the Berkey is up front in the purchase price versus down the road in filter costs, broken parts, etc.

For BOB use, I have the Seychelle Advanced water straw.

http://www.amazon.com/Seychelle-1-50301 ... ater+Straw
pastornator

Postby Fenix » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:34 pm

pastornator wrote:I've come to learn after studying this prep stuff for about 10 years that there are always detractors for most every item or technique that someone else might find useful.

While there are competing water units for the Berkey, I've not found any that are "better" just others that do the same task in a roundabout way.

Also, there are two different types of filters for the Berkey and the original style "black" seem to be the way to go over the newer ceramic. I would stock spare parts if it were me (dispensor nozzle, extra filters, gaskets, etc.).

Looking to get my own Berkey very soon (will replace a faucet mount filter that is primarily good for filtering already potable water at considerable expense). The cost in the Berkey is up front in the purchase price versus down the road in filter costs, broken parts, etc.

For BOB use, I have the Seychelle Advanced water straw.

http://www.amazon.com/Seychelle-1-50301 ... ater+Straw

Why would you have a filter that is designed to only be used to clean tap water in your BOB?
You're black. The're white. This ain't Hockey!
No, you may not quote me for any book, or use any of my posts on this topic or any other for any reason without my express written permission.
Fenix
Wisconsin State Moderator
Wisconsin State Moderator

Postby condomain » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:42 pm

KatherineM wrote:I'm considering getting a set of three Royal Berkey water filters.

I have read online that there was a problem with some of the filters not working and for a few hundred dollars for each system, plus the fact that you can not put a price tag on having a pure water source in an emergency, I am curious if this problem has been resolved or if there is a better system on the market.

I would suggest instead this

http://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-SP181-Emer ... B004TZ86M6

it is by far the best filtration system I have come across. I have bought and used many different kinds of water filters over the years.

I bought 10 of the above, gave a few to family and friends.
condomain

Postby ARDon » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:39 pm

I have the "ESP Outback Plus" is a gravity-powered system that purifies water from almost any fresh or moving water source, rugged and durable, it is designed to be used not only during emergencies but for daily use when municipal systems are compromised or in undeveloped areas where systems are not available. It is currently used by Peace Corp, rescue, relief and religious organizations in Latin America, Africa and Asia and throughout the world. It is currently used by such organizations as the U.S. Government, Red Cross, Youth Mission, Boy Scouts of America, Mormon Church (LDS Church), NW Hard Rain Expeditions and a multitude of Local Fire Departments.

The OB-25NF is a four stage gravity powered water purification system. It has a 2 gallon upper and a 5 gallon lower chamber. The purified water is delivered through a spigot in the lower chamber. It has a production rate of up to 6 - 12 gallons per day.

The OB-25NF effectively removes bacteria at 99.9999%, cysts at 99.99% and virus at 99.99%. The system's final stage a mixed media filter removes unwanted organic matter, pesticides, herbicides and many other unwanted contaminates. The Outback Purification System comes complete and ready to operate with: 1 Two-Gallon Bucket, 1 Five-Gallon Bucket, Pre-Filter Net, Pre-Filter Sleeve, 1 Filter Connector Assembly, 1 Spigot Assembly, 1 Nano Pre-Filter and 1 Mixed Media Filtration Cartridge - enough to purify 1800 gallons of water.

The Outback Purification System comes complete and ready to operate with: 1 Two-Gallon Bucket, 1 Five-Gallon Bucket, Pre-Filter Net, Pre-Filter Sleeve, 1 Filter Connector Assembly, 1 Spigot Assembly, 1 Nano Pre-Filter and 1 Mixed Media Filtration Cartridge - enough to purify 1800 gallons of water.
http://espwaterproducts.com/emergency-p ... relief.htm
Attachments
005.JPG
006.JPG
007.JPG
009.JPG
ARDon

Postby KatherineM » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:24 am

My long term water sources are rain water, as I prefer it for washing hair and such, and a river.

However, purification for safety reasons just can not be underestimated.

I'm hoping for the bottled water and rain water to hold out, but the fact is that you just can not store enough for a large amount of people.

River water would be last resort, but I still need to be sure that if it came down to it, that I could purify it for any use I need.

I'm more concerned with purity, rather than looks, but I do admit to liking the sleek look of the Berkey systems. My family drinks a lot of tea, coffee and other things, so we go through a lot of water, really quickly. Plus, we would need it for bathing and other things too.

Would there be an advantage to multiple filtration systems?

Say I boil the water first, filter it with one of the bucket style systems above and then run it through a Berkey system or some other system?

Granted that would take additional fuel use, but you just can not be too safe when it comes to a clean water supply.
KatherineM

Postby pastornator » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:30 am

Fenix wrote:Why would you have a filter that is designed to only be used to clean tap water in your BOB?

I use the water filter at my home to make sure that I am not getting any extra "stuff" in my potable drinking water. Learned that lesson well after living with city water for years. Almost everyone we knew suffered kidney stones. We didn't... The Seychelle is for the BOB, and the Berkey for home use with our well now that we are back on well water, plus the Berkey will filter whatever water we gather if the well is not available, but of course would never travel well in a BOB.. :shakeno:
pastornator

Postby AdamM » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:40 pm

These are all great suggestions for water filters for or in an emergency situation. But there are better ones on the market that are and can be used on any water source, such as a portable reverse osmosis water filter, that is used with a pump. These portable water filters are quite expensive, around $700 I believe, but these are by far the best filters for portable use and emergency use as it will remove virtually everything in the water.
AdamM

Postby KatherineM » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:38 pm

AdamM wrote:These are all great suggestions for water filters for or in an emergency situation. But there are better ones on the market that are and can be used on any water source, such as a portable reverse osmosis water filter, that is used with a pump. These portable water filters are quite expensive, around $700 I believe, but these are by far the best filters for portable use and emergency use as it will remove virtually everything in the water.

