• Advertisement

Buying water filter... which one?

Discussions about water storage, filtration, purification and procurement

Buying water filter... which one?

Postby Cool Cat22 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:06 am

Hello, I'm going to buy a water filter for prepping and daily use... I'm going to college and the water that comes out of the tap is not the best. I'm probably going to get a Travel Berkey. I was wondering if anybody has had any experience with them? I'm also thinking about buying a life straw incase I need to bug out on foot.

I'm relatively new at preparing, and I'm wondering if those are good buys. :?

Thanks!
Cool Cat22

Re: Buying water filter... which one?

Postby Gunns » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:17 am

A lot of people on here are Berkey fans. I am not. I bought two, both were faulty and did not filter. If I had relied on them for my life they would have killed me.

I ended up building my own. I built two sets using 5 gallon food grade buckets and buying a cermic silver charcoal filter system. Built them, tested them, cleaned them up and stored them.

I am also a big fan of Water Savers and can't say enough about Sawyer.

http://www.amazon.com/Emergency-Silver- ... B008NP27M8
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby divers351 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:29 pm

I have the Katadyn Gravidyn system. Seems to be working well for 6 months...stay on my counter. Although, since I have never run anything but tap water in it AND I have never had it tested....I will not misrepresent that it actually works :) I know for sure it removes the taste and slight CL odor from my Florida tapwater.
divers351

Postby Cool Cat22 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:35 pm

I just looked at Katadyn, Sawer, and the linked H20 filter, but they don't seam suitable for everyday use... they are plastic which I think is a leading cause of cancer. If there is no other filters on the market I will have to go with Berkey since it is stainless steal. They do have a lifetime warranty so how do I test to see if it is not working? I will just check it regularly, and if it stops filtering ask them for a replacement.
Cool Cat22

Postby no1uno » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:16 pm

no1uno

Postby terrapin » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:32 am

The only filters I have experience with is Berkey. The others, I can't say.
About 5 or 6 years ago, I bought two Black Berkeys. Have used them daily ever since.
ALL my drinking water goes through the Berkeys first.
Must be thousands of gallons by now.
Every 6 months, I scrub them down with a toothbrush, rinse them out,
and I'm back in business.
There may be better filters, or less expensive ones.
I'm completely satisfied with the Berkeys.
terp
terrapin

Postby divers351 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:49 am

I think major considerations for buying a water filter are - How many gallons per day are you looking for? What are you wanting to filter? Virus's? Quality of the water being filtered - sediment load. I would venture a guess that most people in the US using water filters have never actually put "polluted water" (you define polluted) in their water filters and THEN had the water tested at a professional lab.
divers351

Postby Cool Cat22 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:19 pm

My Berkey is on the way. I have also ordered (from a separate company) a water tester. I'm going to test various unclean water sources, dump them into the berkley, and then test how clean is the water when it comes out of the filter. If the test shows its safe I might take a drink and see how it taste. Will update when the testing is done!
Cool Cat22

Postby Cool Cat22 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:13 am

I just received my Berkey last night, and I have run some very basic tests on it. I will note that properly priming the filters was a pain, and doing that in a survival situation would be near in possible as you need a large amount of water pressure to do so... a good rain collection system might provide enough pressure. That being said without using the full priming method you can still get 50% flow.

http://www.berkeyfilters.com/berkey-ans ... key/prime/

Anyway, the filter does work well once primed. It was able to completely filter out red food coloring as advertised, and it filtered my tap water...

Tap: 225 ppm
Fridge Filter: 185 ppm
Berkey Filter : 165 ppm (this is a very good number, to much lower and it would be filtering out all the helpful minerals)

The next step is I'm going to test well water, rain water, and puddle water.

EDIT:
Another important (yet obvious) feature about this filter is that the filtered water is not sitting in a plastic container leaching out carcinogens into my water... like my fridge, and other popular filters :thumbsup:
Cool Cat22

Postby americanblogger1 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:08 pm

Hello Cool Cat22,

I use a couple different water filters. I have a personal water straw and a counter top. I use the counter top as an everyday use because my tap water has a color and odor smell so my counter top takes all that out and puts the minerals back into the water. I have a couple personal water straws, I have one in my bug out bag, I use one when I go hiking and camping. http://www.shtfandgo.com/h2o/waterstraw This is the personal water straw that I use. I really like it. It takes out .2 microns, it's small, and easy to use. Enjoy!
americanblogger1

Postby Illini Warrior » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:33 pm

company with the same filtering product offering as Home Spun

..... .http://www.monolithicmarketplace.com/co ... collection ...
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby hollyrbraswell » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:33 am

thanks for this helpful forum.
hollyrbraswell

Postby FloridaPrepper » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:32 am

If you are looking for mobility Frontier makes an affordable filter straw and Berkey makes their Sport Berkey which is a filtered bottle that holds 22 oz. Sawyer also makes a good filter straw, but it is a bit more expensive. If you need a countertop unit the Big Berkey and Imperial Berkey are great choices. Just make sure you have enough to change out the filters when the time comes as they are expensive. These are all great prepper supplies that will do what you need.
http://completeprepperstore.com
FloridaPrepper

Postby Worst-Case-Rob » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:42 am

Sawyer, from Walmart, attaches to any water bottle for daily use. Filters 100K gallons.
Worst-Case-Rob

Postby HoppyGirl » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:23 pm

I have a Big Berkey, very efficient, but I don't like the taste. We have mini Sawyers for travel, but I think the Katadyn's may be among the best.
HoppyGirl

Next

Return to Water