• Advertisement

Best Water Filter?

Discussions about water storage, filtration, purification and procurement

Re: Best Water Filter?

Postby hollyrbraswell » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:32 am

There are a lots of good filters are available in market.
hollyrbraswell

Postby Gunns » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:45 am

The previous posts are all trolls.
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby IceFire » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:52 pm

Gunns wrote:The previous posts are all trolls.

They have been removed.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby BigOrange75 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:25 pm

What about swimming pool water? is there a good filter for it? What information I have found is all over the map. Everything from it normally has too much chemical to be removed easily to you could almost drink it straight. When the day comes my main plan is to use the pool water for the toilets and maybe as wash water and such. But have been trying to get some reliable info to use as potable water. Anybody have an opinion?
BigOrange75
Tennessee Preppers Network

Postby TRex2 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:23 pm

For flushing or washing, any charcoal filter will suffice. For drinking also, if it is a good quality charcoal filter. If the pool was recently filled and treated, you could drink it straight, although that isn't the most healthy thing in the long run. By "day thirty" you will be dealing with a lot more contamination. Do you have a strategy for replenishing it? If you are collecting dew/rain from the roof, all you need is a good sub-micron ceramic or hollow fiber membrane filter like the ones used in the Berkey system (those aren't the only choice, just an example).
Calling Islam a religion isn't much different than calling Nazism or Communism a religion.
Both were also political movements with a religious component, just like Islam.
TRex2

Postby dmwalsh568 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:20 am

My opinion is that most folks use algicides as well as bleach to keep their pools from turning green and I'm not sure I'd trust any filters to remove the algicides. Maybe the high end filters like Berkey black filters, but personally I'd either distill it before drinking it, or just use it as gray water for plants or to stop sewer gasses from coming out of empty toilet or sink traps.

Reference: http://www.berkeyfilters.com/berkey-ans ... fications/
dmwalsh568

Postby TRex2 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:42 am

dmwalsh568 wrote:My opinion is that most folks use algicides as well as bleach to keep their pools from turning green and I'm not sure I'd trust any filters to remove the algicides. Maybe the high end filters like Berkey black filters, but personally I'd either distill it before drinking it, or just use it as gray water for plants or to stop sewer gasses from coming out of empty toilet or sink traps.

Well, that was part of the reason I said that, for drinking,
you should use a quality filter.
I can't find any definite statement, but I would bet,
the Berkey filters use charcoal, or something like charcoal.
Calling Islam a religion isn't much different than calling Nazism or Communism a religion.
TRex2

Postby dmwalsh568 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:01 pm

TRex2 wrote:
dmwalsh568 wrote:My opinion is that most folks use algicides as well as bleach to keep their pools from turning green and I'm not sure I'd trust any filters to remove the algicides. Maybe the high end filters like Berkey black filters, but personally I'd either distill it before drinking it, or just use it as gray water for plants or to stop sewer gasses from coming out of empty toilet or sink traps.

Well, that was part of the reason I said that, for drinking,
you should use a quality filter.
I can't find any definite statement, but I would bet,
the Berkey filters use charcoal, or something like charcoal.

None of the chemicals listed as algicides in the wikpedia entry https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algaecide were listed on the black Berkey filter spec page I linked above. That makes me concerned.

The one thing I do know for sure about the black Berkey filters is that they aren't just filled with activated charcoal like some filters (like the Brita filters.) Here is part of a FAQ I found on the filters:

http://www.bigberkeywaterfilters.com/he ... urces/faq/
What are the Black Berkey elements made out of and how do they work?

Without getting too complex, several methodologies are utilized by the Black Berkey purification elements. The elements are composed of a formulation of more than a half dozen different media types constructed into a very fine matrix creating millions of micro-fine pores. The pores are so small that pathogenic bacteria, cysts, parasites, sediment and sedimentary minerals are not able to pass through them. The media formulation both "absorbs" some contaminates and "adsorbs" other contaminates. Next, heavy metals ions (mineral molecules) are extracted through an Ion exchange process where they are essentially electrically bonded to the media. Finally, our filter elements are designed such that each water molecule can take several minutes to pass through the filter elements whereas these molecules passing through other filtration systems pass through those filters in literally microseconds. The longer the water molecules are in contact with any media, the greater the removal of the various contaminates.