The difference between "virtually anything" and something could well be life or death.

I really hate the taste of water that has been purified with those tablets you find in survival stores and in general, I am pretty picky about flavor and quality.

Price is not an issue. I would totally lose it in a bad situation if I did not have appropriate water supplies for any length of time.
KatherineM

Postby ARDon » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:14 pm

I done a ton of research on portable water purification systems for 3 months before I choose the ESP Outback Plus. If the Peace Corp uses these exclusively in 3rd world countries were the water is in horrible conditions it has to be a very good filtering system. When I placed my order with them I've talked with one of the nice personal with ESP and were telling me all the different organization's that use their portable water purification system including our own U.S. Government. Here are some other different organizations that use ESP's Outback Plus: U.S. Government, Red Cross, Youth Mission, Boy Scouts of America, Mormon Church (LDS Church), NW Hard Rain Expeditions and a multitude of Local Fire Departments. Not counting relief and religious organizations in Latin America, Africa and Asia and throughout the world including the Peace Corp.
ARDon

Postby KatherineM » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:59 pm

ARDon wrote:I done a ton of research on portable water purification systems for 3 months before I choose the ESP Outback Plus. If the Peace Corp uses these exclusively in 3rd world countries were the water is in horrible conditions it has to be a very good filtering system. When I placed my order with them I've talked with one of the nice personal with ESP and were telling me all the different organization's that use their portable water purification system including our own U.S. Government. Here are some other different organizations that use ESP's Outback Plus: U.S. Government, Red Cross, Youth Mission, Boy Scouts of America, Mormon Church (LDS Church), NW Hard Rain Expeditions and a multitude of Local Fire Departments. Not counting relief and religious organizations in Latin America, Africa and Asia and throughout the world including the Peace Corp.

It is nice that they use this in third world countries because it is a cheap and portable system, but I'm first world spoiled and am aiming to maintain a standard of living that is well above that of the third world. That includes not only purity standards, but that of flavor as well.

Expense does not always equal quality, however, and this system could be what I am looking for.

I think a test is in order.
KatherineM

Postby ARDon » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:50 am

you need to go to their web site, go through it thoroughly to understand how this company operates as a whole & types of water purification systems them actually do. http://espwaterproducts.com/
They are a California based company and like I mention I done a whole lot of research on portable water purification systems and after taking with many I settled with ESP. A water purification system doesn't have to be a high dollar system for what it should do to have safe potable water.
ARDon

Postby Illini Warrior » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:33 am

ARDon wrote:you need to go to their web site, go through it thoroughly to understand how this company operates as a whole & types of water purification systems them actually do. http://espwaterproducts.com/
They are a California based company and like I mention I done a whole lot of research on portable water purification systems and after taking with many I settled with ESP. A water purification system doesn't have to be a high dollar system for what it should do to have safe potable water.

one of the advantages of going the non-ceramic filter route is the overall availability of the filters .... almost all the filters that ESP offers are American made and eazy to access .... with the ceramic you have the Berkley or Monolithic ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby Myakka » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:50 am

"BEST" is pretty subjective.

The ones that walmart sells to go on your tap are best because they are integrated into your house water without any extra steps (beyond replacing filters)

I have made a 5 gallon bucket 3 stage water filter. (made 3 so far). It is best because I made it myself, it works by using sand and charcoal, things I can dig up or make.

I own a Katadyn Base Camp gravity filter. It is best because it is highly portable, and works on gravity so I can hang it and let it do the work.

I also keep Frontier straw filters in my Get-Home-Bags. They are best because they are the size of a fat straw, so I can keep them with me everywhere.

The specific situation you intend on using the filter in will determine the over-all style you need. If you mean for the home or BOL, the inline ones work in normal times, and the 5 gallons like the one ARDon suggested, or the home-made ones are great in emergency. If you mean for several people while in the woods, then a gravity filter is good. And if you mean with you no matter what, then get a staw style. If you want to be ready for whatever, get a combination.
[i]"Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"
[/i]

Skills beats Stuff!
Myakka
Florida Preppers Network
Florida Preppers Network

Postby KatherineM » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:22 pm

Myakka wrote:"BEST" is pretty subjective.

The ones that walmart sells to go on your tap are best because they are integrated into your house water without any extra steps (beyond replacing filters)

I have made a 5 gallon bucket 3 stage water filter. (made 3 so far). It is best because I made it myself, it works by using sand and charcoal, things I can dig up or make.

I own a Katadyn Base Camp gravity filter. It is best because it is highly portable, and works on gravity so I can hang it and let it do the work.

I also keep Frontier straw filters in my Get-Home-Bags. They are best because they are the size of a fat straw, so I can keep them with me everywhere.

The specific situation you intend on using the filter in will determine the over-all style you need. If you mean for the home or BOL, the inline ones work in normal times, and the 5 gallons like the one ARDon suggested, or the home-made ones are great in emergency. If you mean for several people while in the woods, then a gravity filter is good. And if you mean with you no matter what, then get a staw style. If you want to be ready for whatever, get a combination.

I need a filter that is going to let me filter rain water and another that lets me filter well water and another that will let me filter river water.

I figure that it would be best to have systems dedicated to each.

I have a rain water cistern, a river on part of my property and at another location, I intend to install a well.

I'm hoping to stick to rain water if at all possible and use river and well water if I have to and keep reserves of bottled water in the event of emergency, say there is a nuclear or other terrible contamination or if sewage, dead animals or pollution and disease somehow render the other supplies unsafe.
KatherineM

Next

Return to Water