• Advertisement

storing water 2 liter bottles

Discussions about water storage, filtration, purification and procurement

Re: storing water 2 liter bottles

Postby broden » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:19 am

putting them in the crates even if they are not stacked takes some of the outward pressure from the water off of the side of the bottle.. or more correctly supports it with the crate walls like scaffolding.remember the water in a container isn't just pushing down but also outwardly
broden

Postby Fallon » Tue May 06, 2014 9:11 am

I think Broden's probably right. The milk crate takes pressure off one side, and all of the other 3 bottles take pressure off the other sides. It's probably the outward pushing force that speeds up the pinhole leaks. Eventually they may leak even in a crate, but it just takes much much longer. Unsupported, the water weight is probably stretching the thin plastic walls.
On résiste à l'invasion des armées; on ne résiste pas à l'invasion des idées.
Fallon

Postby ARDon » Tue May 06, 2014 4:26 pm

Broden, I was trying saying what you mention in my last several post on milk jugs that the crate helps evenly distribute the weight of the jugs so they dont get damage or leak. Thanks for chimming in.
ARDon

Postby ReadyMom » Tue May 06, 2014 9:13 pm

Reading the reasoning behind the use of crates for the jugs makes sense!! Thanks to both of you for making me think about this in a way I hadn't before! And I agree, that it IS possible that the use of the crates *may* just prolong the inevitable..... pin holes. But I don't have enough personal experience to know for sure.-k
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby ARDon » Wed May 07, 2014 11:37 am

ReadyMom, My post by NO means was to prove anyone wrong, just to say "why I had good success" storing water in milk jugs. Many will still not accept the reasoning behind this and that is quite OK in my book. But if anyone out their was wanting to use milk jugs for storing water my post was to simply state it's OK, I openly outlined the cleaning process "I" go through and how I store them with water in them. I'm opened minded person and always seeking "new" information on long term storage of food & perishables along with new pepper information to the preppers life style. Thank you for your reply & open mindedness on the milk jug storage. :)
ARDon

Postby broden » Fri May 09, 2014 7:18 am

been away.. this has been a good thread

milk crates have tons of uses so good to have some around regardless
broden

Postby BigOrange75 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:59 am

Ran across this old thread and want to add some input. I buy gallon jugs of distilled water to use in my CPAP machine and reuse them as water jugs. With these I don't have to worry because they haven't had milk, juice, or whatever in them. I keep a few in the freezer, perfect to bust up when making home made ice cream, and did store some on a shelf. Had a couple leak on the shelf so I started using milk crates and have had no more leakers. I only had a few crates and got to checking pricing on new ones and the cost wasn't worth it to me. Seems like everybody has a few but they are hard to find on the cheap, yard sales and flea markets but not for sale. I check the freebies on craigslist often and lucked into 10 of them recently from a college student moving out of an apartment for free. Probably a one time find. Also as I have heard before store them with jug handles to the middle to keep more support on the sides because they are so thin.
BigOrange75
Tennessee Preppers Network
Tennessee Preppers Network

Postby Norman11 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:47 pm

A 55 gal Barrel used $20.00 Cleaned would make a more efficient use of space and a lot less work than 55 I gal. or more 2 liter containers. Not near as breakable or likely to leak

Norman11
Norman11

Postby IceFire » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:56 pm

Norman11 wrote:A 55 gal Barrel used $20.00 Cleaned would make a more efficient use of space and a lot less work than 55 I gal. or more 2 liter containers. Not near as breakable or likely to leak

Norman11

It's all about diversifying...I have 14 55 gal barrels of water stored, AND 166 (83 gallons) 2 qt juice bottles of water. Can't get those 55 gallon barrels in the house (have to store those outside), but I CAN store several gallons worth of the 2 qt bottles in the house. I also have several 20 oz bottles that I keep on the nightstand (have meds that I have to take WiTH WATER before I get up in the morning.) I like having options.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Water