• Advertisement

storing water 2 liter bottles

Discussions about water storage, filtration, purification and procurement

storing water 2 liter bottles

Postby moish » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:33 pm

i store emergency use water in well cleaned out 2 liter soda bottles in my pantry, i have a very large walk-in patry with an opaque glass-inset door so it stays pretty dark in there most of the time but not pitch

while i do clean out the bottled very well with a few drops of bleach and water before filling them with water to keep.
i have been wondering some of my bottled are clear and some are green tinted

over time would the green tinted be a better choice, while it would keep some more light out of the bottle it also keeps me from seeing the water clearing, with out pouring it out of the bottle, to check for long term cleanliness

any opinions or insight?
moish

Re: storing water 2 liter bottles

Postby jean11 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:59 pm

Moish, There are a lot of folks on this forum that store emergency water in 2 liter pop bottles. Much has been written on this subject and you can find it in the Board Index under the water section. I store my stash of "water" pop bottles in a dark cardboard box in a store room outside. I don't want them contaminated with algae so before I cap them closed I put 3-4 drops of bleach in each one. So far my system is working well. The color of the bottle does not seem to matter if kept in a dark place.
jean11

Postby repsfo » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:03 am

I store extra water in Club Soda bottles that way it has never had any sugar or other substances in it We also store some of these in the freezer to fill the empty space. It has been said that city water does not need the additional bleach, however I also add it.
repsfo

Postby popcandave » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:20 pm

I have around 100 coke 2 liter soda bottles stored in my basement.
Been there for a year in the cool dark and all are ok. I agree with
the earlier post where the tint of the bottle doesn't make a
difference.
popcandave
West Virginia Preppers Network
West Virginia Preppers Network

Postby ARDon » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:13 pm

I like using 1 gal milk jugs, I have 4 per milk crate, with 12 crates full. I like the milk crates because they stack good and you can grab a crate if need be. I store my well water filled jugs in a cool dark place also.
ARDon

Postby condomain » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:17 pm

No problem with that as long as they are well cleaned, as you indicated.

The milk containers, not so good. I have never really found it possible to completely clean them so that they do not smell of milk, and as a result I don't trust them for long term storage.

Maybe the JUICE containers are better, which are about the same size except they had Apple Juice instead of Milk.

If you can clean out the milk containers completely then I guess you can use them (maybe leave some bleach water inside for a week and then rinse out and use for actual water).
condomain

Postby FussyOldHen » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:58 pm

The bottom line: use what you've got.

But I don't trust those soft-plastic milk bottles, whether they contained milk or were bought new with water in them. I've had too many failures and messes.

You don't have to go crazy with bleach. If the water was clean when you put it in, and the container was clean, it should be fine if you store it in a dark place. If you have a well and haven't had it tested for bacteria recently, it might be a good idea to do so before you start storing the water.
FussyOldHen

Postby Excaliber » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:13 pm

I use the 2 liter bottles also. Just dumped what i had in the washing machine and refilled. They were a year old and looked and tasted just like when i filled them. I use the green and clear bottles and could not see any difference. They are stored in a well insulated completely dark room.
Excaliber

Postby ARDon » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:04 pm

FussyOldHen wrote:The bottom line: use what you've got.

But I don't trust those soft-plastic milk bottles, whether they contained milk or were bought new with water in them. I've had too many failures and messes.

You don't have to go crazy with bleach. If the water was clean when you put it in, and the container was clean, it should be fine if you store it in a dark place. If you have a well and haven't had it tested for bacteria recently, it might be a good idea to do so before you start storing the water.

sorry to hear, but I've been storing them for many years w/o any problems. I had my well tested many time Fussy, with zero issues. I rather have well water than what is in municipal water.
ARDon

Postby mccorpsman » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:50 am

I bring home .5, 1, and 1.5 liter bottles from the hospital that had sterile water and saline in them. They're tough, free, food grade, seal well and stack tightly to one another. I have loads in the freezer to act as a thermal load in case the power goes out - they'll keep my food from spoiling as fast and as they thaw I have clean drinking water.
mccorpsman
Florida Preppers Network
Florida Preppers Network

Postby Fullmoon » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:38 pm

I have used milk jugs also but they seem to break down after a couple of years and leak all over everything. Now my water is stored in the garage so if something leaks it will run off the cement floor without hurting anything. I also have 200 "Arizona Ice Tea" jugs, big heavy duty food grade plastic jugs filled with emergency drinking water. These are stacked on a metal rack/shelf system. I didn't put any chlorine in the water jugs as my well has good sweet water so no chlorine required. I also keep a 35 gallon water container with a brass hose bib in the lower side and this sits up on a cut tree round high enough to place a 5 gallon bucket under it to fill it.
Fullmoon

Postby ReadyMom » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:33 pm

Please do NOT store your water in milk jugs. You can find more information in our water getting started thread: viewtopic.php?f=616&t=3919&hilit=Milk+jug. I'm sorry I'm using my phone to post right now and cannot type more. But all the important information is over on that thread about the use of milk jugs for water storage. -k
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby FussyOldHen » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:34 pm

You're lucky, Don. I had my water jugs filling the floor in a hall closet. Then I put two pieces of triple-layer cardboard across the tops, and another layer of water jugs, and then some food stuff.

Walking barefoot past the closet, I felt water in the carpet. I opened the door, and found that two of the jugs in the second layer had leaked, soaked the cardboard, and drained down into the carpet. Something of a mess to clean up. Now I only store my water in the kitchen and the garage, just in case.

Glad you have good water. Many of the people around here have NEVER tested their well water.
FussyOldHen

Postby ARDon » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:54 am

Fussy, I'm just going off of what the guy said to me were I got my milk crates from. I told him why I needed them, he said " to store these types of jugs correctly in crates you have to have the handles facing the interior corners of the crate", I've done this for many yrs w/o leaking or breakage. I store most of my prep's in this large utility closet. their 60 1 gal milk jugs w/water /12 4-1gal crates.
ARDon

Postby Cowlouie » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:05 am

Clearly, the key to using milk jugs is to have the milk crates to support and protect them properly. We use the 1 or 2 liter bottles ourselves, but I wouldn't be scared of using milk jugs. I've heard and read all of the stories about contamination, but I think it's part of the chicken little syndrome we are surrounded by now a days, IMO. Clean 'em properly, a little bleach, good to go.
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are at" Theodore Roosevelt
Cowlouie
Iowa Preppers Network
Iowa Preppers Network

Next

Return to Water