• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

baofang radio

General HAM Radio topics. A great place for both experienced operators and for newbies to get started and ask questions

Re: baofang radio

Postby kappydell » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:44 pm

www.mtcradio.com%2Fblackbird-vhf-uhf-jp ... a-2m-70cm-

Some of us are retired and find the cost index a real limiting factor to our hobby. So I am posting this info, as the above is for an AFFORDABLE (to us pore folks) antenna with no grounding required. It is under $40, comes with mounting hardware, and all you need to hook it up is a coax to screw onto your baofeng. OK, range is only around 50 miles, but it does break down nicely, comes witn mounting heardware for pvc pipe, wood or metal masts, and even has a hole on top so you can put it up in a tree for expedient use. It comes in both the vhf/uhf frequency as well as a GMRS frequency one. I am getting myself one of each for my birthday, looks like it will mount nicely on my RV ladder and take down easily for portability.

I like my Baofengs; I have both kinds and both are good value for the $$. These antennas will increase their versatility. (and yes, I do have a general ham license; my roommate is going the GMRS route as she chokes on tests and the ham test freaks her out. That way we have multiple alternate coms)

88 - KD9FOC
New laws are like new taxes....both evolve, but they never go away.
kappydell
Wisconsin Preppers Network

Postby Scoutmaster » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:04 am

I can say saving money is great, and first on my list also. I have been retired for over 10 years. and saving money is my direction also. I want Something that works will continue to work and last as long as I do. I guess I am very lucky I got into ham in the early 70s and have been at it ever scene. I never got very interested in the HF bands ( although I have it) I always felt it depended greatly on the band conditions rather than equipment. So I stayed in the UHF and VHF area built a dozen or so repeater systems, Still have one operating from my home that covers much of south east Michigan. That has kept me busy and still does, What I am saying i guess its I have repair ability and longevity in my blood.

I do have a question, I could not get your link to work, I am assuming it is some kind of antenna. I hope you are not thinking that any UHF or VHF radio with only 3 or 4 watts will reach 50 miles on simplex? I have spent much of my adult life trying to extend VHF coverage. With with a good elevation a gain antenna on both ends even 50 miles will be hard to accomplished. Now if you are talking a RPT that might answer the question, of course that might not be there during a SHTF

See if you can re-do the link always looking for better portable equipment
PREPPERS SAVE THE EXCUSES, IT'S NOT ABOUT HAVING TIME, IT'S ABOUT MAKING TIME, IF IT MATTERS YOU WILL HAVE TIME
Every one has priorities, different for each of us, main reasons most of us can not form a group that will last our priorities are all different so are you. REMEMBER, IF YOUR PREP PRIORITIES ARE LOWER THEN THE PEOPLE YOU CAN'T WORK WITH, THEY MIGHT MAKE IT AND YOU WON'T, DON'T BLAME THEM FOR NOT OFFERING YOU HELP LATER, WHEN YOU FAIL LATER AND YOUR IN TROUBLE. BLAME YOUR PRIORITIES.
Scoutmaster
Michigan Preppers Network

Postby kappydell » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:25 pm

http://www.mtcradio.com
its the blackbird j-pole, 'tactical base' antenna. Three options:
model 2M/70cm for ham 143-149 MHz & 437-450 MHz
model MAR/GMRS for gmrs 150-156 MHz & 460-470 MHz
model FIRE/POL 155-161 MHz & 450-460 MHz

looking forward to mounting atop my RV, then going repeater hunting (I have the hard copy book from the ARRL on repeaters for all states). Reviews are quite good on it - that is where one user mentioned a 50-mile range.
For the price it is cheap enough to get me to try it.
New laws are like new taxes....both evolve, but they never go away.
kappydell

Postby Hansel1 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:14 pm

15 bucks worth of plumbing supplies and some solder will create an antenna with the same performance... there are ample of plans on the net and you can even make them so you can take em apart by using the right parts.

Hans
Hansel1

Postby Scoutmaster » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:17 am

looking forward to mounting atop my RV, then going repeater hunting (I have the hard copy book from the ARRL on repeaters for all states)

I think you will find that the state by state listings are much more accurate, At least for Michigan I know of repeaters that have been taken off the air years ago, or never even made it to going on the air in the first place are still on many of the nation wide listings.
PREPPERS SAVE THE EXCUSES, IT'S NOT ABOUT HAVING TIME, IT'S ABOUT MAKING TIME, IF IT MATTERS YOU WILL HAVE TIME
Every one has priorities, different for each of us, main reasons most of us can not form a group that will last our priorities are all different so are you. REMEMBER, IF YOUR PREP PRIORITIES ARE LOWER THEN THE PEOPLE YOU CAN'T WORK WITH, THEY MIGHT MAKE IT AND YOU WON'T, DON'T BLAME THEM FOR NOT OFFERING YOU HELP LATER, WHEN YOU FAIL LATER AND YOUR IN TROUBLE. BLAME YOUR PRIORITIES.
Scoutmaster

Previous

Return to HAM Radio Open Discussions