• Advertisement

What use for gallon pickle jars?

Tips and ideas on how to make the most of what we have....or what others have thrown away.

Re: What use for gallon pickle jars?

Postby watcher » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:23 pm

Was cleaning the work room today and came across the gallon pickle jar with the hand warmer (O2 absorbeR) in it. Still sealed after almost 2 years.
Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire. The former are idealists acting from highest motives for the greatest good of the greatest number. The latter are surly curmudgeons, suspicious and lacking in altruism. But they are more comfortable neighbors than the other sort.
watcher
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby catfeet » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:00 pm

Dehydrated foods. Either 02A them, or oven can them.
catfeet
Vermont Preppers Network
Vermont Preppers Network

Postby danthman114 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:23 pm

Rice, salt, beans, brass, ammo, make arrow heads out of them... It's a container and it's only limited by your imagination...
danthman114

Postby HaloStar » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:15 pm

I have several of these as well. I painted them to look like mercury glass, and use them as "decor". Inside are flashlights, light sticks, candles, etc. <shrug> I do a lot of the "hide in plain site".
HaloStar
Ohio Preppers Network
Ohio Preppers Network

Postby Lifelong Survivalist » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:06 pm

Maybe you can use it for arts and crafts some how, either for mixing stuff in or dying in, or art tools in or to make some sort of decoration out of, maybe some type of fancy candle holder that fits in it. Maybe you could use it to make a paper mache animal body along with a balloon for a head and put on a thick mache and just leave it on the jar and hide something inside it before you add the balloon and head, arms, ears,nose etc. It would have weight to keep it in place on a shelf or some place. Out of sight...out of mind. a decoration hiding place in plain sight. That's about the best idea I can come up with. It the glass inside it gets broken, at leas it should be still contained inside the thick mache on the outside of it. Just paint it after the mache is ready. I like paper mache. :D :shakeyes: Lifelong:-)
UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL :-)
Lifelong Survivalist

Postby Lifelong Survivalist » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:18 pm

Hi Fussy, I thought of another use for your gallon jars. You could store Garden seed Packets in it. We don't eat Garden Seeds, and they keep and stay viable for a long, long time if kept dry and in a dark place with low humidity. Don't need to be sealed and don't need dessicant or 02 absorbers to my knowledge. When you have one jar stuffed with seed envelopes, you will have a ton of Garden Seeds for yourself. You might consider filling more jars for Barter Seeds. They will be very valuable for Barter if SHTF. Especially in the 2nd Spring of a long term one. Some of your Garden plants will also produce seeds that are collectable for saving too. Pumpkins, squashes, and basically most that flower and get pollinated. Just put them in reg mailing envelopes, seal, and label (kind, and year grown) and save.
UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL :-)
Lifelong Survivalist

Postby arkieready » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:30 pm

FussyOldHen wrote:It never occurred to me to use an O2 absorber to seal the jar!

All of those are good ideas. I was just staring at the jars and coming up empty. All I could think of was a woman who came into the vet's office where I worked with a young kitten in a big jar (holes in the lid). My brain stuck there.

Like my first boss said, "Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits".

I laughed so loud I scared DH. No kidding, a gal brought me a Banty rooster in a pickle jar, holes in the lid and all. I soon put him in a cardboard box, but sure did laugh at him all insulted stuffed in a jar.
P!

Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.

--Robert Frost--
arkieready
Arkansas Preppers Network
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby kappydell » Sun May 01, 2016 12:05 am

I'm surprised that nobody has suggested making sauerkraut in your gallon jars. Use a recipe for making kraut by the quart, and multiply it by four. I make mine by the quart jar but would love to have a few gallon jars around when the cabbages all ripen at once. Once the kraut is made you may freeze it or can it in smaller meal-size jars. If you don't have a recipe for jar sauerkraut, here is one...
SAUERKRAUT MADE BY THE JAR
Quarter and shred cabbage finely. Mix about 5 pounds cabbage with 2 ounces kosher, pickling, or sea salt (no chemicals added) and pack solidly in the jars. Fill with cold water to within 1/2 inch of the top of the jar, and screw on the cap (do not have to seal it). I put mine in a plastic dish pan because there is usually some leakage, and some folks don't like the smell. I also use distilled water to eliminate any possible interference in fermentation by the hard water from my well. Leave in a warm place 3-4 days to ferment. The warmer the spot the quicker it ferments.
When the bubbling stops, wash the outside of the jars, tighten the lids if loose. You can store in a refrigerator or cold place for a couple months, freeze in smaller containers, or can it.
To can it-
Repack in clean jars, filling with solids to 1/2 inch of the top and covering with the kraut liquid (or a weak brine of 2 TB salt to 1 quart of water if you don't have enough kraut juice). Leave 1/2 inch head space. Free up any big air bubbles, wipe the jar rims and put on boiled caps. Process 15 min in a boiling water bath (both pints and quarts).

You can always sell those jars too....around here they go for $1 to $5 each at yard sales.
New laws are like new taxes....both evolve, but they never go away.
kappydell
Wisconsin Preppers Network
Wisconsin Preppers Network

Postby blue fox » Wed May 04, 2016 7:17 pm

You might check plumbing supply stores or any place that sells rubber seals and gaskets. See if they have any that might fit inside the lid.
blue fox
Kansas Preppers Network
Kansas Preppers Network

Postby IceFire » Wed May 04, 2016 10:58 pm

They make good containers for milk from your cow(s) or goat(s), for curing olives, or fermenting other foods.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby woodsstalker » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:17 pm

Also great for making wine. Since the opening is covered with a balloon no lid is needed.
If the grass on the other side of the mountain is starting to look greener maybe it's time you fertilized your own grass.

Blessed be the Lord, my strength, which teacheth my hands to war and my fingers to fight- Psalm 144:1
woodsstalker

Postby marika » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:31 am

I've used them for pickled eggs and making sauerkraut. And sun tea. And starting friendship bread, or large batch of sourdough.
marika

Postby danthman114 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:38 am

store rice, beans, dried corn, sugar, salt, make wine, etc etc.

btw, air HAS to escape if you plan on wine making. otherwise it WILL blow up and youll have a nice sticky mess on your hands
danthman114

Previous

Return to Reduce, Reuse, Recycle