• Advertisement

What is your favorite knife for a SHTF / bugout situation?

Knives and Multi-tools discussions

Re: What is your favorite knife for a SHTF / bugout situatio

Postby theoutback » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:18 am

My leatherman is always on my belt, so that's the knife for a BO for me. I've got a few cheap knives in my Bob too as carlos suggested.
theoutback

Postby AuntBee » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:15 am

I have a folding Buck knife that I can't get to fold again. :( No, there is no button to press that I can find, and I'm afraid to try and force it b/c I don't wanna cut off my fingers. Anybody want a shiny new Buck Knife, 5 inch blade?

Bee
AuntBee
New York Preppers Network

Postby terrapin » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:30 pm

AuntBee wrote:I have a folding Buck knife that I can't get to fold again. :( No, there is no button to press that I can find, and I'm afraid to try and force it b/c I don't wanna cut off my fingers. Anybody want a shiny new Buck Knife, 5 inch blade?

Bee

Bee, Most likely it has a blade lock.
Try looking for a thin piece of metal up near the front
where the blade pivots.
If you find it, try pushing it to one side while folding the blade.

If that don't work, send it to me.
I'll check it out and send it back to you.
Or else, I'll contact Buck and get you a new one.
terp
terrapin

Postby terrapin » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:36 pm

terrapin wrote:
AuntBee wrote:I have a folding Buck knife that I can't get to fold again. :( No, there is no button to press that I can find, and I'm afraid to try and force it b/c I don't wanna cut off my fingers. Anybody want a shiny new Buck Knife, 5 inch blade?

Bee

Bee, Most likely it has a blade lock.
Try looking for a thin piece of metal up near the front
where the blade pivots.
If you find it, try pushing it to one side while folding the blade.

If that don't work, send it to me.
I'll check it out and send it back to you.
Or else, I'll contact Buck and get you a new one.
terp

Another thought.
Some Bucks have a button near the back, on the spine.
If that's the case, try pushing the button while folding the blade.

What is the model of the knife?
We'll get this figured out.
terrapin

Postby divers351 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:03 am

Kershaw LEEK for EDC
KaBar BK2 in the bag
Himalayan Imports M43 Kukri if the zombies attack
divers351

Postby AuntBee » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:36 am

Terp, wow, thank you for your help! it's called a 110 folding hunter. You're right, there's a latch sort of at the end of the hilt, and also two small buttons mid-handle. I press the latch at the end, and can see how it connects to the blade, but I can't make it fold. Maybe it's arthritis. I am happy to send the damnn thing to you! Check your messages. :D :) :D

Aunt Bee
stabbity stabbity

AuntBee

Postby Vetmike » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:53 am

Buck 110 Folding Hunter. Have had one for over thirty years. Buck 119 is also a great Knife. The K-Bar 7 in Marine is a great fighting knife (just make sure you get the actual K-Bar. Lots of phonies out there). I have a Kershaw that is about fifty years old. But my favorite knife is the Mora Light My Fire. Wicked sharp blade, handy dandy fire steel and good price. I have one in every vehicle, every BOB and some scattered around the house and shop. BudK lists them for $35 but I've found them for as little as $20
I also have bayonets for every AR, M1A and my -06. People who will face a rifle will turn green and puke when faced with eight to sixteen inches of bare steel.
Vetmike

Postby ajax727 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:16 pm

That is a tuff question K-Bar have several . Bucks have several -Budk have several -BK 1217 this one is real nice . I collect knives have for 30 years so I have a few . Lock blade , folders , sheath knives . Trench knives ,Bayonets , Knives made from hacksaw blades knives made from chainsaw blades . Hard to pick just one but if I had to it would be the KBars
To see things as they are not as they want you to see them .. With the stroke of a pen all you rights and freedom can end ...
ajax727

Postby 3ADScout » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:44 pm

I just picked up a Maverik Buck knife, with a white handle, package says Made in USA. Paid $19.99 at the local walmart. Plastic sheath that can be worn on belt or can be used as a neck knife. It is small but can't wait to use it around the BOL.
3ADScout

Postby MSLE_Supply » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:44 am

Thats a tough one! Out of the thousands of choices I have, I love my Becker BK7, closely followed by the BK2 and the Schrade SCHF9.
MSLE_Supply

Postby kbarrett13 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:29 am

I like only the Ka-Bar knives for me their the best though time and tested use.
kbarrett13

Postby irdly » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:59 pm

it's a mistake to try to make one knife do it all. if the blade is thin enough to be worth a hoot at skinning and cutting meat, it's too fragile for batonning wood, prying,etc. So I went with my chisel-hawk, a Leatherman Signal, the carbon steel lid (hinged) for my 2 qt canteen cup, and a "pocket chainsaw", the one with 3x as many teeth as normal. I can sharpen and haft the cup/lid if I need a machete, but I aint lugging around one of those clunks. The cold-chisel with the tang for driving thru a 1.5" stick, that can pry, split wood, cut a bolt or nut, cut a lock hasp, cut chainlink fence. I also carry a small vicegrip with some Metal cutting reciprocating saw blades. The tool kit totals about 2 lbs and can do an amazingly wide variety of tasks, without the risk of turning or chipping my knife edge, or breaking the blade. I normally edc a small folder, and the Signal rides in the BOB.. it's too big, heavy and expensive for normal carry. If shtf, I wont be abandoning my daily folder, so it can go into the BOB when the Signal comes into play.. Having a spare cutting edge is always a good idea, when you are miles from nowhere
irdly

Postby OMark » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:16 pm

I want a knife that I can have on me at all times, that means its gotta be a small folder. Right now my EDC is a Para Military 2.
OMark

Postby risky buisness » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:33 pm

Im seeing some interesting responces in this topics replys, Im convinced that most folks nailed the gist of the issue by stating that just one knife/ tool would not be suffecient. In my own case, my everpresent leatherman wave with small flashlite, ferro rod and diamond hone all in the belt.pouch is a must, if its a serious deal, then my ESSE 6hm is going with. Once again, if serious, my bob is going too which contains a bacco laplander folding saw, a buck 110 folder and as a back up, my dads USMC issue KA-BAR. Its all pretty subjective as to exactly what to pack around. Have to match your perferences to your preconcived idea of need.
risky buisness

Postby sageprice » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:37 am

Keep a large tactical that I never use. A Mora that handles most cutting, and a Japanese gardening knife that does most of my grunt/ dirty work, like digging.
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network

Previous

Return to Knives and Multi-tools