• Advertisement

Buying a vacuum sealer,question

Vacuum Sealer discussions

Buying a vacuum sealer,question

Postby somuchtodo » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:10 pm

I have a little extra money and want to buy a sealer. I'm torn between these 2. I don't really see any difference but maybe those of you that are more knowledgeable might see something.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/FoodSaver-Vac ... r/16652298
http://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-V2244-V ... uum+sealer
somuchtodo

Re: Buying a vacuum sealer,question

Postby ohiofarmer » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:27 pm

Go haunt some garage sales. People get board with them and give up. I have a self and an automatic. 20.00 dollars each, different sales. My 2 get used about 6 hours a week for last 3 years. Heavier during hunting season. Farmer
ohiofarmer
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Postby Illini Warrior » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:45 pm

I wouldn't buy one without the option to extend the vacuum cycle .... the better Foodsaver brand sealers has this available .... the regular time limit built into the machines isn't always enough vac time .... I like to get a really tite fit when I seal items down onto a paperboard backer ..... same requirement if you have big packages with alot of air volume involved ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby broden » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:38 pm

those are both the same machine

i have that one had it for over a year been happy with it

if i'm wrong if there is actually some difference then i own the amazon model

often times walmart gets companies to make something with a special designation just for them sometimes with different attributes sometimes not
broden

Postby somuchtodo » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:13 pm

So you think it's the same machine but different model numbers because one is Walmart and the other Amazon? I thought they looked the same,etc but I thought maybe there was something different I didn't see
somuchtodo

Postby broden » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:16 pm

that's what it looks like to me .. i can't see any other difference . mine has 2244 on it and of the two as you've shown them looks to be the cheaper one price wise
broden

Postby RayMac1963 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:26 pm

ohiofarmer wrote:Go haunt some garage sales. People get board with them and give up.

HA! Speak for yourself. I ran my first one for years till that sucker died on me, and I love my second one :p

Actually, Farmer is right. You can find a LOT of good prepping tools at garage/yard sales and flea markets. People buy on fad, and it collects dust after a few uses. I have some new Coleman Dual Fuel lanterns that are brand spanking new, but 5 to 10 years old that cost pennies on the dollar second hand.
I can't help but think God is up there right now saying "its time to shake the ol' Etch-A-Sketch and restart humanity again".

My Blog---> http://urbanprepperdiary.blogspot.com
RayMac1963
Michigan Preppers Network

Postby JayJay » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:54 pm

ohiofarmer wrote:Go haunt some garage sales. People get board with them and give up. I have a self and an automatic. 20.00 dollars each, different sales. My 2 get used about 6 hours a week for last 3 years. Heavier during hunting season. Farmer

I've been a yard sale lady for years--have never seen a vacuum sealer at one. You were lucky.
HAPPINESS is not a fish you catch but a fish you feed.
JayJay

Postby ohiofarmer » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:52 am

Jay some of the older members in the group run Garage sales & Auctions every week. We have a wish list and they usually find it. Between prepping stuff - collectables - canning stuff - camping stuff - hunting and fishing stuff they have it covered. That's how I have it covered. Farmer
ohiofarmer
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Postby Illini Warrior » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:58 am

JayJay wrote:
ohiofarmer wrote:Go haunt some garage sales. People get board with them and give up. I have a self and an automatic. 20.00 dollars each, different sales. My 2 get used about 6 hours a week for last 3 years. Heavier during hunting season. Farmer

I've been a yard sale lady for years--have never seen a vacuum sealer at one. You were lucky.

you kidding? .... I see over a dozen every year .... just saw another one this weekend .... usually cheap as hell - $5-$20 at most .... I buy the bagging separately if I can .... what I'd like to find is one of those big countertop Foodsavers
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby broden » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:05 am

i don't have to though no doubt the time will come eventually. i saw a website the other day about taking a foodsaver apart and cleaning out the works.

has anyone ever done that here?

i figure when the time comes i'll have nothing to lose by trying
broden

Postby Drakenstead1 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:18 pm

I would suggest that neither is a good option. We bought one called a "FoodSaver V3440" for about $125.00. After we had used it for a while we began to regret going with this cheaper version! I wish we had popped the extra $100 for top of the line
This one has a regular and gentle setting and a wet or dry setting both of which are very handy. The sealer and vacuum can operate independently. It also has an accessory outlet for a hose.
This thing has saved us so much money that it only took a month or two to realize that based on savings we could have spent more for a higher grade unit and still come out way ahead.
Save a bit more and move up. It will be well worth it.
We don't lose food to freezer burn, we can use it to vacuum mylar bags for long term storage, it's great for wild game or garden veggies and super for thing like chile & spag sauce prepared (by us) chicken and even sealing ammo & first aid stuff for Bug Out Bags
Drakenstead1

Postby RayMac1963 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:38 pm

Drakenstead1 wrote: even sealing ammo & first aid stuff for Bug Out Bags

I do this and highly recommend it. It relieves a lot of worry about storing gear.
I can't help but think God is up there right now saying "its time to shake the ol' Etch-A-Sketch and restart humanity again".

My Blog---> http://urbanprepperdiary.blogspot.com
RayMac1963

Postby somuchtodo » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:13 pm

Drakenstead, the one you got you can vacuum and seal mylar bags with it? I saw the 3400 model for $139 with a $15 coupon for instant savings. If that's the case I'll take this one back
somuchtodo

Postby Drakenstead1 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:43 pm

Yes somuch. Pop in an O2 absorber then wrap the mylar bag around the tube plugged into the "accessory" port and suction the air. Then hold the bag tight over a 2 x 2 & using an Electric Clothes Iron seal the bag Sarpi (the guy who had all his guns confiscated 'cause the DR labeled him a nut job) has a Utube Video on it. I lost the link but it should be easy to find. Good luck with the food sucker. As I said it's great. We buy things like burger & chicken breast in 12 lb bags really cheap and pack it in vacuumed bags portioned for 2. That way we can use bulk discounts on meat and not lose $$. We've eaten chicken after 2 years in the vacuum bags and it's pristine
Drakenstead1

Next

Return to Vacuum Sealing