So while it's probably safe to drink pool water filtered by a black Berkey filter, since it's not listed I'm not willing to risk it in all but the worst circumstances. I've got access to a river and other water sources that aren't treated at all that I do trust the black Berkey filters to work with.

But if the pool water is your only source then you have to weigh the risks unless someone can find information that it will remove the algicides, or that there is another filter that says it definitely will remove them.
dmwalsh568

Postby rickdun » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:15 pm

Like many others here, I have various different filtration systems, big burky, lifestraw, alexapourpro, sawyer, etc.. But here's one run by solar panels, but is very expensive:

https://www.treehugger.com/solar-techno ... rator.html
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby TRex2 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:01 am

dmwalsh568 wrote:My opinion is that most folks use algicides as well as bleach to keep their pools from turning green and I'm not sure I'd trust any filters to remove the algicides. ...

The one thing I do know for sure about the black Berkey filters is that they aren't just filled with activated charcoal like some filters (like the Brita filters.) Here is part of a FAQ I found on the filters:

http://www.bigberkeywaterfilters.com/he ... urces/faq/
What are the Black Berkey elements made out of and how do they work?
So while it's probably safe to drink pool water filtered by a black Berkey filter, since it's not listed I'm not willing to risk it in all but the worst circumstances. I've got access to a river and other water sources that aren't treated at all that I do trust the black Berkey filters to work with.

But if the pool water is your only source then you have to weigh the risks unless someone can find information that it will remove the algicides, or that there is another filter that says it definitely will remove them.

Well, I was making the assumption that the inquiry was discussing using pool water in an emergency, and I guess I am to be faulted for making an assumption...

That said, I have some basic chemistry background (on par with a year of normal college chemistry) and some dealings with public policy. Based on the fact that these algaecides are approved to use in pools and that most pools get drained into the environment, the chemicals are not likely to be too dangerous.

I did a bit more research, and found this:
http://www.poolproducts.com/blog/pet-po ... icals-pets
Algaecides, Antifreeze and clarifiers are not considered harmful when they are properly diluted in the pool water. When they are not diluted or broken down into the water they are corrosive and dangerous.

The article is discussing pet safety around pools, and while they warn several times about the chlorine, this is saying that algaecides are not dangerous in moderate amounts. OTOH, if you are drinking out of a pool for several days, you are ingesting a lot of this water.
Hmmm.
There is a good resource (for a lot of stuff about water) here:
https://omegamanjournal.wordpress.com/
you can see his qualifications here:
https://omegamanjournal.wordpress.com/2 ... ink-about/
(Note the HTTPS in his address - this guy seems "kinda serious")

The author specifically addresses pool water here:
https://omegamanjournal.wordpress.com/2 ... ing-water/
and there are links from that article to several other of his articles.
If you plan to use pool water as a primary back up, I would recommend reading all of the linked articles too. (Frankly, I plan to read all of them, just because water is such an important subject.)
TRex2

Postby dmwalsh568 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:36 pm

Thanks trex, I'll check out those links. I was just being paranoid and trying to say that pool water would be my last choice for a water source not that I'd tell people to not use it if that's all you have.
dmwalsh568

Postby daaswampman » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:25 pm

Be very careful and test every filter. Every Black Berkey filter I have used (eight), have separated at the base plate! Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby BigOrange75 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:30 am

TREX
You are assuming correctly. I remember my 4th grade teacher making the whole class giggle when she explained what happens when you "assume". Anyway, This would be an shtf or emergency situation to use as drinking water, otherwise using as gray water would be no big deal. I was looking for a better answer but looks like there is not just one answer. a lot would depend on which chemicals were used and the concentration levels.
BigOrange75

Previous

Return to Water