• Advertisement

What would you do ? (tracked by dogs)

Discuss general wilderness survival topics here

Moderator: medic72

Re: What would you do ?

Postby AlabamaPoleCat » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:41 pm

oldasrocks wrote:Shoot the sheriff and eat the dogs.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I knew there was a reason I liked you Old... As soon as I read the title I thought shoot the SOB holding the leash.
Revelations: " Good guys win Bad guys lose"

"One of the penalties of not participating in politics is that you will be governed by your inferiors." Plato
Sheep Dogs Unite!

Your god with his hammer loses the final battle. My God wins the final battle. Any questions?
AlabamaPoleCat
Alabama Preppers Network
Alabama Preppers Network

Re: What would you do ? (tracked by dogs)

Postby AlabamaPoleCat » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:49 pm

Dirk Williams wrote:Dogs CAN and daily track suspects on cement, blacktop, into water and out of water. The real trick is to wear out the dog handler. When the handler is tired, the track is over . Keep in mind, distance and speed are your friend.

DW

Yeap you got it DW the human is the weak link, Hale's bells dogs can smell cancer cells long before any medical equipment we humans have can find it. Dogs are just domesticated wolves, they are made to smell and track for days... humans not so much.
Revelations: " Good guys win Bad guys lose"

"One of the penalties of not participating in politics is that you will be governed by your inferiors." Plato
Sheep Dogs Unite!

Your god with his hammer loses the final battle. My God wins the final battle. Any questions?
AlabamaPoleCat
Alabama Preppers Network
Alabama Preppers Network

Postby Lockjaw » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:02 pm

Did any of you watch that show on natgeo where some military guy who was experienced and trained at evading detection tried to evade various tracking units of military's around the world?

He was caught more than he escaped, and he has far better training. I think if you want to get away, you got to go where the handler won't, which is probably a swamp.

Getting into a car would be the best way to get away. If no car, then I'd head for water and go as far as possible, assuming weather permitted.
Lockjaw

Postby sageprice » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:05 pm

you won't need a dog to track some who hasn't bathed is weeks. :rofl: maybe a gas mask. Still, I have heard strong perfume can throw good dogs, how about red pepper?
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network

Postby Pedro wyoming » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:04 am

sageprice wrote:...how about red pepper?

How many times would you snort red pepper?
This may work once. The dog learns that the pepper burns and will not make the same mistake twice. Also, a dog smells multiple scents and if the pepper does not tear up his nose, he will still be able to detect the scent being tracked.

pW
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change that survives.” Charles Darwin
Iמנא ,מנא, תקל, ופרסי
אלוהים
Pedro wyoming
Wyoming Preppers Network
Wyoming Preppers Network

Postby Vetmike » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:03 am

Find a fatal tunnel and string treble hooks attached to fishing line randomly starting just inside the tunnel.
Vetmike

Postby Suncat » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:35 am

So I read the OP and if the dogs are close enough to shoot, not shooting to avoid detection is a moot point.. the dogs are already there giving away your position. If you have the equipment and are practiced at it, archery would give you a way to take out the dogs with a quieter signature than a gun, but what's the point. The dogs are giving you away just as much as a gun shot. So shoot the dogs and move.
Suncat

"Real feminine nature isn't weak or fawning. It isn't about wearing frilly dresses or reading romance novels.
Real femininity is strong, confident, vibrant. But it is strong, confident and vibrant in a uniquely feminine way.
~Mary Beth Bonacci
Suncat

Postby NorthernEagle » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:50 am

I would choose to face them on my own terms.In a way that makes the odds be on my side. I would set up a fishook-ambush. ( an ambush that uses your own trail as a means to know where your enemy will appear. You simply walk in a curve that is roughly a half circle and go backwards parallel to your own trail, then find useful shooting position. It is useful in winter and when tracked by dogs.) Remember too be well concealed and possibly have cover. Before choosing to ambush change your course up against the wind. It wont throw of the dogs but it will make the dogs not sense you in your ambush position, at least until it too late. Dont attempt this if there is no wind. You risk being made by the dogs. Make the dogs priority. If you have more shooters than one, agree on targets before hand. Fire on targets at the same time for no more then 6-10 secs. Retreat. Repeat if needed. Even if the group chasing you is alot larger than your group they will reconsider their options after a couple of hits like this. I do realize this is somewhat merciless but whatever it takes too protect you family.
NorthernEagle

Postby Vetmike » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:06 pm

In the military dog teams are usually teamed up with an infantry squad or platoon. That is a lot of people to take on. Most tracking dogs will only work for their handler so taking him/her out may be the best choice. The dogs could be released and may track on their own. If that happens wait until the dogs are separated from the unit then kill them.
Vetmike

Postby tedmi1 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:41 am

:wave: Carrying a bone in your pocket :wave: :clap:
tedmi1

Postby slanted » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:55 am

This is just one reason, of many, to have subsonic ammo and a silencer on a .22lr autoloader. The dogs really aint much of a threat. Get up in a tree, atop a house and shoot them all. It's the armed men behind them that are the threat.

If you can get up into a tree, but have no gun, remove a boot, dangle it by the laces. When a dog grabs it, hoist him up, cut his throat, cave in his skull, gouge his eyes, rip out his larnyx.. repeat as needed.

In AZ, back in like 1991 an escaped inmate kept 300 cops off of him for weeks. He said that running various sized figure 8's messes up tracker dogs. Some pepper, inside a bit of food, hidden where the handlers wont detect it before the dog grabs it, will mess up a dog for hours.
slanted

Postby headhunter » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:00 am

I'm old. When a much younger ex-rifle student joined the Marines, he became a scout/spotter/ sniper. Yes, he wears the SS (scout sniper) tattoo. I asked him about tracking dogs. He replied we carry a can of self defense pepper spray and spray our back trail. Since dog's noses are so sensitive it can really screw them up. I've owned dogs for half a century, please, don't do this for SKG(Shi_s Kicks, and Giggles).
headhunter

Postby sageprice » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:59 pm

found out my neighbor was a military dog handler. He confirmed cheap perfume screws up a dogs nose for several hours. plus, perfume is mostly alcohol, make s
a good fire bomb trap.
sageprice

Previous

Return to Wilderness Survival